PDA

View Full Version : Why you should NEVER let a 7 year old girl name a rocket

khill444444
02-29-2012, 04:18 PM
You guys might get a kick out of this. Last week I bought a 1/12th plastic scale model of a Mercury spacecraft made by Atomic City. The thing has a tremendous amount of detail, including a little astronaut, which my 7 year old daughter immediately confiscated for play purposes! Anyway, it also comes with decals for all 6 Mercury missions. So I asked my daughter which of the Mercury flights we should use, and did show by showing her the pictures and names of the Mercury 7. OF COURSE she picked Deke Slayton, the only guy form the Original Seven never to fly in Mercury..........

So what the heck am I supposed to name this thing? Deke 7? Hypothetical 7? Mercury-Soyuz Test Project?

Kevin.

BPRescue
02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
You are way ahead. My 7 year old wants names like Firefly and Butterfly. So what if Deke never flew; at least he was attached in some way...

But, I suspect we have launched butterfly's in space. I know we have grown beans...

Joe Wooten
02-29-2012, 05:53 PM
How about Arrhythmia 7? :p

Earl
02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Slayton, who HAD been picked to fly the next mission after Glenn but was then grounded and replaced by Carptenter, supposedly selected Delta 7 for the name of his spacecraft.

Earl

luke strawwalker
02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Slayton, who HAD been picked to fly the next mission after Glenn but was then grounded and replaced by Carptenter, supposedly selected Delta 7 for the name of his spacecraft.

Earl

Yep, yer not mistaken...

Carpenter named his "Aurora 7"...

Deke finally flew on Apollo/Soyuz Test Project in 75... the last Apollo...

Later! OL JR :)

Ironnerd
03-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Indomitable 7

mycrofte
03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I was thinking more along...