PDA

View Full Version : BT-80 Boattail Project

stefanj
08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I bought the parts for this maybe two years back. My plan at the time was to build them (I'm making two) to celebrate my employer having its IPO. You know, public launch of the stock . . . seemed like a good idea at the time.

It turned out the company got bought out instead, and it hasn't been much fun at all.

So, they're big sport flyers. Probably good for low, slow demo flights.

BT-80HD, big BMS balsa cone, paper boattail (two-ply, impregnated with epoxy), 1/4" balsa fins with basswood leading edge and basswood reinforcing strips here and there, and fiberglassed.

I need a name for the models, and ideas for a paint job. I was thinking cream and red, like a 1950s sedan, but have no idea what pattern to use.

P.S. Those fins aren't actually glued on. I was testing the fit of the through-the-wall tabs.

ghrocketman
08-23-2006, 12:00 AM
For colors I vote for "50's" two tone Cream and AQUA instead of Cream and Red.

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-23-2006, 02:03 AM

Yuck. Hate to see your house.

ghrocketman
08-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Those colors are the total opposite of my house....inside it would be described as contemporary/modern (at least by my wife). I'm not really at all interested in the 50's, just like the cream/aqua combo.
If I had my choice it would be a combination of the following themes:
1) Typical 80's Pinball/Video Arcade (I collect vintage full-size pinballs/Video games)
2) Personal Hobby Shop
3) Firearm/Safari collection
4) All things "FAST" ( I own a hydroplane-type 17' boat, two fast jet skis, and a Z28 with a built 383)

Green Dragon
08-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Yuck. Hate to see your house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that sounds 50's to me - we had a couple of '57 Chevrolets that were aqua ( actually Tropical Turquoise is the official color , and cream ) .

~ AL

stefanj
08-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I AM building two of these. One could be red and cream, the other turquoise and cream. With plentiful chrome, of course.

I'm at a loss for the pattern, though.

Green Dragon
08-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Well, I AM building two of these. One could be red and cream, the other turquoise and cream. With plentiful chrome, of course.

I'm at a loss for the pattern, though.

think old Schwinn bikes, or 50's cars.... maybe scallops ? ( ala Gee Bee airplanes ? )

Rocketry-wise, what pops into my mind is the Centuri Black Widow catalog scheme . might check that at Ninfinger and start there ?

~ AL