PDA

View Full Version : launchfields and clubs in Indianapolis

Stevesdal
09-21-2012, 01:58 PM
:D OK! I live on the southside of Indianpolis and I'm looking for a launchfield that's somewhere near me. I'm also looking for a club that's near the southside of Indianapolis, so I don't have to drive all over creation to enjoy my rockets.

I have to admit that the kind of club I'm looking for is one where the members understand what I'm building, what I'm talking about, and the issues I run into. I'm not looking for a club where the members are all children. I'm an adult and I like to build and fly large mid and high power rockets. Therefore a lot of the build techniques and kits are more difficult than kits like Estes kits. I understand that a lot of the techniques are universal, I have just found that I'm running into things that are more difficult with my kits. That's why I'm looking for a club that's made up of my peers. :D

I don't want to drive from Indianapolis to Muncie or South Bend to fly either. Let's be honest, gas is super expensive now and rockets aren't a cheap hobby to begin with. :(

Thanks,

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-21-2012, 02:59 PM
:confused: I've flown on the field in Muncie and I hope to do so again. Sometimes you have to drive a little to be able to do the kind of flying you want to do. My field is about the same distance as it is from Indy to Muncie. It's well worth it to me to fly once or twice a month.

evil ed
10-02-2012, 07:49 AM
I currently belong to three clubs in the "Indianapolis Area."

Amorea is the local LPR club, with the capability of launching up to a "G."
Currently they are having launch site issues so launches are a hit/miss affair.

ROCI leans more towards MPR. They launch up at Muncie, where the 2007 NSL was held, during Spring-Fall.

Indiana Rocketry launches outside of Lafayette, In. This group is mostly made up of the "local" HPR folks.

These groups are made up of MY peers. They are all the kind of people that help others and do not look down on people flying models with a lower power rating, and all respect and admire a well made model. At all three clubs, kids are not only welcome, but encouraged.
We understand this is the future of our hobby.

Evil Ed Hartle
Hartle Engineering, Inc.

gpoehlein
10-02-2012, 07:56 AM
It's a little further away, but Launch Crüe flies in Holland. South on 231 until you get to I64 and then east to the next exit. We host four Regional contest each year and the farm fields are large enough that we can fly up to J or K motors (although dual deploy is really recommended for the bigger stuff if you don't want to walk a long way to get it back or potentially lose it. G, H and I is easily doable there, and we fly a lot of LP stuff as well. Sport launches usually held the second Sunday each month. Non-NAR members always welcome.

BTW, Ed, you still haven't made it down for a launch. You gotta get down here some time! ;)

evil ed
10-02-2012, 08:15 AM
It's a little further away, but Launch Crüe flies in Holland. South on 231 until you get to I64 and then east to the next exit. We host four Regional contest each year and the farm fields are large enough that we can fly up to J or K motors (although dual deploy is really recommended for the bigger stuff if you don't want to walk a long way to get it back or potentially lose it. G, H and I is easily doable there, and we fly a lot of LP stuff as well. Sport launches usually held the second Sunday each month. Non-NAR members always welcome.

BTW, Ed, you still haven't made it down for a launch. You gotta get down here some time! ;)

DANG!
Thanx for the reminder!!!
I'm busy on the 13th but free (as of now) in the 14th! The only thing that could get in the way is if AMOREA hosts a group of Cub Scouts on that day (about 60 potential future rocketteers, all with rocket questions- just like herding cats....)

Give me a confirmation for the 14th. If no Cub Scouts, and the "Check Engine" light doesn't come on, I'll be there!

Evil Ed

P.S.
Boiled Custard???

Bill
10-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I currently belong to three clubs in the "Indianapolis Area."

Amorea is the local LPR club, with the capability of launching up to a "G."
Currently they are having launch site issues so launches are a hit/miss affair.

ROCI leans more towards MPR. They launch up at Muncie, where the 2007 NSL was held, during Spring-Fall.

Indiana Rocketry launches outside of Lafayette, In. This group is mostly made up of the "local" HPR folks.

These groups are made up of MY peers. They are all the kind of people that help others and do not look down on people flying models with a lower power rating, and all respect and admire a well made model. At all three clubs, kids are not only welcome, but encouraged.
We understand this is the future of our hobby.

Are you allowed to talk about anything except rocketry on the field? If so, he will probably not be interested... :D

Bill

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Are you allowed to talk about anything except rocketry on the field? If so, he will probably not be interested... :D

Bill
You're wicked. WICKED, I say! :D

Marc_G
10-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Interesting thread; thanks guys.

I'm also an "Indianapolis metro area" guy, up on the north side in Carmel. I've been hoping to hook up with some folks for LPR & MPR without having to drive up to Muncie or Lafayette.

I do LPR (and once in a while E, in calm winds) at West Park in Carmel. Any "north siders" nearby? I'm trying to find a local spot with better recovery prospects. Not interested in doing HPR so there ought to be a way to get something nearby to handle at least light mid power launches, other than the park.

Feel free to PM me here or on TRF.

Thanks!

Marc

MarkB.
10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Alrighty,

I'll ask. Why is this thread in this sub-forum? Perhaps Mission Control might be better?

evil ed
10-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Don't look at me- I didn't start it.........

gpoehlein
10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
DANG!
Thanx for the reminder!!!
I'm busy on the 13th but free (as of now) in the 14th! The only thing that could get in the way is if AMOREA hosts a group of Cub Scouts on that day (about 60 potential future rocketteers, all with rocket questions- just like herding cats....)

Give me a confirmation for the 14th. If no Cub Scouts, and the "Check Engine" light doesn't come on, I'll be there!

Evil Ed

P.S.
Boiled Custard???

Yup - club meeting is the 14th this month. Meeting starts at 1:30 Eastern Time, and the sport launch will probably be about 3 or 3:30.

Sorry - no more Boiled Custard. The decision was made earlier this year to discontinue both that and Egg Nog at our plant. I'll miss the taste, but not the process!

Greg