PDA

View Full Version : BT 30 tubing ?????

Green Dragon
08-26-2006, 08:24 AM
guys,

can someone point me to a source for Estes BT30 equivalent tubing ?

I need a few pieces for some more 3fnc clones to round out my collection of ' had this as a kid' birds ( ie: Scout, Sky Hook ), also wantign to do the mini Brute Hornet.

I have a couple original bnc-30D, and a couple I had BMS make a few years back ( these fit some phenolic tubing I had as well, speced em as BT30 so I could buy extras :)

Anyways, I thought BMS had the tubing, but just ordered a batch of bt's and no BT30's....

Jim at Totally Tubular had em, not sure he's still shipping ?

or, if anyone has a length they;d part with , let me know ? ( would save me a huge bulk order, lol )

~ AL

ps: I do have an original 'BT30 B' tube, white convulute wound, not sure what that was from, it's NOS from a local hobby shop that gave me a box of 'found in the back' parts ( 10-12 years ago, before I knew what I had :-( , we turned an orignal ,less capsule,2 cluster gemini Tital into an egglofter, and other sacriledges lke ramjet tests with original BT55 V2 boatails,e tc ..... cries ......

if anyone can ID the tube I have, or wants the 'authentic' BT for some reason, drop me a note.

Ltvscout
08-26-2006, 09:02 AM
guys,

can someone point me to a source for Estes BT30 equivalent tubing ?
I'm pretty sure Taras used to carry it at http://www.argrockets.com/. You could try contacting him to see if he has any left. Jim at Totally Tubular may have it as well, just not listed on his "current" price list. I host his price list/contact info at http://www.wooshrocketry.org/misc/tt.htm.

Heh, I just did a google search to find BT-30 for you and found this link on my own site. :o

The T-30 BMS sells is the correct stuff, just has the incorrect dimensions listed.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/archive/index.php/t-328.html

Carl@Semroc
08-26-2006, 09:20 AM
We are trying to get BT-30 made with convolute wound, white bond paper like the originals. Vern gave me his source. Now if they can still make them. If not, we will release a spiral version. It is so close to the ST-7, we have put off ordering it.

What do you want for the original? It would be good to have one to compare our new tubes.

Green Dragon
08-26-2006, 10:09 AM
We are trying to get BT-30 made with convolute wound, white bond paper like the originals. Vern gave me his source. Now if they can still make them. If not, we will release a spiral version. It is so close to the ST-7, we have put off ordering it.

What do you want for the original? It would be good to have one to compare our new tubes.

I know the ST7 is real close ( and I doubt 98 % of fliers would notice the difference in, for example, a builtup Sky Hook.

Truthfully, I;m not so anal that I 'have to' have the BT30, but since I have a few cones.. plus if the BT30 is available, might as well have the 'correct' tubing, if I can;t find that, might have to use ST7 or BT20... although I do have an original spiral-wound BT30 Scout tube that I had used on a rocket glider :-(, still unpainted ( and using an original Streak BT10 cone, too....),so I could pull it apart and replace the r/g pod with BT20 - just used what I had around at the time, who ever figured anyone ( includeing myself ) would ever care or want this stuff, lol .
( yes, I'm going through my old stuff, have diecut fins,decals and parts from our contest days when we used to use the tubes and cones and toss the decals,etc in a box.....
so far I've ressurected a Scorpius,Galactic Taxi, Foxfire,and WASP , plus working on a Delta Star .. all from original diecut fins,decals,etc.... lucky me :) .. just glad I kept em instead of tossing out, although I did give away / sell for peanuts some items along the way, like the droop-nose Nova Starship cones, and many decals.....

~ AL

ps: Carl, will drop the tube in the mail monday ;)

Green Dragon
08-26-2006, 10:18 AM
YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope, lol ....

I just found that the BT30 is listed on Jonrockets.com site.

