PDA

View Full Version : Centuri 1/45 Little Joe on ebay

duobob
06-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi was browsing through the rockets on ebay and happend across this I would love it but I fly not collect! Didnt the wrap come installed on the tube from the factory?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/apollo-little-joe-11-rocket-kit-1-45-scale-/190686039498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c65c60dca

RWmarlow
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
The Catalog photos show the wraps pre installed...(i looked on Ninfinger)

RWmarlow
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Same Seller has a lot of built stuff on there with Two Chrome Citation Quasars and A Mini Bomarc among other stuff....Plus A Centuri Power Pad

Brent
06-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I would love to see Sandman put his Little Joe II out again.

duobob
06-05-2012, 11:18 PM
This auction also interested me there are some old motors the minis almost look sealed and a early launcher. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ESTES-Range-Box-and-Accessories-for-Flying-Model-Rocket-Build-Up-No-Res-/251078393964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7570406c

Earl
06-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Hi was browsing through the rockets on ebay and happend across this I would love it but I fly not collect! Didnt the wrap come installed on the tube from the factory?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/apollo-little-joe-11-rocket-kit-1-45-scale-/190686039498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c65c60dca

It came with the wrap already applied.

I sent the lister a message right after he put this out for auction a couple days ago telling him he needed to post some photos of the box contents (originally he had one photo of just the closed box). I mentioned to him that this kit routinely goes for $300 + on ebay.

He posted the additional photos in less than an hour.

I don't get a strong impression that he's a rocket guy or collector himself; probably picked up this item and the other stuff he has listed from an estate sale or similar. I don't think he realized at all how valuable the Little Joe was.

It would help too if he added 'Centuri' to his auction title and changed the '11' ('eleven') in the title to capital 'eyes' (II).

Earl

Royatl
06-06-2012, 02:47 AM
grr... I was about to post my LJII up on ebay. Now I need to wait a few weeks.

Royatl
06-06-2012, 02:48 AM

It did, though they left the backing paper in the kit with some additional details.

tbzep
06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I wish ya'll wouldn't advertise to the masses or help sellers with auctions like that. The more obscure the listing and the fewer people that know about it, the better chance folks like me at the low end of the pay scale might snag a bargain.

RWmarlow
06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
we are a small niche market...and mostly friends...Sell that Les Paul and buy Rocket stuff :D

duobob
06-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Sorry tdzep :o I just wanted to let our friendly little community here know about it! I did think about that though ( if someone from here was bidding already ;) )

Earl
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I wish ya'll wouldn't advertise to the masses or help sellers with auctions like that. The more obscure the listing and the fewer people that know about it, the better chance folks like me at the low end of the pay scale might snag a bargain.

I debate whether to post some of these announcements myself sometimes but most times come down on the side of 'trying to inform' for those who might be looking for a particular item. In most cases it seems these type 'highly sought' items get 'found out' eventually by enough people on eBay that trying to get a good deal most times seems to be a lost cause.

Every once in a while however someone will list an item incorrectly or with such an incorrect description that few people find it.

I once got a real good deal on a pretty good vintage Centuri catalog for a friend because the seller listed it under the name 'Century'. Got it for like $2.50. And a pretty good deal on a complete and unused Cineroc because the seller mis-spelled it in the listing as a 'Cinerco' movie camera. Got that one for under $110.

Earl

tbzep
06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Sell that Les Paul and buy Rocket stuff :D
I can't do that! :eek: :D

ghrocketman
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Agree with Tbzep !
Keep those ignorant about vintage kit values that way.
Some of us prefer to score items WITHOUT paying astronomical and as-inine sums of $$$ for them.
If I could talk someone into selling me this kit for $20.00, I would have NO qualms about doing so.

Cohetero-negro
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Agree with Tbzep !
Keep those NOT ignorant about vintage kit values that way.
Some of us prefer to score items WITHOUT paying astronomical and as-inine sums of $$$ for them.
If I could talk someone into selling me this kit for $20.00, I would have NO qualms about doing so.

GH,

The best and I mean very best score I ever had for a model rocket purchase was buying a mint sealed Centuri Lazer-X and a Mint Centuri Saturn V (color box) for $10.00!!! The Laser-X was being sold for $0.50 and the Saturn for $10.00 but I made an offer on both and got them for $10.00.

Now look at the $190.00 Centuri Laser-X that just sold on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-70s-Centuri-Laser-X-Space-Probe-Flying-Model-Rocket-Kit-NEW-SEALED-vintage-/170849637760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c76e9580

There are still deals to be found ... just have to work at it :)

Jonathan

jetlag
06-08-2012, 03:05 PM
The LJ II went for $319.09. I bid on it, just not that high. It was sniped with 2 seconds on the clock anyway.

