PDA

View Full Version : Arcas fun

MarkB.
12-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Guys,

I thought I'd post a picture of my newly completed Estes Arcas clone. Plans from JimZ, tube from the parts bin, balsa, including laser-cut fins and mounts, from Semroc. I added the cut outs on the fins myself and I used a couple of thin wraps of cardstock to simulate the flared base at the nozzle.

The finish was interesting: I filled the spiral with Fast N'Final spackling. Balsa got traditional AeroGloss fillercoat and sanding sealer. I primed the whole rocket with black Dupli-color primer. The entire rocket (other than nose cone) was sprayed with some leftover silver Duplicolor high temp engine paint. After a week of drying, the parachute section (front) was dipped in a glass of Future floor polish. I let that dry overnight and then masked it and painted the motor (rear) section with Rustoleum clear matte. I let that dry over the weekend and then masked and painted the brown stripe (and the nose cone) with Rustoleum Camo paint. I left the masking over the parachute section.

I added a Tango Papa decal that went down very well and then gave the motor section, decal and stripe another coat of clear matte. I removed the masking from the parachute section and, ta-da, two totally different looks from the same spray of silver.

Lurking behind the Estes is an new Semroc Arcas waiting for me to finish the fins. It does give a good size comparision between the two kits. I'm looking forward to finishing it (and a new Semroc Aerobee 150) over Christmas.

jspitza
12-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Beautiful work, Mark!!!

foamy
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Very nice. I like the old sounding rockets a lot. You did a convincing job on that Arcas. I snagged one of the Aerobee 150's as well and may dig in on that soon. Are you going to build it stock?

I debated getting the new Arcas, but I have a plan (if anything I conjure up can be considered a plan) and parts for an Arcon and just haven't gotten the gumption to start on it yet. The missus has been egging me to build it. After seeing your lovely Arcas model—I may have to get it going. Seeing a nice rendition like yours is inspiring, particularly as they are pretty much brothers.

jharding58
12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Really nice work on the fin can. Is it permissible to say "nice can"?

MarkB.
12-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I think I can live with being known for doing good work on a can.

Thank you for the kind words. The tricky, skill level 3 part of any Arcas is the crazy fin can with mounts and fins over a boat tail. By the way, the body tube is longer than a stock Estes body tube for an Arcas. The one that came in the kit is about 16 3/8" where as a "scale" BT-55 length would be 20.24" at least according to Alway's Rockets of the World, so that's what I cut it. The Semroc kit is the correct length out of the bag.

I have not started the Semroc Aerobee yet. I am going to build it stock but add a payload section under the nose cone with an extra section of Series 15 tubing and a balsa coupler to more accurately portray the Aerobee at the New Mexico Space Museum

Kimble29
12-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow, that looks awesome! Nice job for sure. I love seeing pics/descriptions of what people are building/built. Gives me something to shoot for!

luke strawwalker
12-08-2011, 11:38 PM
VERY nice work, and great techniques! Thanks for sharing!

KUTGW!!! OL JR :)