PDA

View Full Version : PDR SS Cassiopia and A20 Demon kits

Green Dragon
07-30-2006, 03:23 PM
well, working diligently on my Cassiopia from PDR.

This was one I always wanted in the day, but never did get - so when I saw it listed, had to grab one .

first thing I noted was how small this is... I know we've all had that happen ( things were 'bigger' as kids, lol - I recall Bill's comments on the taurus clone particularly, lol ) , just I figured this was Andromeda or Alien Explorer sized and it's much shorter than I remembered.
Upscale already in the works, lol .

anyways - kit looks real good and so far going together well .

I did get one fin ever so slightly off from perfectly straight out from the BT :-( , I'm using the estes yellow angle guide for these ( won;t fit well on the old grey fin fixture guide), so must have slipped just barely , it's 120 degrees, but not 'perpendiculer' exactly ... would not be as much of an issue on a 3fnc, but with the ring it will take some tweaking .

comments on the kit itself - nice parts, high grade stuff. my only 'mini-issue' is the shock cord, it's 1/4" elastic which is good, but seems overkill, and fairly short - I;d much rather see a longer length of 1/8" elastic, or Kevlar, but he's obviously trying to keep the vintage feel to the kit with the tri-fold mount ( which ,incidently,worked fine for 30+ years ).
The decals look a little fuzzy, but nice and bright, will have to see how they look once completed, give me a week or so to sand,seal,sand,sand, etc.

I also recieved the A20 Demon kit, which has been commented on my others, and it's great.
right now I'm putting that off waiting for basswood for the fins ( nicer and a little weight won't hurt with the big fins and D12 power ).

I do have to interject a huge plug for PDR here - my A20 had a balsa noseblock that was about 3/4"-7/8" long and really unusable, also it has a 12" shock cord.
I emailed them re: the block, and casually mentioned the cord as a 'no biggie, but add length in future' .
well, I was sent , arriving about a week later by priority mail, a new block ( he says it was a cutting error, not sure if it was an 'end cut' that snuck in, or if others got messed up ), new 24" shock cord, and a bonus kit for my 'trouble' ( total surprise to me, for sure ) .
All I can say is - debate over original name choice or not - PDR is a class act that stands behind thier product, and can expect many more orders from me.

~ AL

ps: do have one question regarding the decal for the A20 , which I;d asked in another thread here, with no certain response - on the 'demon' heads wrap decal, should the heads be white ?
they appear silver in the catalog, but I assumed they were white.
Don's photo post shows them as just black / clear, so was wondering what the original had - anyone have a vintage kit or builtup can verify the decal background ?
I know Tango Papa has these available, not sure if they have white or not ( dropping him al ine ,too, to check it out ), just wondering before I go ahead and build the bird - it's another of those ' always wanted' kits, that I never built ( did have an unopened one that I sold with my collection, so never did open and build one )

barone
07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
ps: do have one question regarding the decal for the A20 , which I;d asked in another thread here, with no certain response - on the 'demon' heads wrap decal, should the heads be white ?
Don's photo post shows them as just black / clear, so was wondering what the original had - anyone have a vintage kit or builtup can verify the decal background ?
I know Tango Papa has these available, not sure if they have white or not ( dropping him al ine ,too, to check it out ), just wondering before I go ahead and build the bird - it's another of those ' always wanted' kits, that I never built ( did have an unopened one that I sold with my collection, so never did open and build one )

Al,

I looked in the '78 catalog I have and think the silver you're seeing may be a lighting thing. Looking to the left side of the face, where the lighting isn't washing it out, it looks as though the yellow of the body tube is showing through, suggesting that it may in fact be a clear decal. Now, if I can get some decals for the Renegade.... :D

Don
NAR 53455

snaquin
07-30-2006, 06:21 PM
~ AL

AL

Black & White. I used an original A20 demon head decal on an NCR Hypersonic 1100 that I built a few years back that I had named "The Ripper" and I attached a picture from 1999 of my son holding the rocket. If you look close you can see it's black & white even though the flash hit it, definitely not clear or the fluor orange on my main airframe would have shown through.

Green Dragon
07-30-2006, 09:01 PM
AL

Black & White. I used an original A20 demon head decal on an NCR Hypersonic 1100 that I built a few years back that I had named "The Ripper" and I attached a picture from 1999 of my son holding the rocket. If you look close you can see it's black & white even though the flash hit it, definitely not clear or the fluor orange on my main airframe would have shown through.

OK, that's what I thought, especially after looking at the scan on Jim Z's.

If the PDR decal is clear, looks to me ( again, from the scan ) , that it could be applied over a blank piece of white decal and maybe look ok .

Will bear some experimenting - I know I'm being 'picky', but this is one of the ones I always wanted, so have to do it right, lol .

Thanks for the input.

~ AL

Green Dragon
07-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Al,

Now, if I can get some decals for the Renegade.... :D

Don
NAR 53455

Don,

Phred ( Excelsior Rocketry ) has these available.

http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id1.html

Phred does great work, and good pricing, too .

Guess you have one more project to build :)

~ AL

barone
07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
...... If the PDR decal is clear, looks to me ( again, from the scan ) , that it could be applied over a blank piece of white decal and maybe look ok ......

Al,

It might be easier just to paint the area where the decal is going to go white.

Don,

Phred ( Excelsior Rocketry ) has these available.

http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id1.html

Phred does great work, and good pricing, too .

Guess you have one more project to build

~ AL

Thanks Al. Just ordered it and some others :D . Gonna keep Phred busy for a while. :eek:

Don
NAR 53455