PDA

View Full Version : More new Estes Kits

Ltvscout
08-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Here are four more Estes kits that are in the works. I don't have any specs on these yet, but will let you all know as soon as I do.

EST1412 X15 Starter Set
EST2027 Pop Fly
EST2029 Convertor
EST2135 Pigasus

Yes, that last one has the correct spelling. :D

stefanj
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Here are four more Estes kits that are in the works. I don't have any specs on these yet, but will let you all know as soon as I do.

EST1412 X15 Starter Set
EST2027 Pop Fly
EST2029 Convertor
EST2135 Pigasus

Yes, that last one has the correct spelling. :D

No, it's actually a misspelling. The correct kit name is "Pugaus," named after the designer's favorite breed of dog.

The Convertor cashes in on the Transformers craze. It converts from a model rocket to a high-tech villain-fighting dump truck.

Ltvscout
08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
No, it's actually a misspelling. The correct kit name is "Pugaus," named after the designer's favorite breed of dog.

The Convertor cashes in on the Transformers craze. It converts from a model rocket to a high-tech villain-fighting dump truck.
Hehe. :D

I sure wish they'd do more re-releases of classic kits though. :(

CPMcGraw
08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Hehe. :D

I sure wish they'd do more re-releases of classic kits though. :(

That's Carl's job, Scott...

Real balsa, real kits...

ghrocketman
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Gotta agree here with CPMcGraw that is Carl's job....real balsa & REAL kits, with BETTER quality than the originals !
I excited & all set to buy the Estes re-release of the Orbital Transport until I examined the kit....one look at the PLASTIC (un-original) nose cones & I put it back on the hanger at the local hobby shop. I ordered the PDR clone instead, which is even better than the original as the fins are laser cut. While I enjoy filling & sanding balsa fins, I do not enjoy the effort required to trace & cut all those required for an Orbital Transport.
I did purchase the Estes re-issue of the Scissor-Wing Transport even though it has plastic parts instead of the original wood ones....this is due to the fact that nobody else is producing this kit & originals usually go for far too much $$$.
This is one of only 4 kits I have purchased from Estes in the last 10 years...the other three are the re-issue Big-Daddy, the Oracle, and the Screamin Mimi (at 50% off for an Astron Renegade Kit-bash) . If they ever issue the 1/70 scale Saturn 1B kit 2229, I'll buy one of those if I can examine it before purchase, but only if it is close in price to the upcoming 1/70 Semroc S1B.

Green Dragon
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
That's Carl's job, Scott...

Real balsa, real kits...

AMEN BROTHER !

sandman
08-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I do not see Estes ever again coming out with a kit that uses a balsa nose cone!

Gus
08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
The Convertor cashes in on the Transformers craze.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Uh, Transformers craze was about 10 years ago.

stefanj
08-24-2006, 07:09 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Uh, Transformers craze was about 10 years ago.

Well, there's a movie coming out.

In any case, the model doesn't look like a robot or a dump truck. It must Convert in some other way.

Ltvscout
08-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, there's a movie coming out.

In any case, the model doesn't look like a robot or a dump truck. It must Convert in some other way.
It appears to be a takeoff of their old Screw Machine.

http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Estes-1433-Deluxe-Super-Shot-Starter-Set.html

This was available in 2002-2003.

Royatl
08-25-2006, 12:57 AM
It appears to be a takeoff of their old Screw Machine.

http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Estes-1433-Deluxe-Super-Shot-Starter-Set.html

This was available in 2002-2003.

Odd, I've NEVER seen that rocket/starter set.

Ltvscout
08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Odd, I've NEVER seen that rocket/starter set.

It's in their 2002 and 2003 catalog:

http://www.estesrockets.com/images/2002_Estes.pdf

http://www.estesrockets.com/images/2003_Estes1.pdf

That is the only place I've seen it though. Never saw it at a hobby shop/retail store.

Shreadvector
08-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Definitely sold in Wal-Mart. They shipped starter sets in cases with an asortment of all 3 "Super Shot" starter sets.

It's in their 2002 and 2003 catalog:

http://www.estesrockets.com/images/2002_Estes.pdf

http://www.estesrockets.com/images/2003_Estes1.pdf

That is the only place I've seen it though. Never saw it at a hobby shop/retail store.

Ltvscout
08-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Definitely sold in Wal-Mart. They shipped starter sets in cases with an asortment of all 3 "Super Shot" starter sets.
I'm just saying "I" never saw it sold anywhere. I don't frequent Wal-Marts. ;)

Royatl
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Guess I just saw "Super Shot" and assumed it was the regular one. I was only there for the cheap motors!

Bob Thomas
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I can't get excited about Estes' releases, except for the occasional re-release, which I'll now modify to original form (I, too, learned my lessons from the redstone and scissor wing releases, so disappointing). The Redstone looks beautiful, but the satisfaction dwindles just knowing that the toughest part of the build was lining up the decals, sheesh!!!!

I am thrilled that Carl does such a fantastic job with Enerjet/Centuri classics at SEMROC, where you can feel the love of the hobby in every kit. Also, PDR is doing a great job with Estes classics (from the love years) along with Thrustline. Honerable mentions to just about any vendor that is turning out great "new classic" designs at low profit margins, like Sirius, Red River, Squirrel, and JFlis.

I certainly wouldn't have gotten the bug again from the RTF kits.

Shreadvector
09-15-2006, 11:14 AM
pictures of many of the new models are in the latest Estes online newsletter.

Ltvscout
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Cool. Thanks, Fred.

Ltvscout
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Might you have a link to it? I can't seem to find it on their site.

SEL
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Might you have a link to it? I can't seem to find it on their site.

Scott

I just forwarded the Estes MRN to you at the Rocketshopp address.

Sean

stefanj
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I'd love a copy too! I'm supposed to be on the mailing list, but they're holding back.

Ltvscout
09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Scott

I just forwarded the Estes MRN to you at the Rocketshopp address.

Sean
Thanks. My guess is my spam filter caught it and I didn't notice it as I skimmed through them before deletion. I've gotten the online MRN's in the past.

SEL
09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd love a copy too! I'm supposed to be on the mailing list, but they're holding back.

Done.