PDA

View Full Version : How do you download JimZ plans with a mac?

slant-six
12-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi,

I have a few Semroc Xkits and just tried to download instructions from JimZ's site. I have a mac and tried to open them in photoshop since they are tif files, but it could not recognize the file type. Has anyone else printed these files from a mac? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

alan

CPMcGraw
12-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't use a Mac, but I do use Linux. The Mac uses a variation of the BSD Mach kernel, so they're very similar.

I just downloaded a TIF at random from JimZ and opened it using GIMP (free download, similar to Photoshop) without any problem. What other TIF viewers are there available for Mac?

Does JimZ have a PDF download available for the plans you wanted? You should be able to open a PDF on any platform.

slant-six
12-18-2011, 12:39 PM
No, unfortunately that one is not available as a PDF. I will try the gimp. Thanks for the tip.

conleyt
12-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi,

I have a few Semroc Xkits and just tried to download instructions from JimZ's site. I have a mac and tried to open them in photoshop since they are tif files, but it could not recognize the file type. Has anyone else printed these files from a mac? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

alan

On my Mac the tif files open with Preview.

Tom C.

BEC
12-18-2011, 07:49 PM
As they do on mine as well.....

Though I admit I've not tried to print to scale from Preview. If you're just printing instructions to go with a Semroc kit that is not a real concern.....

kurth
12-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Hello,

I found sometimes preview would display the tiff files inverted in color, white on a black page. I have had good luck with "xee" for image viewing on the mac

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee

I hope it helps.

-Kurt

Mark II
12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
In whatever image viewer you use, set the resolution for 300 dpi. All plans and templates from JimZ's site will print out at the correct scale with that setting. Back when I had my iMac (OSX 10.2.8, so yeah, it was awhile ago), I downloaded and used plans from JimZ's with no trouble at all

jharding58
12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I have the reciprocal problem in that opening a tif on a Windows machine will enable accurate rendering under Quicktime but prints a blank page. To get around that I went to Irfanview. Enables the page to be opened, and printed without issue. You are required to copy/paste the page URL into the viewer, but it operates pretty well perfectly.

mwtoelle
12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
The easiest way to get the .tif files from JimZ is to ctrl-click (on a Mac, right-click on a PC) on the image that you want to save, and choose "Save Link as" (Firefox) or "Download Linked File" (Safari). As stated earlier, Preview should open the file. To get a correct;y sized print out of the file, I use IrfanView to print it. Make sure the "Original size (from image DPI)" option is checked under print size in the print dialog box. HTH.

slant-six
12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks a lot. Since I posted my more computer literate wife showed me the ctrl/click method of "saving as" and I have been able to open the tiff in photoshop. Thanks a lot for all your help.

alan