PDA

View Full Version : Simple Upscale Ratios?

DeanHFox
08-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Has anybody worked out a simple upscale ratios grid?

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

If the original modroc was based on a BT-20, and you have a chunk of BT-60...what's the upscale percentage so you can figure out (quickly) how much balsa / what size NC / etc. you'd need for the upscale?

If this hasn't already been posted somewhere, I'll work something up...just thought it would save a little time if I didn't need to reinvent the wheel. :D

snaquin
08-25-2006, 10:29 PM

If the original modroc was based on a BT-20, and you have a chunk of BT-60...what's the upscale percentage so you can figure out (quickly) how much balsa / what size NC / etc. you'd need for the upscale?

If this hasn't already been posted somewhere, I'll work something up...just thought it would save a little time if I didn't need to reinvent the wheel. :D

Dean

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for .....

Scott posted a "scale data chart" spreadsheet with the building tips here at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/tips.htm

Bob H
08-25-2006, 10:36 PM

If this hasn't already been posted somewhere, I'll work something up...just thought it would save a little time if I didn't need to reinvent the wheel. :DAll you need to do is divide the new body tube size by the old body tube size for the upscale / dowscale ratio.

1.637 (BT-60) / .736 (BT-20) = 2.22418 222% upscale.

EDIT: The Body Tube Ratio spreadsheet from the previous post works also but for me, it's easier to calculate the ratio rather than go find the spreadsheet and look it up.

sandman
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
That's all there is to that! :D

It also works the same for a downscale. BT 20 (0.736) /BT-60 (1.637) = 0.4496 or 45%

Math is our friend!

DeanHFox
08-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, all.

(reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where the boss asks Dilbert a question, and Dilbert replies with "All you need to do is divide the circumference of the table by the radius of the room" (or some such) and the boss just looks at him and says, "Don't get all mathy on me!") :D

Seriously...what I was looking for was closest to the "Body Tube Ratio Chart", but that chart is missing the "smaller" BT- sized tubes...but I'll just go ahead and do the calcs to make my own sheet for them.

As always, thanks! :)

sandman
08-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Dean,

I'm confused by you last statement..."smaller body tubes"...???

Is there something smaller than a BT-2?

A launch lug maybe? :confused:

The chart seems OK to me but then again I always do the math anyway...that's just me.

Besides, I need the math thing for the fins and nose cones so I can scale them up or down. :D

DeanHFox
08-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Dean,

I'm confused by you last statement..."smaller body tubes"...???

Is there something smaller than a BT-2?

A launch lug maybe? :confused:

The chart seems OK to me but then again I always do the math anyway...that's just me.

Besides, I need the math thing for the fins and nose cones so I can scale them up or down. :D
Maybe it's a terminology thing: Is a T-2 the same as a BT-2?

I was taking the chart's creator literally...he states that a "T" prefix is a Totally Tubular-produced tube, but a "BT" prefix indicates an Estes-produced tube. So there's no diff? :confused: :eek:

sandman
08-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Maybe it's a terminology thing: Is a T-2 the same as a BT-2?

Yes, Jim Fackert (Totally Tubular) made up the list you are referring to. The "T" designation is his own and yes a BT-5 is the same as a T-5.

His designation system using the "T" also works with some odd sizes (Like the T-.700) and some of the Centuri sizes.

When Jim started this system nobody else was making any other distinction on tube sizes so he came up with the "T" thing.

Did I explain that right??? :confused: ..hope so..

Well there isn't an industry standard for anything smaller than a BT-3 (which was the escape motor on the 1/70th Apollo Capsule).

The BT-2 (0.246) and BT-2+ (0.281) are Micro Maxx sizes.

His selection is great for doing scale stuff....if you aren't in a big hurry! :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
08-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Seriously...what I was looking for was closest to the "Body Tube Ratio Chart", but that chart is missing the "smaller" BT- sized tubes...but I'll just go ahead and do the calcs to make my own sheet for them.Like this one that I tried to send you, but maybe my e-mail filter "zapped" any of your incoming e-mails? :o

I had to "ZIP" the file since the forum didn't recognize ".xlr" as an accepted format. :eek:
It's rough, and probably Not Ready for Prime Time, but here you go anyway.

Cheers, buddy!

DeanHFox
08-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Like this one that I tried to send you, but maybe my e-mail filter "zapped" any of your incoming e-mails? :o

I had to "ZIP" the file since the forum didn't recognize ".xlr" as an accepted format. :eek:

Cheers, buddy!
You da man, Jay! That's exactly the format I was looking for. :D

Y'know, at the rate email filters are killing legit email, the day's just around the corner when email will be useless. :(

Ltvscout
08-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Like this one that I tried to send you, but maybe my e-mail filter "zapped" any of your incoming e-mails? :o

What's an XLR file? What program do you use to read it? I know that XLS is an Excel Spreadsheet.

DeanHFox
08-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Jay's got MS Works. The spreadsheets created in MSW are .xlr. They can easily be read by Excel, however. :)

Ltvscout
08-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Jay's got MS Works. The spreadsheets created in MSW are .xlr. They can easily be read by Excel, however. :)
Ah, I didn't even try it since I never heard of that extension. Thanks.

Ltvscout
08-26-2006, 05:47 PM

Jay,

Can I have permission to post this on the main YORS site under Building Tips?

Tau Zero
08-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Can I have permission to post this on the main YORS site under Building Tips?Sure! Take it and run! (Although I'll have to get around to polishing it, eventually. :o )

What's an XLR file?(trying to keep a straight face) XLR is an "accelerator" file that makes your computer run faster. :rolleyes:

And if you believe that, I've got several thousand acres of swampland in the high desert of Southern Idaho to sell you. :eek:

Cheers,

Ltvscout
08-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Sure! Take it and run! (Although I'll have to get around to polishing it, eventually. :o )
Thanks. It's now online. Send me any updates you may make to it down the road.

Tau Zero
08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks. It's now online.Here 'tis, for those who need a "Nearly Direct" link:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/tips.htm

Send me any updates you may make to it down the road.Will do!

Cheers,

jflis
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Dean,

Here's another chart with a focus on micromaxx sizes:

http://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/micromaxx/documents/mmx_scales.htm

jim

Ltvscout
08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Dean,

jim
Jim,

Can I link to this in my Building Tips section on YORP?

DeanHFox
08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Dean,

jim
Jim, that chart is *excellent*. Now I don't have any excuse for not doing some MMX downscales! :D

jflis
08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Jim,

Can I link to this in my Building Tips section on YORP?

Yep, you sure can! :)

Tau Zero
09-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Send me any updates you may make to it down the road.I about drove myself nuts trying to downscale a Semroc SLS Li'l Hustler to a "Littler Hustler" ...*WITHOUT* the following spreadsheet. :eek: :mad:

Scott, it's much more polished now, so I'm not quite as embarrassed at releasing this one. :rolleyes:

Semroc and Estes aficionadoes will be happy to see that Carl McLawhorn's 3 "new" FSI tube sizes (ST-8F, -11, and -18) are also included in Version 2. I also added Estes BT-3 and -40, since Carl sells those, as well.

However, I had to draw the line *somewhere,* so I didn't bother working in the Estes BT-51, BTH-70, BT-99, -100, or -101 body tubes.

Anyway, "here's yer sign!" :D ...er, "update."

Cheers,

Ltvscout
09-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Anyway, "here's yer sign!" :D ...er, "update."
Thanks. I've got the new one online now at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe in the Building Tips section.