PDA

View Full Version : Tartar SAM clone

jharding58
10-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I have always liked the Tartar - from the Estes DOM and kit releases through the cloning of the model and building a 2.6" version. The parts for the clone of Estes #1360 are available from Semroc - including a LC fin set, and the kit decals from Excelsior. One of my personal favorites and also flies very well on a C6-5. You can also find the PNC-55AC in the PNC-55 assortment (Estes #303163) direct from Estes. There are 2 in the bag, the remaining 2 being perfect for a BT-55 based WAC Corporal

MarkB.
10-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I always like the Tartar and I really enjoyed the FlisKit Tartar which is BT-60 based and therefore slightly larger than the Estes. It was a neat build even though it had lots of paper detail parts. Even my non-paper-friendly techniques built a cool model in White Sands test scheme.

I'll post a picture tonight.

blackshire
10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
I have always liked the Tartar - from the Estes DOM and kit releases through the cloning of the model and building a 2.6" version. The parts for the clone of Estes #1360 are available from Semroc - including a LC fin set, and the kit decals from Excelsior. One of my personal favorites and also flies very well on a C6-5. You can also find the PNC-55AC in the PNC-55 assortment (Estes #303163) direct from Estes. There are 2 in the bag, the remaining 2 being perfect for a BT-55 based WAC CorporalThe 11 degree conical BT-55 nose cone (originally used in the Estes Black Brant II kit) isn't the right included angle for the WAC Corporal (whose nose cone was a 14 degree cone). The Black Brant II, Black Brant III, and Black Brant IV used 11 degree conical nose cones (although in different diameters).

jharding58
10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
On this, I shall not unduly perspire regarding minutiae

blackshire
10-24-2011, 07:45 PM
On this, I shall not unduly perspire regarding minutiaeBe thankful that you never contracted "accuracy fever" with regard to scale model rockets--I was finally able to fight it off, as it can ruin one's enjoyment of this area of the hobby--but when an accurate part is available for a good price, I'll get it.

jharding58
10-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Yep, semi-scale solves many ills. It is like rudder size on model aircraft.