PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a white Sunday at JC

chadrog
01-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Snow in the forecast, is that even possible?!? Anyone planning on bringing out the kids should bring their sleds as well, the west end of the field is great for sledding!

1778ppr
01-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Hello,
Johnson Creek / Woosh is the closest to me I think. I live an hour west of Madison about half way between Madison and Dubuque. I was thinking about going to Johnson Creek this weekend. I have never been to a club or group launch. Can anyone attend? Do you need to be a Woosh member?
Thanks, John

chadrog
01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Membership is certainly encouraged in the long run, the benefits are endless! But don't be discouraged, if you want to come and check it out feel free. You'll have so much fun you'll be throwin' dues at everyone before you go! But seriously, feel free to come on out. If you're not familiar with the workings of WOOSH check out the website: www.wooshrocketry.org If you have any other questions regarding the club or the events, don't hesitate to ask! Chad

PaulK
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
John,

As Chad said, anyone is welcome. These are BYO pad events, but there are always pads to share. I love launching in snow, but will probably miss this one. Last Sod Farm event sure didn't seem like winter! JC is a great place for winter launches, since you can park on a plowed road right next to the field.

chadrog
01-13-2012, 05:17 PM
I revamped my styro-saucer (again) and am going to fly it Sunday on a G53. I put a key chain cam in the bottom, slightly canted toward the exhaust stream. My concern now is the snow - anyone ever get one of these things a bit wet?

1778ppr
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Hello Again,
What time do you guys start and wrap things up at Johnson Creek? I'm going to try and be there this Sunday.
Thanks for the info. John

chadrog
01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
We usually start around ten, and go till our hands can't take it anymore. Around two o' clock, usually.

1778ppr
01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks!

chadrog
01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
No problem, see ya' Sunday. Do you know where the field is?

1778ppr
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, I looked at the WOOSH web site.
John

Rex R
01-14-2012, 01:42 PM
looks like I'm grounded. truck appears to have a brake issue(dragging). have fun guys.
rex

chadrog
01-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear that Rex, hope you get it straitened out. Working on cars in the winter sux. :(

Rex R
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM
so, how did the launch go?

chadrog
01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
so, how did the launch go?
Was a good day. A bit breezy, but not too bad. Most of the snow had blown off of the field, so that was an added bonus. Several new folks came out to fly - if not for them, it would have been down to just a couple. I'm uploading video now, should be ready in about 30 mins. Did you get your brakes fixed?

chadrog
01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
I had a tough time tracking things with all the additional brightness from the snow, so I missed many! Here's what I was able to salvage:
http://youtu.be/OmASQnoJMUI

Rex R
01-16-2012, 02:44 PM
interesting flight of that snitch. nice work on the video. GM has (in my book) made some poor design choices with their disk brakes...maybe the newer models hold up to Wisconsin weather better than the 2000 and older models, I don't know. seems like every 40k I have to get the rear calipers freed up (the slides corrode). think I'm looking at 2 rotors and a new caliper (and new pads) sigh.

chadrog
01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
interesting flight of that snitch. nice work on the video. GM has (in my book) made some poor design choices with their disk brakes...maybe the newer models hold up to Wisconsin weather better than the 2000 and older models, I don't know. seems like every 40k I have to get the rear calipers freed up (the slides corrode). think I'm looking at 2 rotors and a new caliper (and new pads) sigh.
Hope it doesn't take to much out of your engine fund... That crazy flying Snitch was flown on a D13. I can't imagine why it did what it did.

Russ
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for shooting video Chad. I never launched in the snow or even in the cold before. I really enjoyed myself. Not sure if it is Woosh protocol or if you do it on your own, but you made that kids day when you gave him that rocket.
I have never really used streamers before, so yesterday was my streamer day. I did see that Mylar streamers don't like the Wisconsin cold much as they got " brittle" and wanted to tear easily. I decided to push my limits and now know that the hellicat on a c6-5 with a 4 inch streamer 36 inches long doesn't really do anything as it dropped from the sky into the snowy ground.
All in all other than rushing to get home by 3:30 ( I thought the Packers were playing). I had a memorable first winter launch.

Thanks to all at Woosh for arranging a place where we can "play in the snow".

Russ Westergaard

By the way I joined NAR last night. Time to bring on a level 1 cert flight.

Rex R
01-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Quick update on the brakes: 2 rotors, 1 caliper, new pads for both rears, and get this, once a year I have to get the brakes greased :).
glad to hear that you had fun. I've had fair luck with crepe paper, I've read where one fellow attached both ends of his streamer to the shock cord(about 8" apart) to achieve a slower descent.
rex

Rex R
01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
and if things go well I'll have a couple of 'interesting' saucer flights at bong...just ordered a couple of D10-3s for saucer use(may have to get a few more to stash away for me unbuilt mars lander :)).
rex

chadrog
01-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for shooting video Chad. I never launched in the snow or even in the cold before. I really enjoyed myself. Not sure if it is Woosh protocol or if you do it on your own, but you made that kids day when you gave him that rocket.
I have never really used streamers before, so yesterday was my streamer day. I did see that Mylar streamers don't like the Wisconsin cold much as they got " brittle" and wanted to tear easily. I decided to push my limits and now know that the hellicat on a c6-5 with a 4 inch streamer 36 inches long doesn't really do anything as it dropped from the sky into the snowy ground.
All in all other than rushing to get home by 3:30 ( I thought the Packers were playing). I had a memorable first winter launch.

Thanks to all at Woosh for arranging a place where we can "play in the snow".

Russ Westergaard

By the way I joined NAR last night. Time to bring on a level 1 cert flight.
Glad you had a good time Russ, I did too (minus my igniter issues). Unfortunately my on-board camera did not come through in the saucer. For some reason it stopped recording after a minute and a half. That was before the first countdown. Maybe the cold? I don't know. Just going to have to try and try again I guess, darn...If you have any questions regarding your L1 build, don't hesitate to throw 'em on here or the mailing list, you'll get no shortage of helpful advice.

chadrog
01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
and if things go well I'll have a couple of 'interesting' saucer flights at bong...just ordered a couple of D10-3s for saucer use(may have to get a few more to stash away for me unbuilt mars lander :)).
rex
Are you coming to Bong on the 28th? I'm gettin' antsy something awful!

Rex R
01-16-2012, 06:29 PM
oh I sure hope so :), I haven't launched anything since december, plus I need to get some reloads too.

chadrog
01-17-2012, 07:20 AM
oh I sure hope so :), I haven't launched anything since december, plus I need to get some reloads too.
Cool, see ya' there.