PDA

View Full Version : Trident?

Initiator001
11-21-2011, 01:26 AM
At the 2010 iHobby Show, Estes displayed a Trident 'bring-back' model.

Since then, not a peep about it.

John B. can you provide an update?

Thanks.

BEC
11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I was wondering about that, too - especially since Semroc later released their much-easier-to-build rendition of the Trident after that. I would've expected Semroc not to do so if Estes was going to.

dlazarus6660
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Here is one that launch this past W/E.
It belongs to TonyPV, CMASS member.

tonypv
11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Here is one that launch this past W/E.
It belongs to TonyPV, CMASS member.
Nice shot Danial.
It's the Semroc X-kit (the one that came out before the one that is out now) with Excelsior decals.

JumpJet
11-22-2011, 08:51 AM
The Estes Trident is on hold. Right after we announced the model we pretty much lost the ability to get balsa nose cones made in the thousands of cones needed for one production run and since this model uses nine balsa nose cones it would be impossible to do. Not sure how well received this kit would be if Estes tooled for all plastic cones so for now the state of this model is in limbo.

By the way if this kit ever does make it to market, the builder would have to cut the slots in the tubes just like the good old days since it would be a "builders kit".

John Boren

ghrocketman
11-22-2011, 08:58 AM
John-
Good Move !
I honestly don't think the market for this kit would want it without the traditional balsa cones.
That's what kept me from purchasing the Orbital Transport from Estes when they re-issued it with plastic cones...that one did not make any sense...cut your own fins from patterns but use plastic cones.
I picked up PDR and Semroc clones of the Orbital transport later due to the fact they use balsa cones and laser-cut fin sets.

BEC
11-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Well, then...... having built one the old way (cut the slots) and having the ejection charge blow the bottom section apart on the first flight (while also deploying the parachute) and having built one the new way - laser cut gas passages that are more precise, larger and aligned with a simple but effective little jig setup and which has flown a number of times very very nicely....well, I have to go with the newfangled Semroc version then. Sometimes the "good old days" weren't all that good after all....:)

Semroc's current rendition of the Trident still has the nine balsa cones, too. I'm very glad it's available and will have to get at least one more while it is.

Royatl
11-22-2011, 10:08 AM
The Estes Trident is on hold. Right after we announced the model we pretty much lost the ability to get balsa nose cones made in the thousands of cones needed for one production run and since this model uses nine balsa nose cones it would be impossible to do. Not sure how well received this kit would be if Estes tooled for all plastic cones so for now the state of this model is in limbo.

By the way if this kit ever does make it to market, the builder would have to cut the slots in the tubes just like the good old days since it would be a "builders kit".

John Boren

I certainly wouldn't mind if you retooled the plastic nose cones to the original shapes! Otherwise, the Trident wouldn't look right with the current PNC-50Y, 50K, or 5W, just as the Orbital Transport re-release a few years ago just looks wrong next to a Semroc OT.

ghrocketman
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I know Semroc turns their own balsa cones.
Wonder why Estes can't kit the Trident ?
Are they no longer setup to produce balsa parts in-house ?
I guess that would not be surprising as until the new classic releases, Estes had not produced balsa cones in like 20 years.

Initiator001
11-22-2011, 01:21 PM

John Boren

John,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

jharding58
11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

John Boren

As it should be. I cannot imagine the pain of moulding ports and laser cut slots in the tubes - a model such as that should retain that sense of accomplishment upon completion. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Besides, plasic cones on those tubes would blow out in a heartbeat.

Builder Snob

BEC
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
As it should be. I cannot imagine the pain of ... laser cut slots in the tubes - a model such as that should retain that sense of accomplishment upon completion. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it......

Builder Snob

My sense of accomplishment came from repeated flights with no damage from my laser-cutter-assisted Semroc Trident.

I still have the damaged first one, of which I was (and really still am) proud of. But it was more expedient to build another than it will be to try to repair the first one. Maybe after I burn through a bunch of my build queue I'll revisit....I can't bring myself to just scavenge the easily scavengeable parts from it and throw the rest away.

I did a better job on finish on the second one anyway...and it flies sooooooooo nicely. It's not as pretty as Tony's though.

jharding58
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Wait, wait, wait - Semroc laser cut the slots?

Hmmm...

Chas Russell
11-22-2011, 05:15 PM
"Wait, wait, wait - Semroc laser cut the slots?"

Not only does SEMROC laser cut the slots, they have a really nifty alignment fixture that makes assembly a pleasure.
The only concession is that the BT-5 side tubes come in two sections glued together with a coupler. This allows them to keep the bag length down. Some have complained about the extra seams, but it does add some strength to the tubes as far as bending moment.