The buyer should be pleased; that kit looked practically mint.

Allen

Earl
06-08-2012, 07:03 PM
The LJ II went for $319.09. I bid on it, just not that high. It was sniped with 2 seconds on the clock anyway.

The buyer should be pleased; that kit looked practically mint.

Allen

Yeah, as I posted above, I don't think this person really understood the value of this kit when he first posted it......which is understandable if one is not in the hobby. I suggested he post some photos of the box contents not just the box alone and told him these kits usually fetch upwards of $300 or more on ebay. In this case the bidders didn't make a liar out of me.

I suspect he is a VERY happy ebayer about now. ;)

Earl

Neal Miller
06-08-2012, 09:58 PM
The Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II was one of my favorite model rockets. it has been a great investment for over the past 20 years, especially if you bought the kit along time ago. The original 1969 price was $12.95 , adjusted for inflation this would come to over $80.00 in today's money. Selling for $319.00 puts you at 4 X the rate of inflation.The kit sold on EBay was in the illustrated box, the last catalog price for this kit was $19.00, (I think in 1974). Centuri latter closed out these kits in 1977 for the original price of $12.95.
So don' feel bad if you sold one of these 10 yeas ago for say $ 250.00 because that is
equal to $325.00 now. I sold mine 12 years ago.

Earl
06-08-2012, 11:02 PM
The Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II was one of my favorite model rockets. it has been a great investment for over the past 20 years, especially if you bought the kit along time ago. The original 1969 price was $12.95 , adjusted for inflation this would come to over $80.00 in today's money. Selling for $319.00 puts you at 4 X the rate of inflation.The kit sold on EBay was in the illustrated box, the last catalog price for this kit was $19.00, (I think in 1974). Centuri latter closed out these kits in 1977 for the original price of $12.95.
So don' feel bad if you sold one of these 10 yeas ago for say $ 250.00 because that is
equal to $325.00 now. I sold mine 12 years ago.

I remember getting that Centuri Rocket Times issue in the mail (spring of '77 as I recall) stating that the Little Joe II kit would be closed out and sold at the price you mention above. While that was indeed a much better price than the going catalog price at the time (the kit was still listed in their latest catalog then), I remember thinking that $12.95 was still a fair chunk of change more than I had available at the time.

But gosh, if one had known then what we know now about the escalation in value as you point out, I suspect many of us would have FOUND a way to scrape up the money to get at least one of them. As it was, it would take me some 31 years later before I snagged my first Little Joe II kit.

Earl

Cohetero-negro
06-08-2012, 11:41 PM
I remember getting that Centuri Rocket Times issue in the mail (spring of '77 as I recall) stating that the Little Joe II kit would be closed out and sold at the price you mention above. While that was indeed a much better price than the going catalog price at the time (the kit was still listed in their latest catalog then), I remember thinking that $12.95 was still a fair chunk of change more than I had available at the time.

But gosh, if one had known then what we know now about the escalation in value as you point out, I suspect many of us would have FOUND a way to scrape up the money to get at least one of them. As it was, it would take me some 31 years later before I snagged my first Little Joe II kit.

Earl

Earl,

I think Centuri actually sold the Little Joe II for $8.95 back in 1978 or 1980 for funds to help the U.S. FAI team. There was a flyer sent out asking people to support ... that may have been something that was not corporate, but what Grant Boyd did on his own; not sure of the details, but I think that was the last available price for the kit... even below its original starting price. I don't think Centuri sold many of the kits. There was rumor that the special wrap was no longer available and they had to discontinue the kit.

Grant had flyers with many different products including plastic kits, model rockets, and NASA stuff for sale.

I would have either dig it up or have one of the readers here dig it up and confirm. $8.95/$12.95 either way that was a lot of cash back then:

What cost $12.95 in 1977 would cost $46.04 in 2010. <- http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

So even in today's money, these LJ II's are over priced :(

The highest I have seen for the LJ II was over $500:

Name Qty Low Mean High
Little Joe II, KS-8 5 [510]... 589 ...[668]

Gerry doesn't have Centuri kit prices :(

Jonathan

Earl
06-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Earl,

I think Centuri actually sold the Little Joe II for $8.95 back in 1978 or 1980 for funds to help the U.S. FAI team. There was a flyer sent out asking people to support ... that may have been something that was not corporate, but what Grant Boyd did on his own; not sure of the details, but I think that was the last available price for the kit... even below its original starting price. I don't think Centuri sold many of the kits. There was rumor that the special wrap was no longer available and they had to discontinue the kit.

