PDA

View Full Version : I'm out of commision for a while

X-wooshprez
02-12-2012, 05:17 PM
For those of you who haven't heard yet I broke my right ankle on January 25th.
I was coming out of a house I was working on and some carpenters had left an extension cord on the stairs. I stepped on the end of it and away I went. It was only a couple treads to the ground but I hit at a bad angle and the ankle snapped. I had surgery the day after to put a plate on my broken fibula and a screw through both the fibula and Tibia to hold the whole mess in place. It'll be four more weeks until I can bear any weight on it. Another six weeks after that and they take the screw out. I don't know how long it'll be before I can do the Bong hop over the ruts and trenches to retrieve a rocket.
It stinks not being able to walk.
I do feel a lot better now, the pain is lessened considerably but I'm bored as can be.
If anybody wants to swing by and keep a gimp company give me a ring sometime.

This is my ankle one week after surgery. Ugly huh...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/sgrockets/2012-02-02_16-59-40_653.jpg

chadrog
02-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Man that sucks! I ordered fifty SS alligator clips the other day and I have the Sta-Brite solder - that might keep ya' busy for a while... If you need anything give a shout - I'm just up the road a piece. Get well soon buddy, Chad.

raohara
02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Hmm, must be something going around. I tore my biceps tendon on my dominant arm (of course) on January 17. I still have more than two weeks to go in a full arm cast.

I wonder what is worse; losing use of an arm or a leg?

- Rich

chadrog
02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Hope it's not getting to be an epidemic, another WOOSH member recently tore up a knee. Not sure how bad, but me thinks I better not go to work tonight...

X-wooshprez
02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey Rich,
I'd vote for the leg.
It's hard to get around on crutches and wheelchairs.
I'm constantly amazed at how difficult it must be for the permanently disabled.
Even supposedly handicap accessible restrooms are not set up properly.
My wife took me to a theater to watch a movie last weekend.
Some dingbat almost took my leg off going to get a refill.
Never excused herself, just tried to barge past my leg. :mad:

jeff2space
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Get well soon Scott. When you decide you're ready to come out to Bong, just ask if you need someone to chase down a rocket for you (just don't send it over the trees or in the swamp). :)
Jeff Jacobson

CenturiKid
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Scott,

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I've been through two surgeries on my left foot, two tendons re-assigned, about 7 screws, and a lengthened Achilles tendon and we still can get around (fairly) well.

It takes time, but things get better fast. At least its the winter so you are not staring out the window wishing you could be outside (don't ask me how I know that :))

Get well soon!

PS. Is that X on your ankle the one they make you make so that they know its the right one to work on? I know the first time I was asked to do that, I suddenly got very nervous about the doctors working on me :)

PaulK
02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
A good time to catch up on those builds, perhaps? Hope you're able to move around by the summer flying season. There will be plenty of us to recover your flights, no worries.

Pem Tech
02-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Whazooo, that is nasty...
I second Paul's advice, time to start building.

chadrog
02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Did you get your Gizmo XL yet Scotty? That should keep ya' busy.

X-wooshprez
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I wish I could get into the basement and do stuff.
Unfortunately my workshop is a mess because all the Christmas decorations
got stuffed into totes and just pitched down there.
I'm the guy who is supposed to clean all that up.

Chad, I did get the Gizmo but it needs a lot of work.
I had spent some time sanding down the nosecone shoulder
to try to get it to fit into the body tube, it only just goes in now and I still have work to do on it.
It not only doesn't fit but it's oval instead of round.

I was Xrayed last week. Lots of stainless hardware in my leg.
The big screw thats holding my tibia and fibula together gets removed in another
8 weeks. That ought to be a fun day.
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp56/sgrockets/2012-02-15_15-14-22_91.jpg

Earl
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
That's tough......

Hang in there though; one day before you realize it this will all be in the rearview mirror and life WILL be better.

Earl

Gus
02-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Scott,

My condolences. I broke my left ankle 3 winters ago and had surgery, too, so I know what you're going through. My usual rocket building room was in the basement so I scooted downstairs on my butt and brought up enough stuff to make a little portable build box for the kitchen table. I then hauled out all the old kits that took lots of building. My favorites were Semroc's Saturn 1b and Mars Lander. I also really liked the Estes Blackhawk and Scott Branche's Odyssey. Really helped to keep my mind off my ankle.

Good luck. Heal fast,

Steve

X-wooshprez
02-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I think that's a pretty good plan Steve.
I might have to do that.
I've been meaning to build a replacement scissor wing transport
ever since I crashed mine a couple years ago.
TV is getting really old.

M.Vrstal
02-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your mis-hap. Hope your keeping busy and not waisting away. I hope to be back up at Bong sometime this summer. Take care....Marty

X-wooshprez
03-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Finally made it to the six week mark today.
The DR, gave me the green light to go full weight bearing in my boot and start stretching it out and all that. I'm so happy to be able to start to try to walk again.
Best of all I don't have to sleep with the boot on anymore. Comfortable sleep will be huge!
Watch out kids, I'll be back to it in a couple more months.

chadrog
03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Cool, you should come on out to the sod farm Saturday!

PaulK
03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Good news. Can you drive yet?

X-wooshprez
03-08-2012, 09:39 PM
You guys are dreaming.
I have a long long way to go before I can actually walk again.
Driving, I don't know, I kind of wish it would have been my left leg but
then I'd just be getting myself into trouble.
I'm working it, no pain no gain, right.