I have one built, but haven't done the clean up to get it ready to prime. All those balsa nose cones...

Chas

BEC
11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Yes - laser cut the slots - and since they're so precise they can be bigger than the ones one would cut out by hand. This is a big deal with powerful ejection charges. The little fiber alignment tools hold everything while the glue dries, which also facilitates using the larger gas passages without leaks.

And I can say very very happily that it works extremely well.

Mark II
11-22-2011, 08:15 PM
jharding58, I can clearly see that your tongue has been lodged firmly in your cheek from all the way over here, even if others seem to have missed it. :p :chuckle:

BEC
11-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I missed it......it wasn't the first time and is unlikely to be the last.....:rolleyes:

bernomatic
09-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Rather than start a whole new thread, I decided to awaken this one to ask a question.

I just got my SemRoc Trident, and have a question.

Is it preferable to use the two 9" tubes joined together or to just use some BT5 I have cut to 18"? :confused: If it's a matter of strength that the couplers provide, couldn't I just slide the ones supplied inside and glue them about half way down the tube? I hope I am craftsman enough to cut my own slots, so that shouldn't be a concern.

gpoehlein
09-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Rather than start a whole new thread, I decided to awaken this one to ask a question.

I just got my SemRoc Trident, and have a question.

Is it preferable to use the two 9" tubes joined together or to just use some BT5 I have cut to 18"? :confused: If it's a matter of strength that the couplers provide, couldn't I just slide the ones supplied inside and glue them about half way down the tube? I hope I am craftsman enough to cut my own slots, so that shouldn't be a concern.

It won't matter either way - the original Trident came with three 18" BT-5 tubes that you had to slot at each end. It's just a matter of getting the slots lined up correctly, which is a bit easier with shorter tubes joined in the middle. I'd say that if you are going to use three 18" tubes, toss the couplers in your spare parts box along with the shorter BT-5 tubes. You won't need them with the longer tubes (and the three tubes together are surprisingly strong - I still have the Trident I built in 1974 and it is a bit banged up from my various moves, but the BT-5 tubes are still intact).

dlazarus6660
09-27-2013, 05:13 PM
So how badly am I going to get chastise if I clone a Trident using plastic N/C's.
I plan to epoxy them on.

jharding58
09-27-2013, 05:26 PM
I would use single sections of tube. Using a 24" piece of right angle aluminum stock makes aligning the slots relatively easy, and a single piece reduces alignment and gas venting issues. One other alignment tool I use is a section of 1"x 2" U channel when setting up the BT-5 tubes on the cores. Did the kit come with the card stock surrounds for the gas transfer slots? And as far as the epoxy, I doubt that would be an issue, do you?

sandman
09-27-2013, 06:15 PM
I would use single sections of tube. Using a 24" piece of right angle aluminum stock makes aligning the slots relatively easy, and a single piece reduces alignment and gas venting issues. One other alignment tool I use is a section of 1"x 2" U channel when setting up the BT-5 tubes on the cores. Did the kit come with the card stock surrounds for the gas transfer slots? And as far as the epoxy, I doubt that would be an issue, do you?

No, not on the Trident.

The Bident had them but not the Trident.

BTW, I found some of those cardstock surrounds in my stash.

Not sure where they came from. I think I got 'em in a box of rocket "stuff" from an old hobby shop.

bernomatic
09-27-2013, 06:20 PM
It came with the alignment jig, but I don't see the surrounds I think you're referring to.

sandman
09-27-2013, 06:58 PM
It came with the alignment jig, but I don't see the surrounds I think you're referring to.

I have an opened "Trident II" (and taped shut) and it shows them in the plans.

But not in the original Trident

I probably should scan it for Ye Olde.

Royatl
09-27-2013, 07:26 PM
So how badly am I going to get chastise if I clone a Trident using plastic N/C's.
I plan to epoxy them on.

I actually did that with my Bident (eh-heh, ah, otherwise known as Trident II). Since the Trident II was among the last Estes kits to get balsa nose cones from the old nose cone machine, I put the BNC-50Y and 50K into my parts box and replaced them with plastic versions. Didn't have plastic versions of the 50J (I substituted a SEMROC version) or the four -20 sized cones, so I left them.

bernomatic
09-28-2013, 03:02 PM
All right, crazy idea.

If I use the 9" tubes and couplers, could I temporarily join them w/o glue while gluing the front and rear ends and thus save the jig?