PDA

View Full Version : I want my rocket to be a boomerang

Busker
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
My son and I built a model rocket. This rocket will fly 1275 feet in the air with the proper engine. I'm afraid I will lose the rocket if it is a windy day. So I have been trying to research a formula that will make the rocket land close to my launch pad. I seen the weather ****ing formula, but I won't know what angle of flight (B) will be until after it launches.

So, if I knew what the wind speed is that day and what direction, what
would be the formula so the rocket will drift and come right back down
to us?

Thanks for your help!

chrism
09-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm sure there are those who can come up with an answer for you. Usually if it is too windy I will not launch that day, but generally I launch into the wind and pray that it comes back!

jetlag
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
While I'm not aware of a 'formula' per se, one needs to know the sink rate and wind speed to start with to get some idea of the answer to your question.

On a 'windy' day, say 5 to 15 mph winds, I like to start with a less powerful engine as a test.
If the rocket is light weight, you can use a streamer for recovery instead of a parachute. If a 'chute is needed, then you might think of a smaller 'chute. Maybe a spill hole in the 'chute. A lot of angle in the launch rod is not a good idea, as at some point, you trade too much altitude for a more angled flight, which may be too low for the recovery system to deploy properly.
Etc., etc., etc.

Angle the rod about 5-10 degrees into the wind and try an A8-3 engine first, if you can.
See what happens! There is no substitute for experience, and sometimes that experience may just have to come with a little trial and error!

Good luck!

Allen

tbzep
09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
I use the TLAR method. I throw up some grass to gauge the wind direction and speed, then angle the rod into the wind and say, "That looks about right!" :D