PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Paint in Winter?

mojo1986
01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
I have seen frequent references in various threads to waiting for warmer weather to paint a rocket. But it seems to me that winter offers some compelling advantages............

The air is usually dry..........no worries about condensation.

It's cold out, so the effect of cold spray as a result of sudden expansion from the spray nozzle is less significant (again, relates to condensation of moisture in the air).

NO BUGS! So you don't get any unwanted visitors dropping in to mar a perfect finish.

Drying time will likely be increased (not necessarily a disadvantage, especially when there are no bugs around) due to the low temperature, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to bring the rocket indoors until the paint had thoroughly dried, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a shed where it would be safe for a few hours.

So, comments? Has anyone got experience painting rockets outdoors in cold weather? Pros and cons?

Joe

tbzep
01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Shouldn't a guy from Canada be giving information on anything dealing with cold weather instead of asking for it? :chuckle:

STRMan
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
I paint no matter what the season. The trick to painting in cold weather is to make sure you keep your paint cans inside where it is warm until ready to use. After spraying outside, I let is set up in the cold garage for an hour or so. After that I bring the rocket inside that warm house and let it finish drying there. I repeat this procedure and many time as I have to. Works great.

Doug Sams
01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
I have seen frequent references in various threads to waiting for warmer weather to paint a rocket. But it seems to me that winter offers some compelling advantages............

The air is usually dry..........no worries about condensation.

It's cold out, so the effect of cold spray as a result of sudden expansion from the spray nozzle is less significant (again, relates to condensation of moisture in the air).

NO BUGS! So you don't get any unwanted visitors dropping in to mar a perfect finish.

Drying time will likely be increased (not necessarily a disadvantage, especially when there are no bugs around) due to the low temperature, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to bring the rocket indoors until the paint had thoroughly dried, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a shed where it would be safe for a few hours.

So, comments? Has anyone got experience painting rockets outdoors in cold weather? Pros and cons?

JoeJoe,

I have sprayed in a cold garage on many occasions. My usual procedure is to warm the paint by placing the cans in a sauce pan of hot water. Sometimes, when the can is low, I need to place a weight on it to keep it from floating :)

I run my jet heater to warm the garage, then turn it off and shoot the first coat. (Needless to say, it's not wise to shoot paint with a jet flame in the room ;)) After the first coat has set for 10 minutes or so, I apply the second. By then, my leaky garage has already cooled considerably, but I've not suffered any ill effects from that (that I noticed). I do take the painted parts into the house to dry over night. They bring a little odor with them, but most of the vapors stay in the garage.

I do prefer painting when it's a bit warmer. However, sometimes, if you're gonna get it done, you must paint under less perfect conditions. And so far, I've had good results doing it this way.

Doug

jadebox
01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
The biggest problem I have with painting in the winter is that it's too dark when I get home from work. And, I'm down south. I can't imagine how bad it is for those who suffer even shorter periods of sunshine during the day! :-)

-- Roger

Solomoriah
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
It's just too much trouble, honestly. If the temperature outside isn't at least 60 degrees F, I'm not even going to try.

Plenty of other things to do when it's cold. Like build more of those kits I have piled up in the closet...

Scott6060842
01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Just did on Sunday, temp in the low 20's.

I just step out in the backyard, spray a quick coat, duck back inside until it tacks up, repeat.

Works fine for me.

chrism
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
One advantage in using an airbrush and acrylic paints is that you can paint indoors all year around. I live in an apartment and use an airbrush compressor that is very quiet. the airbrush give better control over the amount of overspray and using acrylics, there is not of those noxious fumes (although GH loves the fumes of noxious paints!)

gpoehlein
01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
One advantage in using an airbrush and acrylic paints is that you can paint indoors all year around. I live in an apartment and use an airbrush compressor that is very quiet. the airbrush give better control over the amount of overspray and using acrylics, there is not of those noxious fumes (although GH loves the fumes of noxious paints!)

Very true - and with acrylics, you can use a large cardboard box without an exhaust fan for a paint booth to control the overspray. Plus, I think acrylics give a better finish as well. Of course, YMMV.

Greg

ghrocketman
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
No Organic chemical vapors (noxious fumes)= NO PAINT in my shop, period.
Water-based finishing methods SUCK, period.

tbzep
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
For you cold rattle can painters....do you use enamels or lacquers?

I prime with lacquer primer year round, but seldom paint finish coats unless the weather is fairly warm with low humidity.

Scott6060842
01-24-2012, 06:42 AM
For you cold rattle can painters....do you use enamels or lacquers?

I prime with lacquer primer year round, but seldom paint finish coats unless the weather is fairly warm with low humidity.

Enamel ... Rustoleum Painters Touch 2x

foamy
01-24-2012, 08:28 AM
I do all the balsa in lacquer sanding sealer and prime with enamel. I'm fortunate in that I have an unfinished basement that stays within a degree or two of the house's temperature. I usually spray and then open the sill window to air out. If I'm doing a lot, I'll stick a fan in it.

Scott21
01-24-2012, 09:10 AM
<snip>. I usually spray and then open the sill window to air out. If I'm doing a lot, I'll stick a fan in it.