Just ordered a few , so will post when they come in on how they fit the vintage cones / size up to the vintage convolute piece I have,e tc.

~ AL

Green Dragon
08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, got in my BT30 tubes ordered from Jonrockets.com .

very nice natural colored hd tubing ( spiral wound ) .

these fit my vintage and BMS BT30 cones perfectly, and seems to match right up tot he one short piece of vintage spiral wound BT30 I have.

lookin good for those vintage 3fnc birds of my childhood ( Scout, Sky Hook, Mark II)

good to know that the BT30 is available, for the few who are nit-picky about that sort of thing, lol .

Happy building !

~ AL

Royatl
08-31-2006, 09:52 PM
YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope, lol ....

I just found that the BT30 is listed on Jonrockets.com site.

Just ordered a few , so will post when they come in on how they fit the vintage cones / size up to the vintage convolute piece I have,e tc.

~ AL

If they don't work, and if Taras doesn't have them any more, I can spare one or two I bought from him last year at NARAM.

EDIT: never mind; I just read your last message! Good to hear they work.

dwmzmm
08-31-2006, 10:33 PM
I can use some genuine BT-30 type tubing to build a "new" Aston Scout clone to replace the
original I lost January 2004 after becoming a BAR (my Astron Scout's "lifespan:" 1969 -
2004). The BT-30 holds up extremely well with the number of flights and "abuse" on recovery my Scout went through over the years...

SEL
09-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I can use some genuine BT-30 type tubing to build a "new" Aston Scout clone to replace the
original I lost January 2004 after becoming a BAR (my Astron Scout's "lifespan:" 1969 -
2004). The BT-30 holds up extremely well with the number of flights and "abuse" on recovery my Scout went through over the years...

I also bought a 15 pk from Taras last year. Kraft spiral-type, but very high quality and an exact match for the oId bt30f's. you want 1 or 2, send me your address off line and I'll get them out to you.

Sean

John Brohm
09-14-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Taras used to carry it at http://www.argrockets.com/. You could try contacting him to see if he has any left... (other stuff snipped)

Scott;

I just left Taras's shop about an hour ago, and I can confirm that he has quite a good supply left. Anyone looking for some BT-30 will find it at ARG (see Scott's URL entry above).

Ltvscout
09-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Scott;

I just left Taras's shop about an hour ago, and I can confirm that he has quite a good supply left. Anyone looking for some BT-30 will find it at ARG (see Scott's URL entry above).
What're you doin' up in Canada der, you hoser? :D

John Brohm
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM

Well I'll be splitting my time between Pittsburgh and Toronto for the next little while. Unfortunately, Taras's shop is not so far away from my condo here, so I'll be tempted to help boost the Canadian economy - don't tell my wife!

Ltvscout
09-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Well I'll be splitting my time between Pittsburgh and Toronto for the next little while. Unfortunately, Taras's shop is not so far away from my condo here, so I'll be tempted to help boost the Canadian economy - don't tell my wife!
Tell him I said "hi" next time you see him. He's got some great kits.

Ltvscout
01-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Scott;

I'm told that Taras (ARG Rockets) is now selling his BT-30 tubes through BMS.

http://www.argrockets.com/
http://www.balsamachining.com/

Another source now is Semroc. I just got my BT-30K tube today from them for cloning a Sprite as part of my Christmas discount order. FYI, they have basically all the parts necessary to clone a Sprite in stock now, including the ring fin and laser cut balsa. If you don't see it online just ask them for it. That goes for anything (old rocket related of course). Carl has a lot of goodies that he hasn't had a chance to post to his webstore yet. If you don't see it, just ask.

http://www.semroc.com/

Tau Zero
01-08-2007, 11:18 PM
What're you doin' up in Canada der, you hoser? :DSomebody told him, "Take off, eh? ;) --GET OUT!" :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Uh, he's from the Great White North, eh? :rolleyes:
I was in Canada for a wedding a few years back. I asked for a beer at the wedding reception and the girl gave me a Corona with a fruit salad in it. I gave it right back and this time specified a MOLSON. Geez, I said beer. How much more clear could I have been? :confused:
We had breakfast in town on our last day and I had peach nectar with my meal. That was the only really different thing I experienced on the trip. (Well, that and the border guards. :mad: )

SEL
01-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Another source now is Semroc. I just got my BT-30K tube today from them for cloning a Sprite as part of my Christmas discount order. ,,,,http://www.semroc.com/

Scott,

Are they the parallel wound manila type or spiral wound?

