PDA

View Full Version : Aero-LawnDart

stefanj
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
My scratch-built Aero-Dart clone shortened itself last Saturday after the shock cord broke.

I was originally quite pessimistic about its fate, but on close inspection the damage wasn't as bad as I'd originally suspected. Only about 8" of the body tube was crumpled. I cut it off to create . . .

. . . The Aero-LawnDart!

I still need to reinforce the fin joints, which may mean repainting the red section, but after some compounding it looks pretty good.

ghrocketman
08-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Why didn't you just replace the crumpled section with a coupler & new section of proper length body tube ?
It would have probably not been noticable.
I had to do that with one of my '72 Enerjet Aero Dart clones.....on the first flight (D12-3) the 24" nylon Thrustline parachute (I hate losing $10.00 chutes) somehow separated from the snap-swivel.
Nose-Blow recovery on a large 8+oz payload rocket is not good even with 9' of 3/8" Kevlar shock-cord "streamer".....the rocket swirled around to the ground from about 500' and slammed into my backyard deck with fairly high velocity where 12+ spectators were standing. Not exactly the show finale I had planned. Damage was fairly minimal. 4" crumpled section of main body tube, and a ruined nose cone.....no damage (not even a loose fin) to the fin section though.

SEL
08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
My scratch-built Aero-Dart clone shortened itself last Saturday after the shock cord broke.

I was originally quite pessimistic about its fate, but on close inspection the damage wasn't as bad as I'd originally suspected. Only about 8" of the body tube was crumpled. I cut it off to create . . .

. . . The Aero-LawnDart!

I still need to reinforce the fin joints, which may mean repainting the red section, but after some compounding it looks pretty good.

Doesn't look "half" bad. ;) :D

Sorry, Stefan. I'll go now.

Sean

stefanj
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
I considered splicing in some replacement tube and making it a whole Aero-Dart again.

But I have a bad habit: When I order replacement parts, other items appear on the order. In this case, I'd be ordering from BMS, and if I were lucky I'd end up ordering "only" $50 worth of parts.

I have many boxes of parts, and well over a dozen half-completed projects.

Also, I have an ORIGINAL Aero-Dart in my project pile.

And as Sean notes, the Aero-LawnDart doesn't look half bad.

ghrocketman
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Ah, now I see why you did not extend it to original length ! :D
I never order just what I "need" from Semroc either....the order ALWAYS ends up with $20-$30 worth more of parts/kits than I intended ! :p :p

snaquin
08-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Ah, now I see why you did not extend it to original length ! :D
I never order just what I "need" from Semroc either....the order ALWAYS ends up with $20-$30 worth more of parts/kits than I intended ! :p :p

I usually find myself ordering a kit with every parts order ..... I just can't help it! I burned up that Semroc gift certificate on SLS kits and parts.

Ltvscout
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
. . . The Aero-LawnDart!
Hmmm. I see a new kit from Semroc coming! :D Be sure to send Carl the dimensions for the new "kit".