PDA

View Full Version : Estes Spitfire SSI Resurrection

jonrev
09-02-2006, 10:49 PM
A few months ago I found an old Estes Spitfire SSI on the side of the road. Although the body tube and nose cons were in good condition, the fins were destroyed. I managed to get new decals from Estes, but they did not send fins because the rocket has not been made since 2002.

Does anyone have a fin pattern I can download or does anyone have a spare fin sheet I can have so I can rebuild this rocket?

CPMcGraw
09-03-2006, 07:57 AM
A few months ago I found an old Estes Spitfire SSI on the side of the road. Although the body tube and nose cons were in good condition, the fins were destroyed. I managed to get new decals from Estes, but they did not send fins because the rocket has not been made since 2002.

Does anyone have a fin pattern I can download or does anyone have a spare fin sheet I can have so I can rebuild this rocket?

For everyone's benefit, this was not a separate kit release, but was part of a two-kit starter set called "Mega Maxx". It has a BT-50 nose cone with canopy and finlets, can't tell from the catalog picture if this is a modified 50K or 50Y. Catalog number was #1474.

Jon, when you say the fins were destroyed, you mean there was nothing left that could be scanned or traced, right?

jonrev
09-03-2006, 11:46 AM
One fin was OK but upside down (due to the previous owner) and had to be cut off. The other two were just stubs of wood and were completely un-salvagable.

John Brohm
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
For everyone's benefit, this was not a separate kit release, but was part of a two-kit starter set called "Mega Maxx". It has a BT-50 nose cone with canopy and finlets, can't tell from the catalog picture if this is a modified 50K or 50Y. Catalog [set] number was #1474.

Craig;

The nose used in the Spitfire is the same as the one found in the older #2010 Star Rider and the #2175 Nemesis (and it can still be found on occasion in the PNC-50 nose cone assortment). It's a blow molded nose with integral canards/finlets, P/N 071005. There is, as of yet, no known PNC designator for this part. Oddly, Estes has assigned the same part number to this nose cone as was assigned to the older, and completely dissimilar, PNC-50CA (the bulbous Alien Invader nose cone, kit #1281).

multispark
09-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I got the fin pattern .pdf and stickers .jpg for the Estes Spitfire SSI. The rocket kit came in an Estes Estate Auction on Ebay!

Hope this helps (a year latter).

Scott

jonrev
09-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Um, the Spitfire has been done for months now... thanks anyway.

multispark
09-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Well that good news.
How about posting a picture?
I have the kit still in the bag and will probably build it out this winter, I have the instructions but no color pictures of the final product.

Scott

jonrev
09-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Sorry, don't have any photos,

Have a video instead...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t0dbJ2ai1jQ