Grant had flyers with many different products including plastic kits, model rockets, and NASA stuff for sale.

I would have either dig it up or have one of the readers here dig it up and confirm. $8.95/$12.95 either way that was a lot of cash back then:

What cost $12.95 in 1977 would cost $46.04 in 2010. <- http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

So even in today's money, these LJ II's are over priced :(

The highest I have seen for the LJ II was over $500:

Name Qty Low Mean High
Little Joe II, KS-8 5 [510]... 589 ...[668]

Gerry doesn't have Centuri kit prices :(

Jonathan

Centuri had (or 'sponsored') a Nostalgia Sale to help support the NAR team in the Internats during '78 and '80. They advertized those on the back of the Model Rocketeer (name of the NAR mag back in those days), and as you mention, had all kinds of old and collectable items offered for sale with all proceeds going to support the USA team. Even had some old Estes stuff and MMI stuff too, as I recall.

But that was not actually Centuri 'company' stock stuff I don't suspect, really. I always assumed it was stuff that maybe the Centuri staffers donated (and possibly others all across the NAR-world at the time) to help support the USA team in their quest for Internat fame and glory. Pretty good corporate gesture on Centuri's part, all-in-all.

I suspect those same lists of items sold now would bring in tons more than they did 30 plus years ago!

I can probably dig out one of my old Model Rocketeer mags and see what some of the items are. I'll scan and post if I can find one.

As for the demise of the Little Joe II, Centuri stated the 'high cost' of making more parts at the time. By the late 70s inflation was going through the roof and I suspect having an additional parts run of the plastic capsule and tower, along with all the multitude of other parts that went into that kit was just gonna push the cost of the kit into the $25-$30 range. Sales had probably slacked off too over the years (Apollo was over and the NASA glory days were gone). So I suspect those two factors doomed the kit to the history pile at that point. I don't image margins were/are very high on a kit like that. It was cutting edge in it's materials usage and scale detail however when it was introduced in the summer of '68 (or was it '69?).

Earl

tbzep
06-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Disco.....it's all disco's fault. :mad:

:D

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Disco.....it's all disco's fault. :mad:

:D

What isn't? :confused:

turbofireball
06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Jonathan,
Just to add to your information, the last regular appearance of the Little Joe in a Centuri catalog was the 763 catalog.
That year it had a MSRP of $19, which in 2012 pricing would be $76.83 at full retail. <-http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
So you are right, they are overpriced today, except for the fact that the kit hasn't been made in 35 years and Centuri has no plans ever to re-release the kit (kinda out of business).
The closest we have to re-releases were the Kosrox kit (web searching shows last available in 1998 for $40) and the Roachwerks kit (web searching shows that in 2007 he was planning on another run of kits at $140).
Also, in my keeping of records of Centuri kit prices, the highest on ebay was $685 ($668 was the second highest), and that was for a sealed very mint kit.

Cohetero-negro
06-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Jonathan,
Just to add to your information, the last regular appearance of the Little Joe in a Centuri catalog was the 763 catalog.
That year it had a MSRP of $19, which in 2012 pricing would be $76.83 at full retail. <-http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
So you are right, they are overpriced today, except for the fact that the kit hasn't been made in 35 years and Centuri has no plans ever to re-release the kit (kinda out of business).
The closest we have to re-releases were the Kosrox kit (web searching shows last available in 1998 for $40) and the Roachwerks kit (web searching shows that in 2007 he was planning on another run of kits at $140).
Also, in my keeping of records of Centuri kit prices, the highest on ebay was $685 ($668 was the second highest), and that was for a sealed very mint kit.
Turbo,

Thanks for the info.

There has been one manufacture who has expressed a real interest in re-releasing the Centuri LJ II, but he has been too busy launching real rockets into space. :rolleyes:

There might be something said later on this year or early next...

Jonathan

ghrocketman
06-09-2012, 03:01 PM
For a kit of the detail of the 1/45 LJII, $76.83 in 2012 dollars seems reasonable.
$300 plus does not and I don't care if it has not been produced in 75 years let alone 35.
There were thousands of them produced and the only reason they are going for these IGNORANT prices is due to collector hoarding.

$140 for the Roachwerks kit I find to be very pricey, but probably will spring for one if they EVER get produced again.
I was going to pick up the big Neubauer kit but never got around to it.

I hope someone does start producing this kit again. I would pay up to $100 but no more.