PDA

View Full Version : Sun on the beach!

SEL
08-22-2006, 10:15 PM
The good news is that I spent the last 4 days out at Neskowin on the Oregon coast. The bad news is thatI threw my back out putting in the bleeding-bloody floor in my office. The other good news is that I was still able to launch a few rockets on the beach on Sunday. Weather was perfect: overcast with a slight breeze coming in off the water. My grandaughter and the kids of some freinds of ours had a blast taking turns pushing the button and chasing after the rockets.
First up was a Centuri 'Lil Ivan that I bought as a built up on, you guessed it, ebay., flown on a A8-3. I was a little sceptical of the shock cord attached to the engine mount, and was not dissapointed. It separated at ejection, but both pices were recovered in good shape. Next up was Ella's Pencil Rocket on a A8-5. The delay was a bit too long but recovery was nominal.
Next was a Fat Boy on a C6-3. This is a perfect motor for the Fat Boy - decent altitude, ejection was at apogee and it landed about 25 feet away. I flew my Enerjet 1340/20 replica next on a C11-3. NMice slow liftoff and parachute ejected at apogee. Last up was my upscaled Sprint on an E9-6. I was a little wary of using that motor, but I wanted to impress everyone with some altitude, and figured what the hell. I tried to angle the launch rod out over the water figuring the breeze would bring it back to the beach, but the Sprint took a landward course. While the altitude did impress the crowd, the chute came out and immediatly headed inland. After we cleaned up and dropped the equiptment back at the house, I took a stroll around the neighborhood and found it hanging from a power line.
Good news again: The next day there was a phone co. crew down the street, and tried to convince them that they should swing around the corner when they were threw and pull it down for me, which they did. Unfortunately the battery on my camer a died, and I didn't get any launch pics. Scott and Steph had their camera, tho, and I'll post those pics when I get them next week. The first thing Ella made me do when we got to the house was set up all the rockets in my room. Below is a photo of the lineup.

Sean

Ltvscout
08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Last up was my upscaled Sprint on an E9-6. I was a little wary of using that motor, but I wanted to impress everyone with some altitude, and figured what the hell. I tried to angle the launch rod out over the water figuring the breeze would bring it back to the beach, but the Sprint took a landward course.
Was that a Roachwerks BT-56 upscale Sprint?

SEL
08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Was that a Roachwerks BT-56 upscale Sprint?

No, sir. I built that back in '97 using ST20 size tubing that I bought from a guy named Jerry Flynn. The nose cone was turned by BMS, and the motor mount was BT50 with rings made from a peeled down Saran Wrap tube. Decals by Tango Papa. I added two bullet weights to the nose just to be safe. Fly's great on anything from C11's up through the Aerotech 24mm F reloads. These are two of my favorite photo's, flown at a CMASS launch. Motor was a Aerotech E15-7.

Sean

Sean

Ltvscout
08-23-2006, 07:13 AM
No, sir. I built that back in '97 using ST20 size tubing that I bought from a guy named Jerry Flynn. The nose cone was turned by BMS, and the motor mount was BT50 with rings made from a peeled down Saran Wrap tube. Decals by Tango Papa. I added two bullet weights to the nose just to be safe. Fly's great on anything from C11's up through the Aerotech 24mm F reloads. These are two of my favorite photo's, flown at a CMASS launch. Motor was a Aerotech E15-7.
Heh. I bought a bunch of ST-20 from Jerry Flynn in '98. I wonder if he's still around?

SEL
08-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Heh. I bought a bunch of ST-20 from Jerry Flynn in '98. I wonder if he's still around?

I'm wondering the same thing. I had also bought some BT70's and BT101's (40"!!).
They're really nice tubes - tight seams and very smooth. I think he also made decals, too,
though I never purchased any.

Sean

Ltvscout
08-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. I had also bought some BT70's and BT101's (40"!!).
They're really nice tubes - tight seams and very smooth. I think he also made decals, too,
though I never purchased any.
Sounds like we made the same kind of order. ;) I too bought his BT-70's and BT-101's at the same time. He also had/has the correct size tube to build a 1/24th scale Gemini-Titan using the plastic capsule model that used to be available. I bought the capsule but never bought the tube. I believe it was Bob Wiersbe who turned me on to Jerry having that tube.

His "website" is still up at:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/flynnrace/myhomepage/

snaquin
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Sean

Sean

Perfect shot of your upscale Sprint taking off ..... :cool: