PDA

View Full Version : Pics from the NRHSA Hobby Show

turbofireball
05-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Here are some pics from the NRHSA hobby show:

turbofireball
05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
The first pic is of "3 Bandits". It will be a set of 3 in 1 bag mini engine E2X kits. Next is a pic of the Nike Smoke, and some other pro series kit called Mega Der Red Max. Next pic shows a new skill level 2 kit called STM-012. It is 44 inches tall. Next pic is the "Pulsar Pink" (I personally don't like the name or color). It is the beginning of a set of Crayon style RTF rockets in different colors. I hope the next one is named Yowzah Yellow. Last pic is of the new Skydart. All the other Estes rockets shown are either out now, or already in the catalog. The new Mega Red Max and the STM-012 should arrive approximately September.

turbofireball
05-04-2012, 09:49 PM
The water rocket was the main focus of the Quest display. The pic shows it on the launch pad during an outside demo.

By the way, all the images have my annoying watermark on them. This is due to the fact that last year some other sites posted the images without consent and/or giving me credit for them. The pics are for your enjoyment on the YORF website.

CPMcGraw
05-04-2012, 10:13 PM
...Last pic is of the new Skydart...

Re-release of the original, or an upscale?

turbofireball
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
The pic is of the Astron Skydart II which is in the Estes 2012 catalog on pages 14/15. It is an updated re-release of the original.

JumpJet
05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I just wanted to mention that the Der Red Max uses a 4" diameter tube and a new blow moldeld upscale nose cone. The fins have a plywood center rib that is through the wall with 3/32" balsa sheeting on both sides. It will come with 30" diameter chute.

John Boren

stefanj
05-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Thank you for the pictures and news.

Jerry Irvine
05-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I just wanted to mention that the Der Red Max uses a 4" diameter tube and a new blow moldeld upscale nose cone. The fins have a plywood center rib that is through the wall with 3/32" balsa sheeting on both sides. It will come with 30" diameter chute.

John BorenEverything about this post is exciting. How can I get 50 nose cones?

stefanj
05-05-2012, 12:46 AM

John Boren
Hah! I predicted that a upscale Der Red Max might be in the offing, but didn't expect one this big, or with an interesting design spin.

Really, Estes is doing some fine innovative stuff.

I was considering something similar, fin-wise, for a spaceship model that uses the V2 / Silver Comet tailcone. 1/8" balsa core, 1/16" sheets on either side. The core is sized to go through the slots in the tail cone; the laminated sheets allow for a nice thick airfoil.

BEC
05-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Seriously cool stuff.

The little Bandits look to be kit versions of the recently released mini-motor RTFs - Sky Duster, Fat Jax and Nitro. At least they use the same fin cans but in different colors.

Having finally just built and flown my first Der Red Max and being partway through my first Pro Series II kit build (a Ventris) the MDRM makes me smile big time.

All I can say is "great stuff, John!!" and "thanks!!". Oh - and thanks turbofireball for taking the images and sharing 'em!

P.S. I am also glad to see rounded leading edges on fins. My background in things that fly from tiny to hundreds of passengers just won't let me leave 'em square. It's just wrong to do so ;).

Leo
05-05-2012, 01:17 AM

John Boren

Does the kit come with decals or do we have to make our own like with some other Pro Series II kits?

Gus
05-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Great stuff, John.

Really like the Mega Max and love the RTF crayon.

And the Skydart is fantastic.

Bill
05-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Next pic shows a new skill level 2 kit called STM-012. It is 44 inches tall.

Oooh, an STM-012 to go with my EPM-010...

That was the beer talking...

Bill

kurth
05-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Love the 4" red Max!

Figures it would come out, am I working on a BT-80 red max upscale. Thanks so much Estes! That is really a cool model.

gpoehlein
05-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Hmmm... Other uses for a 4" Der Red Max nose cone:

* A REALLY big Mean Machine!

* A super upscale Quark!

* A kingsize Wizard!

* A giant upscale Groove Tube!

Very, very cool!

rocketguy101
05-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Time to change the YORF masthead!!!! What OOP kit will replace the SkyDart?

Ltvscout
05-05-2012, 07:53 AM
The water rocket was the main focus of the Quest display. The pic shows it on the launch pad during an outside demo.

By the way, all the images have my annoying watermark on them. This is due to the fact that last year some other sites posted the images without consent and/or giving me credit for them. The pics are for your enjoyment on the YORF website.
Thank you for the pics and info, Turbo!

Ltvscout
05-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Time to change the YORF masthead!!!! What OOP kit will replace the SkyDart?
Heh, you're right! It's usually Semroc that causes the logo to change. It's great to see Estes re-releasing a cool old kit.

Rocketguy, if you would, start a new thread to have members vote on which rocket they'd like to see in our logo in the SkyDart's place. We usually put a kit in there that we'd like to see come out as a clone or re-release.

rocketguy101
05-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Heh, you're right! It's usually Semroc that causes the logo to change. It's great to see Estes re-releasing a cool old kit.

Rocketguy, if you would, start a new thread to have members vote on which rocket they'd like to see in our logo in the SkyDart's place. We usually put a kit in there that we'd like to see come out as a clone or re-release.
done (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11085)

Shamous
05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Really, Estes is doing some fine innovative stuff.

Agreed. I had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with John at Narcon 2012 and he is a great guy. He really gets it and we should all look forward for some cool stuff from Estes. :cool:

JumpJet
05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Everything about this post is exciting. How can I get 50 nose cones?

That's easy Buy 50 kits! :chuckle:

John Boren

JumpJet
05-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Does the kit come with decals or do we have to make our own like with some other Pro Series II kits?

This kit is going to come with several large sheets of decals. They will be a pain to apply but, oh well.

Oooh, an STM-012 to go with my EPM-010

This Model comes with Slotted Tubes and is a 2012 kit. Do ya get it!

love the RTF crayon.

Like the first post states this rocket will be coming in many colors over the next year or two. Please collect them all.

John Boren

chrism
05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Is the new Freefall rocket a new design or is it the Bailout in a new livery??

Jerry Irvine
05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
This Model comes with Slotted Tubes and is a 2012 kit. Do ya get it!
John BorenAt least you didn't call it Emanon. ;)

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/sonic160.htm

BTW on DRM I love BDR. Make more of those.

JumpJet
05-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Is the new Freefall rocket a new design or is it the Bailout in a new livery??

Pretty much the same, just different color and the parachute is most lilkely not the same.

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/sonic160.htm

I see the resemblance but this kit was design 10 months ago and the first and last time I’ve been to that site was when there was a discussion of decals a month or so ago. I’m sorry, but it’s almost impossible to design a rocket these days that doesn’t have some sort of resemblance to something else.

I purposely don’t go to many other rocket sites since I don’t want to be influence by other designs. I don’t even go to the designer’s studio on this forum so as to not be accused of borrowing someone else’s design. If you look back at much of the stuff out there these days, most of it has been influence by what Estes or Centuri has done in the past 50+ years. So I guess this goes both ways some times.

John Boren

Jerry Irvine
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
I am not accusing you of anything. Thanks for updating Estes. We are all enjoying watching you work. :)

Although mine was designed in the late 70's and kitted in the mid-80's.

Jerry

ghrocketman
05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
A 4" Red Max is HUGE !!!
Short of that 1/45 Little Joe II or Pershing 1A that I wanted, but still pretty danged cool !

When will the Skydart II be available to get into my greedy hands ?

Jerry Irvine
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
One of the very exciting things about the release of the 4:1 parabolic nose cone for the Der Red Max is the other Estes kit upscales and re-releases it makes possible.

Goblin
Patriot
Comet
Mean machine
Cobra 1500
Sprint (slight compromise)

I am sure many of you can think of others.

I hope the Goblin is next!

Centuri Micron

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IkvWwjdiIaE/TXGFsGKrn5I/AAAAAAAAAcQ/0-lXYdQRS7s/s400/Micron%2BKit.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MZLs0S3dutM/TXGFWjoTo8I/AAAAAAAAAbw/t0hvLdNHZzs/s400/Micron%2BPrimer%2BCoat.jpg

Centuri Screaming Eagle!

http://www.rocketreviews.com/images/archive/images6/cen_screaming_eagle04.jpg

Centuri Hummingbird?

http://astrocam.aea6.k12.ia.us/humdig5.jpg

Estes Scamp

http://www.billcooke.org/images/scamp.jpg

Jerry

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I know what you mean. Happens to me all the time. I take it as a compliment. Most of the time I do get credit, but occasionally not. One time it was our local newspaper. You'd think they'd know better. :mad:

Donaldsrockets
05-06-2012, 02:58 PM
That upscale Red Max looks awesome, I'm definitely in for one.

Does anyone have any idea what the MSRP will be???

Randy
05-06-2012, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE= snip John Boren[/QUOTE]

Totally off topic but I wanted to jump in here and say thanks John for your continuing to be a part of Yorf.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

PaulK
05-07-2012, 08:28 AM
The good stuff just keeps coming. Can't wait to see the Pro Series II Nike Smoke, Pro Series II Der Red Max, and Skydart II in stores.

ghrocketman
05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
How 'bout a Pro Series II 4" R/C BG MPR/HPR Maxi-Skydart ?
I'm thinkin' that cone could be good for that !

Shreadvector
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm thinkin' that cone could be good for that !

Semi-maxi-Skydart:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/2011-09-17-13-10-22-000jpg.html

JumpJet
05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

Back some 20 years ago I built a 3" upscale of the Scissor Wing Transport. I flew it on I-282 motors I believe, or something close if way too heavy and you really didn't want to be in the way when it was coming in for a landing.

John Boren

ECayemberg
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Back some 20 years ago I built a 3" upscale of the Scissor Wing Transport. I flew it on I-282 motors I believe, or something close if way too heavy and you really didn't want to be in the way when it was coming in for a landing.

John Boren

You know what's funny, I was looking through an old issue of HPR last night when I took note of the Scissor Wing Transport you mention above. It was, of course at an early Danville launch. Also recall seeing photos of a really purdy V-2 in several issues, including a cover!

Also have to add my "props" to the current Estes team for coming out with some really exciting products in the recent past and the impending future. Well done!

-Eric-

jetlag
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Semi-maxi-Skydart:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/2011-09-17-13-10-22-000jpg.html

I have the Neubauer Maxi Skydart, and it flies fantastically! Really a lot of fun on a 'D' motor; haven't tried it on an 'E' motor...

Allen

ghrocketman
05-08-2012, 02:29 PM
That Neubauer kit is WAYYYYYYY smaller than I'm looking for and WAAYYYYYYYY overpriced for it's size and contents.

GregGleason
05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Ya know, if we are are going to go, go BIG!

Mega Little Joe II! :cool:

Greg

Shamous
05-08-2012, 04:54 PM
A maxi Mercury Redstone would rock!

ghrocketman
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
4" Little Joe II, Mercury Redstone, or Gemini-Titan would be GREAT with an under $75.00 price point. SELL THEM DIRECT if you have to for this price point.
Something with some REAL COMPLEXITY, not a kit that can be literally THROWN together by any HACK in an hour with a set of 5 min epoxy.

NO more bland 3/4FNC jobs.
The Pro-Series Argent looks great and so does the 4" Red Max.
The others in the Pro-Series II don't do anything for me.