PDA

View Full Version : Using fuel proof dope

Kadet
09-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Has anyone out ther ever tried using hot fuel proof dope on the engine exahust area and the inside of the airframe to help prevent hot gases from doing any damage? I was thinking about using a black color dope to also help hide the soot.

Ltvscout
09-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Has anyone out ther ever tried using hot fuel proof dope on the engine exahust area and the inside of the airframe to help prevent hot gases from doing any damage? I was thinking about using a black color dope to also help hide the soot.
Centuri used to sell a flameproofing solution. I believe it was just a Sodium Silicate solution. I think I still have my dried up old bottle around here somewhere. It was marketed to do just what you're looking to do. Especially useful on The Point.

ghrocketman
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Hot fuel proof dope is only "hot proof" from R/C piston-engine engine exhaust (hot oil & nitromethane); it is not even close to being "rocket-exhaust" proof in ANY sense at all !
Coating rocket parts with dope adds ZERO heat protection.

Kadet
09-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Good info and thanks. At least know I won't be wasting time and money. :D

Green Dragon
09-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Centuri used to sell a flameproofing solution. I believe it was just a Sodium Silicate solution. I think I still have my dried up old bottle around here somewhere. It was marketed to do just what you're looking to do. Especially useful on The Point.

Hey !, I still have an old 'dried up and solid now' bottle of that myself :)

And I even know where it's packed, lol, saw that the other day while hunting, wondered if it was now 'collectible' ;)

Someplace I have a Centuri Chute Powder can as well, used to refill and use that for a long time, wonder where it is ...

grabs shovel and heads out to the shop .....

~ AL

Ltvscout
09-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey !, I still have an old 'dried up and solid now' bottle of that myself :)

And I even know where it's packed, lol, saw that the other day while hunting, wondered if it was now 'collectible' ;)
I think I've only seen one bottle of this ever on eBay. Of course it was dried up. :D

Someplace I have a Centuri Chute Powder can as well, used to refill and use that for a long time, wonder where it is ...
I've got a bunch of these still, new and full. It's what I still use when I pack my chutes. I came across a bunch of them about five or six years ago.

CPMcGraw
09-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Good info and thanks. At least know I won't be wasting time and money. :D

I believe there is a modern-day equivalent to this stuff, used by the RC Turbine Jet enthusiasts. It's sprayed onto the insides of fiberglass and CF tailpipes to prevent blistering and delaminating. IIRC, it's a silica-based suspension, applied with an airbrush. I don't have a name for the product, or a source, but you might contact distributors for Bob Violet Models, which is one of the larger players in this niche market.

James Pierson
09-17-2006, 01:57 PM
In the past I have done some construction work in some rest homes and the building codes require most things to be fire retardant. A spray called Firenix was used on the fake plants in the hallways and other stuff. I would contact your nearest Fire Dept or Fire Extinguisher Sales Office.

Hope this helps, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

SEL
09-17-2006, 08:47 PM

Same here , although there is still a some liquid in the bottle. At some point, I had tried to break up the part that had solidified with the hope of getting it to disolve, but no luck.
There are no ingredients listed on the lable either.
Does anyone out there have a bottle that is NOT dried up?

Sean

Bob Thomas
09-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Having suffered from body tube burn through in my earlier incarnation of rocketeer as a youth, I have been searching for such a solution as well. In a prior post I mentioned that I treated the interior of my Cherokee D with black stove paint. Just a couple of sprays with the high heat paint on the interior of the tube. The rear mounted tether was tucked out the back and a cotton ball kept the engine tube clean. My woodburning stove can get upwards of 1000 degrees without a hint of damage to the paint, but I don't know how hot your motor exhaust or ejection charge gets. I do know I have launched the Cherokee on an E and almost a dozen D engines, with no burn through yet and not a hint of bubbling. So if you don't mind the weight of another coat of paint, it might help.

DaveR
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I probably have some change coming and I am by no means near the rocketry authority of the regular posters on this site, but I use the aluminum "foil" tape used on air conditioning units. Sorry, I am not sure of the scientific name of this product. I cut lengths of whatever size is appropriate and "curve" the tape upward toward the shiny side before removing the backing. It's kinda challenging to get the tape inside the tube ( you need to remove the backing BEFORE you insert the tape into the tube ;) ) but once it's inside, I use an old dowel rod to secure the tape to inside of the tube. It's easier if you try this using 2 or 3 strips to cover the inside of the tube. So far, I have not had any burn through on any of my tubes, and it cleans up reasonably well with a big cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.