Me too, but since it was so cold during my last round of priming, I just flipped the furnace fan from Auto to ON. This subsequently made everyone in the house ill from paint fumes being recycled... :o

tmacklin
01-24-2012, 11:08 AM
There's a large, concrete block privacy screen that conceals a pair of dumpsters near where I work. This provides a wind free, private, outdoor environment even when the temperature is less than ideal. It already stinks like hell in there, so who cares?

mojo1986
01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Shouldn't a guy from Canada be giving information on anything dealing with cold weather instead of asking for it? :chuckle:

Yuk, Yuk :chuckle:

You're right, Tim, but I've always listened to the guys on this board. Still, I have a vintage Estes ARCAS that I just finished building, and I'm dying to paint it now if possible..............hence the thread.

Joe

ghrocketman
01-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Ill, schmill !
Recycled paint fumes just toughen ya' up; especially if using Aero Gloss/Brodak/Sig Dope for finish.
Tell the family to SUCK IT UP, and DEEL WITH IT or next time you will use EXTRA THINNER !
Those that don't like it can GRAB A GAS MASK !

Doug Sams
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Those that don't like [the smell] can GRAB A GAS MASK !Speaking of that... I always wear a respirator when I'm shooting paint. I might put a quick squirt of primer down without it, but if I have anything that takes longer to shoot than I can hold my breath, it's on with the respirator.

A little whiff of this or that won't hurt anyone, but if you're gonna be in the garage shooting paint for 10-15 minutes at a time - about how long it takes to me to get a coat down on 5-10 pieces - then get a respirator. (I usually paint in clusters of several airframes, nosecones, boosters, etc, so there's always several pieces which means I end up being exposed in the thick fumes for several minutes at a time.)

Also, I try to cover up to minimize the amount of overspray that gets on my skin.

I'm only shooting rattlecan paint, so it's not so toxic to the skin, but I still don't like to have too much on me, so long sleeve shirts, latex gloves, long pants and a hat all accompany my respirator.

Also, anybody laying down 2-part paints should be in full hazmat gear. That stuff's really nasty, and just getting on your skin can be quite hazardous as I understand it.

Y'all know GH is usually kidding around when he talks about enjoying breathing this stuff, but being serious for a moment, I wanted to remind everyone that you should be taking some precautions when you're painting.

(I usually wear a dust mask when I'm sanding, too. And always wear the respirator when I'm sanding fiberglass.)

Doug...trying to make my lungs last as long as I need them ;)

jeffyjeep
01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Heck, I paint ALL winter. I just make sure the rocket I'm painting and the rattle can are both warm, that it's not snowing or raining, and that it's not too windy. I then bring the rocket into the perpetually warm laundry room to dry.

.....and as someone stated already--no bugs!

Mark II
01-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Spray paint doesn't adhere well in temps below ~60°F and it comes out thin and runny as all hell, too. It is so not worth the hassle to try to apply spray paint in -10°F weather. I have gone down that road enough times to know that it ain't gonna work out. I am more than happy to wait until the weather warms up so that I only have to paint the rocket once. I have no shed or garage, so all of my painting is done outdoors under the big blue sky.

Mark II
01-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Enamel ... Rustoleum Painters Touch 2xSame here. Or Krylon. Or Valspar. Occasionally lacquer. I have had to deal with bugs landing in the wet paint -- twice. Ever. I told people that they were surface details.

Solomoriah
01-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I use Rustoleum Filler Primer for my main priming work; sometimes I'll apply Rustoleum 2x primer as a final primer coat. I tend to use Rustoleum 2x paint for most of my work these days, though I've discovered that my huge hoard of cheap rattle-can paint tends to work fine over it. Not always true the other way around.

LW Bercini
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Speaking of that... I always wear a respirator when I'm shooting paint.

Doug,
I'm clueless about respirators. I shoot rattlecans, occasionally deal with Aerogloss and plastic cements (e.g. Tenax), and Bondo, but don't do anything with fiberglass.

What kind of respirator should I be looking for? Where would I find it?

Please advise, but remember, I know nothing. :confused:

william

Doug Sams
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
What kind of respirator should I be looking for? Where would I find it?Hi, William,

Your home center, hardware store or paint shop will have them. 3M is a popular brand. About 30 bucks for a new one, and ~16 for refills, which I get every 2-3 years (I don't paint that often). I got mine at Home Depot.

Medium sized (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100653900/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Large (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100195886/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

HTH.

Doug

[PS: About once a year, they're good for scaring the crap out of your kids :D:D:D]

ScaleNut
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
No Organic chemical vapors (noxious fumes)= NO PAINT in my shop, period.
Water-based finishing methods SUCK, period.

I'm surprised you even own a computer.. .. do you rub sticks together to create warmth for your loved ones as well ?

btw .. can I use your comment for my new signature ?...please?

...it's epic !

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-04-2012, 10:45 PM
[PS: About once a year, they're good for scaring the crap out of your kids :D:D:D]

Nah, I have an underpants dance that works well in that capacity. :eek:

LW Bercini
02-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Nah, I have an underpants dance that works well in that capacity. :eek:

Wait...could I have seen you on one of those "People of Walmart" photos? :rolleyes: