PDA

View Full Version : Quest Cobalt: Just a *little* too short

Tau Zero
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Over on our friend HCMBanjo's blog:

http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/02/quest-cobalt-clone-build-part-1-parts.html?showComment=1338434312619#c4538760881515822201

...I posted the following comment about my recent experience with the Quest Cobalt:

After supervising the local Civil Air Patrol cadets' rocket building session and helping with some of their demonstration launches, I would recommend "stretching" the body tube 2" to 6" long so there's ACTUALLY ROOM FOR THE STREAMER! =8-O

Over and over again, the ejection charge consistently melted the plastic streamers into lumpy "stream-wads."

Lengthening the body tube would also make the rocket more stable. You *might* be able to fly it with a "B" motor, but probably not a "C"... unless you were looking for an extremely memorable flight. (dismayed look)

"Bill (Old Rocketeer II) Stine, table for one." ;) :D

Thanks and cheers,

hcmbanjo
05-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah, mine felt "short" too, but that's the basis for the design.

I cut a fairly large hole in the nose cone to install a bit of clay nose weight and have extra room for the shock cord and streamer. I didn't have problems with the ejection pulling the streamer out of the nose cone. But, YMMV.

Mine certainly wasn't a good example of the Quest kit, it was an early clone before the instructions were available online, just close enough. I had a lot of A6-4 engines at the time.