PDA

View Full Version : Starship Vega is online

Carl@Semroc
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
The Starship Vega (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-78) is online. It is the first of the Starships, finally.

jharding58
03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
And down by two.

PaulK
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Excellent, I think a Bandit/Vega order is coming up!

I noticed the instructions say it was introduced in 1979, as 1320. The Starship Vega was originally introduced in 1973 as KC-4, and re-released in 1979, as 1320.

Scott6060842
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Ok you got me. I gotta have 'em both (Bandit/Vega)...please try to send them on a day the wife is not home :chuckle:

PaulK
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok you got me. I gotta have 'em both (Bandit/Vega)...please try to send them on a day the wife is not home :chuckle:What a great idea for a new shipping option!

chanstevens
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
The Starship Vega (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-78) is online. It is the first of the Starships, finally.

The Q-modeling upscale has spoiled me--I'm going to have to scrounge up some springs and make that landing gear functional :D .

jharding58
03-01-2012, 09:46 PM
The Q-modeling upscale has spoiled me--I'm going to have to scrounge up some springs and make that landing gear functional :D .

Hmmm. You know how Carl offers the Number 8 booster as an add-on to one of my favorite kits? I see a similar possibility here. Three compression springs, extended length dowels, three BT-5 couplers, six rings to cap the couplers and three small travel stops. Easy to do in my head... although in looking at the in structions all you need to add are the springs, three extra rings, and travel stops.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
The Q-modeling upscale has spoiled me.

:eek: So THAT'S what the smell is! :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
03-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Back in the 90's, Yitah Wu was giving away springs to do just this. I have a set sitting here somewhere. Here are his directions to accomplish this feat.

http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/tips/svspring.jpg

John Rolph also designed a way to do this. Here is his design:

http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/tips/ModrocShocks.jpg

Royatl
03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Excellent, I think a Bandit/Vega order is coming up!

I noticed the instructions say it was introduced in 1979, as 1320. The Starship Vega was originally introduced in 1973 as KC-4, and re-released in 1979, as 1320.

It was actually introduced as part of the Citation line in 1971!

Carl@Semroc
03-02-2012, 07:26 PM
It was actually introduced as part of the Citation line in 1971!You are absolutely correct!

Over the years I have been back and forth on which version to do. I had settled on the re-release version then changed back to the original. I thought I had corrected it everywhere, but I did not. The original is harder to assemble, but I think it looks better when finished.

Thanks Roy!

tbzep
03-02-2012, 08:00 PM
You are absolutely correct!

Over the years I have been back and forth on which version to do. I had settled on the re-release version then changed back to the original. I thought I had corrected it everywhere, but I did not. The original is harder to assemble, but I think it looks better when finished.
What's the difference in the Citation and the re-release?

Royatl
03-02-2012, 08:23 PM
What's the difference in the Citation and the re-release?

On the original, the pods had nosecones, and there was an embossed metallic wrap. The re-release had just open tubes for the pods and the wrap was replaced by a red decal.

tbzep
03-02-2012, 08:34 PM
On the original, the pods had nosecones, and there was an embossed metallic wrap. The re-release had just open tubes for the pods and the wrap was replaced by a red decal.
Thanks. I noticed the decal, but the pic I was looking at wasn't very good quality and I didn't notice the pod cones.