PDA

View Full Version : First real model rocket, with pics just wondering wat you think

sw3de
08-26-2006, 06:31 PM
:p well i just finished my first real model rocket, wondering wat you guys though

its an old ICARUS (quest) got it for $5 at the local hobbylobby.
They arnt in production longer i think, but was that a good buy?
31 in, 1 in diameter LARGE payload, were can i get a cheap altimeter or sumthing?

just wondering wat the pros think!

Green Dragon
08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
That looks like a nice build - real clean job.

and yes, 5 bucks was a good deal .

I have an Icarus built myself, that I converted to 29mm ( not reccomended,as it's unstable without serious noseweight ).

( is the stock kit 18mm or 24mm mount ?, I think it's 18mm B-C sized ?)

You don't realy need an altimeter in anything that small, motor ejection delay should be fine - but if you want one for recording altitudes only, there are various ones available .

Smallest and less costly I believe is the perfectflite ( www.perfectflite.com ) , I have a pair of those, but have not flown them yet.

congrats on your first build - I;m sure more will be on the way :)

~ AL

sw3de
08-27-2006, 09:36 AM
thanks for the compliment, :D :D

but now i was wondering how high it would fly on b6-4 and c6-5?
:confused: :confused: is there a rule of tumb for most rockets to how high they will go?

PaulK
08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
is there a rule of tumb for most rockets to how high they will go?Get a copy of wRASP (Windows) or pRASP (Palm OS), it is quite good for rough altitude calcs.

wRASP: www.wrasp.com
pRASP: http://members.shaw.ca/whortens/

sw3de
08-27-2006, 12:13 PM
:mad: i just launched it like 2 hours a go and the fist 3 flights were really good not more then 500 feet though, im surprised i did so well on my fin placement ( i eyed it)!

then out of random on the third flight when it shot the forward charge set the bunggie cord on fire it was really cool until the back end lost its parachute and went straight down to the ground
the top is bent a little but not to much, though the engine mount went strait through the body.
luckely the cargo bay on the front cept its parachute and my passenger the muppet swedish chef landed saftly in the grass ( luckley) the backs parachute flew away
thankfully i have an other one somewhere.
i was wondering if this is reparable?? i hope it is! :)

thz for the altitude program too

it runs on b,c's

CPMcGraw
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
:mad: i just launched it like 2 hours a go and the fist 3 flights were really good not more then 500 feet though, im surprised i did so well on my fin placement ( i eyed it)!

then out of random on the third flight when it shot the forward charge set the bunggie cord on fire it was really cool until the back end lost its parachute and went straight down to the ground
the top is bent a little but not to much, though the engine mount went strait through the body.
luckely the cargo bay on the front cept its parachute and my passenger the muppet swedish chef landed saftly in the grass ( luckley) the backs parachute flew away

it runs on b,c's

sw3de, I just ran a RockSim on the Icarus, and got a maximum of 595' on the C6-5. Your actual flights tend to confirm this estimate.

The B6-4 only reaches about 200', BTW...

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-27-2006, 02:34 PM

it runs on b,c's

You flew the Swedish Chef?! THAT ROCKS! My all time favorite Muppet. My brother and I drove our parents crazy singing like him while we were on vacation in St. Louis one year. :cool: :D
Looks like you needed more glue on that engine mount.

Green Dragon
08-27-2006, 04:51 PM
You flew the Swedish Chef?! THAT ROCKS! My all time favorite Muppet. My brother and I drove our parents crazy singing like him while we were on vacation in St. Louis one year. :cool: :D
Looks like you needed more glue on that engine mount.

brd brderky er bork bork .. de rkets okey dokey..... something to that effect, hard to type, lol .

the chef ROCKS !, my all time fave mupept as well :)

( scarey, this guy's definately one of us )

as for the repairs - looks liek you can just cut off the crumpled section - the Icarus is long enough to not effect stability.

as for the motor mount failure ( on impact ) - did the rings tear ? or did it just tear loose from the glue joints ?
sounds like just not real strong to start ( thin cardboard rings are so-so ) - given you will have to reglur , or rebuild, the motor mount, might be a good chance to upgrade to D sized (24mm ) .
get a 24mm motor mount, cut new rings from some good heavy corrugated cardboard, and rebuild as original - also might be a good time to tie a kevlar leader around the top of the motor mount, and then new elastic tied to that ( Quest uses Kevlar initially, so maybe the kevlar is ok and reusable ? , )

sounds like a good days flying nonetheless :-)

~ AL

A Fish Named Wallyum
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
How about a pic of the Chef? :cool:

sw3de
08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
OK OK im posting pic of him in the cargo bay or what ever u call iti fixed the motor mount by cutting out card from an old board game, took me 1 hour though to get it the right shape and stuff

BORK
BORK
BORK

Tweener
08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
I dunno, looks more like a job for Beaker to me! ;)