PDA

View Full Version : Arcas Project (and "Thanks" to Gus)

MarkB.
08-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Listmates:

First, some background: As a young engineering grad student at what was then Texas Western College, my dad's summer job was to launch Arcas rockets in Antarctica. He was supervised by an equally young physics grad student who was the grant applicant on the project. With another engineering student, he spent two summers launching what I believe to be a total of 40 Arcas rockets from McMurdo Station. Note that summer in Texas is winter in Antarctica. He allows that it was pretty cold down there. After the second trip, he came back, married the physics major and joined the Apollo program.

Fast-forward 50 years.

My dad always helped with my rockets so I thought it would be fun to have him see his grandkids interested. Earlier this year, I acquired seven BMS/Alway Arcas rockets from various sources and gave them to my sons, nieces and nephews. I also gave one to my dad. Then I had to get five more for my brother, sister, brother-in-law and amazingly, my wife, SWMBO after they decided they were "in". My sons have built rockets in Cub Scouts and amazingly my youngest niece, who's a first grader, built and flew a rocket at summer engineering camp at UTEP. My dad, brother and sister have all built rockets before, but many, many years ago. For the others, well, its their first time.

The first ones are starting to be completed and if they raise the burn ban, maybe we can launch next month.

The first picture shows the prototype stand I built. A huge THANK YOU to "Gus" who responded to my request for expended mini engine casings on this forum about a month ago. This is what I did with them: 3.25 inch hole saw in .5" pine, 3" of 3/8 inch dowel and an expended casing = instant display stand for a rocket that does not stand up on its own.

The second picture shows the stand under my son's Arcas in the brown scheme.

Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be able to send you a picture of dozen Arcases ready to launch or even better, a picture of the launch itself.