PDA

View Full Version : Estes Star Seeker Upscale

EchoVictor
09-11-2006, 10:03 PM
So I was looking through a couple of boxes the other night, and came upon one my old kits from my younger days. She's a bit the worse
for wear, with several decals peeling off. Rather than trying to repair the decals, or risk flying her again, I've decided to retire the old girl.

But, I can't not have a cool design like this in my fleet, so what to do? Why, an upscale of course. Based on what spare parts I had
available, I went with a BT-50 base, which means this one's a 179% upscale. Here they are together.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/EchoVictor/Rocket%20Stuff/100_0287.jpg

Later,
EV

Ltvscout
09-11-2006, 10:10 PM
But, I can't not have a cool design like this in my fleet, so what to do? Why, an upscale of course. Based on what spare parts I had
available, I went with a BT-50 base, which means this one's a 179% upscale. Here they are together.
As always, another great looking sci-fi bird from EV Labs. :D

Green Dragon
09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
OK, now you did it, went and ruined my surprise, lol....

actually, the BT50 version looks great, I just last week printed BT50 upscale patterns for those, what did you use for the 'engines' ?
any other tricks to know ?

I was thinking of doing the whole tri-pak in BT50 upscales to go with my " started years ago and finally getting done " tri-pak upscales.

I have the Star Seeker ready for paint ( after some more sanding, grimmace ).

Same with the SCRAM , although the Sting Ray all I have so far is the tube cut and the fins cut.

photos below are of the Star Seeker, that I just so happen to have here at the apartment, lol .. brought over to sand and paint in my so-called free time.
usually would wait until it was painted / done to show it off, but here 'tis :)

BT80 sized , with original sized Sting Ray clone for scale ( just painted that Sting Ray today)

side note: your BT50 looks nice with near-correct cone.

I started mine with LOC tubes and Estes PNC-80K cones. before I knew of anything longer in 2.6 cones ( might not have been any choices then, lol ) .
I was going to swap to a longer PML cone, but I have ' Loc-style' (wall mounted) shock cord mounts firmly attached and the shoulder on a PML cone is too long to fit :-(
could rip the sc out but hate to do so .. I did order the BMS cone shown, since it fits the HD Loc tube better,without the small 'lip' ( my 'no-photos-yet' SCRAM still has an Estes cone, not sure if it's worth the expense to swap or not )

open to suggestions - does it look ok as is ?

I recall someone ( apologies for my short-term memory loss ) posting recently about not being as nit-picky about the upscales,etc as they use to be - also was a post about the BT80 Goblin using a NC80, which is "wrong", as these will be - should I worry about it, or just build the set with NC-80K's ?

~ AL

( always ready to show off, lol..... sorry to steal your thread EV, just funny this is the exact bird I just got from my 'ex-workspace' at my dad's , just yesterday .. :)

EchoVictor
09-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Al,

the BT-80 version looks sweet!

As for your question about upscales, I wouldn't worry about being hyper-accurate. Go build 'em with the PNC-80K's. It's not like someone's going to walk up to you on the field and complain that your nose cone is 0.125" too short, or whatever.

Your rocket looks cool, and for me, that's all that matters. :D

(BTW, the body tube on mine is technically 1/2" too long. It was what I had on hand, and I didn't care to take the time to cut the tube over a stupid 1/2 inch!)

Later,
EV

Green Dragon
09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Al,

the BT-80 version looks sweet!

As for your question about upscales, I wouldn't worry about being hyper-accurate. Go build 'em with the PNC-80K's. It's not like someone's going to walk up to you on the field and complain that your nose cone is 0.125" too short, or whatever.

Your rocket looks cool, and for me, that's all that matters. :D

(BTW, the body tube on mine is technically 1/2" too long. It was what I had on hand, and I didn't care to take the time to cut the tube over a stupid 1/2 inch!)

Later,
EV

Lol, thanks :-)

I would never have noticed yours was 1/2" short, so point made .. although the cone being 2" short is noticable to ME ( on mine ), but you're right, most ppl aren't going to measure it at the field :-)

Will keep you posted.

~ AL

ps: I already redrew the decal sheet to BT50 size, it's not perfect, but not bad, so lmk if you want a copy ( pm or email,whatever ) .

EchoVictor
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Al,

Actually, mine's a 1/2" too long, but once again, who really notices or cares? :D

In regards to the decals, by all means I'd love a copy of what you drew. I'm interested to see how someone else resolved the red vs. blue wing stripe mismatch on the scan that exists on JimZ.

Later,
EV

Tau Zero
09-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I recall someone ( apologies for my short-term memory loss ) posting recently about not being as nit-picky about the upscales, etc as they use to beDear Al,

I've said that on occasion, but I'm sure I'm not the *only* one. ;) :D

Actually, I try to get it "close," especially when it comes to nose cone shapes. If the original rocket had a rounded nose cone, I have no problem sanding the pointy tip off an upscale nose cone. :D (Of course, that assumes that I'm dealing with wood instead of plastic, doesn't it? :o )

Your upscale projects sound like fun, and that's why so many of us are in this hobby. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

EchoVictor
10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Flew her this weekend on an A8-3. Straight and true, and she actually went pretty high. Final paint and decals to follow....

Later,
EV

EchoVictor
03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Finally got around to finishing this one too last weekend. I was in the mood for a walk, so her second flight was on a C6-5. Since this thing weighs next to nothin', she just screamed off the pad. I should have reefed the chute, 'cause I had a loooooong walk...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/EchoVictor/Rocket%20Stuff/100_0715.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/EchoVictor/Rocket%20Stuff/100_0716.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/EchoVictor/Rocket%20Stuff/100_0702.jpg

Later,
EV