PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Creek 12/18/2011

chadrog
12-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Hi all-
The weather outside is looking not so frightfull for this Sunday's launch. After the rain-out at the sod farm, (for me, that is) I'm chompin' at the bit. If anyone else planning to attend has any needs or questions, this is the place- Jeff will be happy to help! Launch reports and pic's are always good too. Come one come all, let's get jingly!

dnl2
12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
This is the field directly to the west of the Johnson Creek mall that is on the north side of the interstate, correct? 10 am? I am planning on going.

chadrog
12-14-2011, 03:00 PM
This is the field directly to the west of the Johnson Creek mall that is on the north side of the interstate, correct? 10 am? I am planning on going.
That's the place.

MadHatter
12-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all-
The weather outside is looking not so frightfull for this Sunday's launch. After the rain-out at the sod farm, (for me, that is) I'm chompin' at the bit. If anyone else planning to attend has any needs or questions, this is the place- Jeff will be happy to help! Launch reports and pic's are always good too. Come one come all, let's get jingly!
I'm really looking forward to this Sunday, I'm really Jones'n to launch some rockets!

Rex R
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM
going through a wee bit of propellent withdrawal are we :). I am too.
rex

chadrog
12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Looks like we might have a bit of "tracking snow" too, he he.

chadrog
12-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I think It's going to work... After several flights without successful penguin deployment, I took some time today to build a piston.
For anyone curious, this rocket is actually a "Penguin Infiltration Vehicle"(PIV). It's all a part of the penguins diabolical plan to take over the world as we know it, starting with Christmas. Because what exactly do penguins have to do with Christmas otherwise? NOTHING!!!
On to the mods. The paratrooping attack penguin is now perched atop a cardboard piston. Piston was fabricated from a single sheet of single wall cardboard. After getting it to the proper size, the inside surface that will face the ejection charges was given a thick coat of five minute epoxy. While poking around the bottom portion of the air frame, I found some weakness in a few areas. I remedied this by lining the bottom half of the "tube" with aluminum tape, hopefully this will prevent a blowout from the higher pressure produced under the piston. This thing flies great on a trio of D12's, so it should fly that much better on a cluster of four. One more tube was added just for thrust. So tomorrow it shall fly on one D12-0, two D12-3's, and one D12-5. Call the -5 a backup.

PaulK
12-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Looking forward to all the Odd-Rocs. I'll be bringing "Santa's Sixpack".

Rex R
12-18-2011, 04:00 PM
well I launched my goblin upscale on an F40-4, the mega mosquito went up on an E18-7, and the super neon xl with an F24-4. all were retrieved none the worse for the experience(though the neon did drift a good bit further than I would have liked. we had two patriot rockets get misplaced.
rex

PaulK
12-19-2011, 08:06 AM
It was a good day at JC, with Chad, Dave, Jerome, Rex, Roy, and Paul. The stiff south wind kept things interesting, which took a few recoveries north of River drive, including two unlikely to be seen again. It was *not* a good day for Patriots. A few xmas themed birds took to the sky, including a smartly dressed Santa (Jerome), the Penguin Infiltration Vehicle (Chad), and Santa's Sixpack (Paul). There were probably nearly 50 flights on the day, from 1/2A through F. A surprising amount of AP was flown, given the wind, including D13, D24, E18, F39, F20, F27, F40, and F52. Expect some good video from Chad soon!

chadrog
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Here's some stuff from last weekend, sorry it took so long.

http://youtu.be/3Qu393ouT_U

Rex R
12-24-2011, 01:12 PM
it twas the week before Christmas...and everybody gets all busy :). nice video, thanks for sharing. have a happy and safe X-mas.
rex

chadrog
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Will-do Rex, you do the same.

dnl2
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice flights, thanks for the video. It was fun and I'm sure I'll be going again. Have a safe New Year.

X-wooshprez
12-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Nice idea putting the piston inside the rocket Chad.
I've been using pistons in HPR as much as I can. They work.
How did your flight go?
Hey, there's a penguin on my window sill...