Sean

Royatl
01-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Scott,

Sean

Spiral.

Ltvscout
01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Scott,

Sean
Roy beat me to it. ;) Yes, they're spiral wound.

Maybe Carl will make some real BT-30 by having Sheryl handroll the tubes on a mandrel at home just like Gleda did. :D

hawkshobby
01-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Another source now is Semroc. I just got my BT-30K tube today from them for cloning a Sprite as part of my Christmas discount order. FYI, they have basically all the parts necessary to clone a Sprite in stock now, including the ring fin and laser cut balsa. If you don't see it online just ask them for it. That goes for anything (old rocket related of course). Carl has a lot of goodies that he hasn't had a chance to post to his webstore yet. If you don't see it, just ask.

http://www.semroc.com/

Speaking of the Sprite been having a conversation with a couple of people over the length of the BT-30K tube. I believe , myself that the listing in the body tube reference is wrong. As a kid I built 3 of these kits (lost each one due to someone stepping on it :( ) If you look at the instructions where it talks about lining up the fin guide with the hole it shows the tube being 2 3/4 in length and the fact that if you put the guide on wrong it hangs over the end by 1/4 in.
So my thinking and memory of building this kit ( which could be wrong ... I'm only human :rolleyes: ) I believe that the only difference between the BT-30J and the BT-30 K is the hole punched in at the factory. Any one have thoughts on this???? Please comment.

Mark

John Brohm
01-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Speaking of the Sprite ... I believe ... that the listing in the body tube reference is wrong. ... I believe that the only difference between the BT-30J and the BT-30 K is the hole punched in at the factory. Any one have thoughts on this???? Please comment.

Mark

Hi Mark;

The BT-30K length provided in the Body Tube Reference was taken directly from the 1974 Custom Parts Catalog; unfortunately I wasn't able to directly measure a sample of BT-30K, as I don't happen to have the Sprite in my kit collection. I also notice that Semroc has used the 1974 Parts Catalog length for their part.

You raise a valid point based on the information provided in the kit instructions, however if one were to rely on the listed overall length of the model then 2.75" would be too long (although this by itself is not a reliable data point as Estes was notorious for "approximating" kit lengths in their catalogs). But in thinking about it, and knowing of other errors in the 1974 Parts Catalog, it wouldn't be surprising to find yet another error. Perhaps when someone was transcribing 2-3/4" into a decimal entry it came out 2.34". Maybe someone with an actual K-15 Sprite kit can confirm the length of BT-30K. I'll be happy to correct the Reference List if the listing is in error.

Thanks for raising this one!

Green Dragon
01-27-2007, 10:20 PM
NOt sure if this was resolved, but finally remembered to grab my vintage built-up Sprite (purchased built, so I have to guess it;s correct, although did not open it up myself ).

Tube length on mine is 2 3/4"

Hope that helps - going to be building up another one with mini engine mount and streamer recovery, so I can fly it ( since I have an original BT70 tail riong in the parts box, found it the other day while foraging, lol ) ..

will post pics once stuff starts looking somewhat like rockets, lol .

~ AL

Bob H
01-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I have a Sprite that I built in 1967 and when I measured the body tube, it's 2.75"

stefanj
01-28-2007, 12:36 AM
A few years back I bought a whole bunch of "ST-30" tubing, plus lots of cones from BMS, in order to put together Skyhooks, Marks, Sprites and Spaceplanes.

