PDA

View Full Version : Estes Cyclone upscale

maricopasem
08-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Here's one I have been working on. It is a 1.6x upscale of the Estes Cyclone. My brother and I had one a hundred years ago that was one of the favorites for some reason. The upscale will be just over 25 inches tall and has a 4x18mm cluster. Some pics are attached and I'll throw some more in as it progresses.

Ltvscout
08-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Here's one I have been working on. It is a 1.6x upscale of the Estes Cyclone. My brother and I had one a hundred years ago that was one of the favorites for some reason. The upscale will be just over 25 inches tall and has a 4x18mm cluster. Some pics are attached and I'll throw some more in as it progresses.
How are you doing the cone? Does BMS, Semroc or Roachwerks have an upscale of it? The original was leftover Centuri stock.

maricopasem
08-22-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm still working on a cone for it. I think in the short term I am going to use half of a large plastic Easter egg. It will serve until I get a real one. And it looks amazingly like the original.

Ltvscout
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm still working on a cone for it. I think in the short term I am going to use half of a large plastic Easter egg. It will serve until I get a real one. And it looks amazingly like the original.
Ya, that will approximate it. The original cone had a funky shape to it.

Carl@Semroc
08-22-2006, 06:40 PM
It looks like the original cone is the Centuri PNC-132. We have a balsa equivalent, our BC-1327. Is your tube a BT-70?

maricopasem
08-22-2006, 10:33 PM
It's actually just a thick mailing tube. I'm a scratch builder to the core, but am really wanting to do some upscaled clones of old models and am going ot need to buy a thing or two it appears.

The od on the Cyclone tube is 3.125"(ish) and the id is 3"(ish). Would your cone fit, even if it needs a little "modification?"

And thanks for your help.

Green Dragon
08-24-2006, 08:45 PM
It's actually just a thick mailing tube. I'm a scratch builder to the core, but am really wanting to do some upscaled clones of old models and am going ot need to buy a thing or two it appears.

The od on the Cyclone tube is 3.125"(ish) and the id is 3"(ish). Would your cone fit, even if it needs a little "modification?"

And thanks for your help.

3.0" ID is a fairly standard HPR size.

and PML is about .062 wall, pretty close to 3.125 ( maybe 3.1 ?)

you might find an elictical cone for 3" from Performance rocketry ( sold at www.performancehobbies.com ), here for info ( www.performancerocketry.com )

I know they have the rounded 'Mosquito type' cones, not sure about longer 'eliptical' .

~ AL

maricopasem
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
I finally was able to paint this one. Out here in the desert we're fortunate to not have to worry about humidity -- it's just a question of time.

I was going to paint it like the original (yellow BT, red fins and cone) but changed my mind. It changed partly because my yellow can died on me when still about a third full.

We'll see how this one does with 4 C6-5's in about two weeks. I'll see if I can post a picture or two of that.