PDA

View Full Version : Scratch building at its scratchiest

maricopasem
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Hello all. I'm new to this site after having spent years building rockets. And by years I mean on and off throughout that time. I'm excited to have found this forum.

I have two questions. The first is if there are many out there who are absolute scratch builders. What I mean by that is those who use everything but typical rocket materials for their creations. I build everything from scracth (i.e. motor sleeves and mounts) or use junk for the rest. I've attached a picture of a rocket I built using a BBQ sauce bottle for the body and a McDonald's toy for the nose cone.

My second question is about fiberglass. Any suggestions on where to get fiberglass sheets for strengthening tubes, fins, etc.?

Good to be here.

ghrocketman
08-04-2006, 02:29 PM
You can buy fibreglass cloth (as well as carbon fiber and kevlar cloth or mat) at virtually any well stocked hobby shop now.
Another good source for fibreglass cloth or mat is marine supply places like West Marine and Boater's World.
West Marine also sells IMHO the best brand of epoxy for the cloth/mat, West System....very expensive, but MUCH stronger than hobby-store type epoxies. Aero Poxy is also good.

I build virtually NOTHING from scratch as I have little time to build, let alone try to design from "junk".
I often buy parts for self-designs and clones from Semroc.
I also build clone kits from Semroc, PDR, Thrustline, and Rocketpad ,as well as build original vintage Estes and Centuri kits.

maricopasem
10-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I launched the BBQ sauce rocket again a few weeks ago. I'm not sure exactly what happened but it appears the combination of the ejection charge heat and its lawn dart landing effectively ended this rocket's career.