I marked the tubes after they arrived. The '2.34"' figure shown on the Ninfinger BT chart caused me endless confusion. Why such a strange amount? Somewhere along the way I found a reference to the tube's true length.

John Brohm
01-28-2007, 10:11 AM
A few years back I bought a whole bunch of "ST-30" tubing, plus lots of cones from BMS, in order to put together Skyhooks, Marks, Sprites and Spaceplanes.

I marked the tubes after they arrived. The '2.34"' figure shown on the Ninfinger BT chart caused me endless confusion. Why such a strange amount? Somewhere along the way I found a reference to the tube's true length.

Hi Stefan;

The feedback that the guys have provided regarding their measured tubes is helpful, as it confirms the point. As Mark conjectured, it would appear that the BT-30K was 2.75" long, and was distinguished from the BT-30J by the fact that it had the factory-punched exhaust hole.

As I indicated in my earlier post, my best guess as to the incorrect length dimension in the 1974 Custom Parts Catalog is most likely due to someone transcribing the 2-3/4" length into a 2.34" decimal entry. Close scrutiny of the Parts Catalog will show other errors in other areas, so not so surprising.

I want to thank everyone for making the effort to measure an actual BT-30K; I don't have a Sprite in my collection, so I had to rely on the Parts Catalog as the source for the Tube Reference. This feedback allows me to update the Sprite entry in the Tube Reference, which will happen with the next release.

Thanks;

kurtschachner
01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Speaking of the pre-punched hole for the Sprite - I have a somewhat modified hole punch that is just right for punching that hole. Several years ago I looked high and low for one that had enough reach to make the required depth on the tube, and finally found one. I can't tell you where I finally stole (er, found) one, but it works and I'd be glad to loan it out to someone making a clone.

Ltvscout
01-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Speaking of the pre-punched hole for the Sprite - I have a somewhat modified hole punch that is just right for punching that hole. Several years ago I looked high and low for one that had enough reach to make the required depth on the tube, and finally found one. I can't tell you where I finally stole (er, found) one, but it works and I'd be glad to loan it out to someone making a clone.
If I'm ever able to make it to a meeting that you're at, I'll bring my tube so we can get it punched. Thanks.

SEL
01-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Kurt,

Can you post a photo so I'll (we'll) know it when we see it? Thanks.

Sean

kurtschachner
02-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Kurt,

Can you post a photo so I'll (we'll) know it when we see it? Thanks.

Sean

OK, here you go. It is >just< long enough to punch the hole in the correct location on the tube. The punch is made by the McGill Company, Marengo, IL. No model number or anything.

It originally had a moveable depth gage that I removed (easy to remove) so you could get full depth off the punch. Otherwise it would not reach.

I also drew up a punching guide for the tube, I'll have to search around for that. It made punching the tube easy.

kurtschachner
02-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Here is the marking guide. It has been a few years since I drew this thing and I kind of forgot how you use it. Somehow the black circle ends up where the hole should be, and the long rectangle is where the hook goes. You tape the guide on the tube and then punch through it to make the hole. Remove the guide before gluing the fins on of course.

kurtschachner
02-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Here's a photo of a partially completed Sprite I am assembling, using a Semroc RT-70 ring and laser-cut fins. The rest is old Estes stock, including a parallel-wound BT-30 and an old balsa cone.

The tube I have is 2.75 inches long and the hole is 1.25 inches from the top.

Bob H
02-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Here's a photo of a partially completed Sprite I am assembling, using a Semroc RT-70 ring and laser-cut fins. The rest is old Estes stock, including a parallel-wound BT-30 and an old balsa cone.

The tube I have is 2.75 inches long and the hole is 1.25 inches from the top.On my original, the hole was 1.25" from the BOTTOM.

You have to excuse the finishing skills (or lack of them). It was the first rocket I ever built.