PDA

View Full Version : Really Good Science Fiction Novels

JRThro
09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Since we keep talking about Poul Anderson's "Tau Zero" and a few other science fiction novels that we like, I realized that it might be a good idea to create a thread in which we can recommend books to the other guys on the forum.

So, I heartily recommend the following, with more to come, I'm sure:

S. M. Stirling, "Conquistador," about an alternate world in which the Americas were never settled by Europeans until a small group of American soldiers from our USA got access to it just after World War II. And that doesn't even begin to do the premise justice, much less the entire book.

S. M. Stirling, "Dies the Fire," about what happens when physical laws abruptly change so that nothing electrical/electronic works, and gunpowder/explosives no longer can be made to go boom.

Harry Turtledove has written so many alternate history novels and series that it's ridiculous, but I can recommend his "World War" series and its follow-ons, about what happens when the Earth is invaded by reptilian aliens during World War II. Turtledove has also written several entire series of novels in which the Confederacy won the Civl War, taking the consequences of that victory through the succeeding decades all the way up to and including World War II (so far).

So... what do you recommend?

falingtrea
09-22-2006, 09:24 AM
I like Lois McMasters Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga, David Brin's Uplift series, James White's Sector General series, and for the campiness EE "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series.

sandman
09-22-2006, 11:16 AM
All of Larry Niven's RingWorld series.

And all of Arthur Clarks Rama series.

For classic old Sci Fi.

"When Workds Collide" and the second half "After Worlds Collide" by Philip Gordon (1932)

The Space Ark from the movie "When Worlds Collide" is an absolute classic!

stefanj
09-22-2006, 11:52 AM
My tastes have changed several times through the years, from space opera to military SF to cyberpunk to . . . almost nothing.

I'd have to think a bit about recommendations. Stuff I've enjoyed in the past seems trivial or stupid now.

A couple or perennials: Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon, The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. Oh, and Gateway by Frederick Pohl.

Right now I'm reading Stephenson's The Confusion , a historical novel with SFish and humorous touches.

I have in my reading queue some books by various British "new space opera" authors. Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds and the like.

DeanHFox
09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
OK, not trying to sound like a suck-up, here, but anything I've read by G. Harry Stine (aka "Lee Correy") is a pretty good read (i.e. "Starship Through Space", "Rocket Man", etc.). Yeah, yeah, I know G. Harry founded the NAR, but his fiction (especially some of his short fiction) is enjoyable, coming as it does from the "pulp SF era". :)

Almost anything by Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov...these guys were giants in the genre, and if you haven't read their collective works, shame on you. :p

Some more "modern/recent" authors I really enjoy are James P. Hogan, Greg Benford, David Brin, Barry Longyear, Allen Steele, Ben Bova...and I can't leave out John Varley. :)

I know I've left out dozens of great authors. It's a great time to be a Sci-Fi reader. Go buy a few books and enjoy 'em while the glue or paint is drying on those kits we're all building this winter. :D

PaulK
09-22-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't read much sci-fi, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading novels by Clifford D. Simak. Its been such a long time since I've read him, I'm not sure which I'd recommend. "City" and "Way Station" come to mind. He wrote a great short story called "The Big Frontyard" that won a hugo award if I recall. Hmm, I may just go back and re-read some of these. :)

snaquin
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I really enjoyed Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis.

My father was a big fan of Sci-Fi and was a member of Doubleday a long time back and had many hardbound Sci-Fi books that I enjoyed. He had a large hardbound Twilight Zone book with a bunch of the short stories and just about everything by Isaic Asimov. I really liked the Foundation Trilogy and The Gods Themselves.

Dune by Frank Hebert is another favorite.

There was another favorite one I remember checking out of the library a bunch of times as a kid, Planet of the Voles.

stefanj
09-23-2006, 12:11 AM
SF by a former rocketeer:

Mars Crossing by Geoff Landis.

A non-romantic, gritty, realistic survival story.

JRThro
09-23-2006, 08:44 AM
All of Larry Niven's RingWorld series.

And all of Arthur Clarks Rama series.

In fact, *everything* by Larry Niven or Arthur C. Clarke. Also everything by Larry Niven and any of his several collaborators (Pournelle, Stephen Barnes, etc.).

Not to mention the "Snow Queen" books by Joan D. Vinge, and anything I've ever read by Vernor Vinge, including his current one, "Rainbows End"

And yes, definitely John Varley.

brianc
09-23-2006, 11:36 AM
My tastes tend towards what I call Science FACTion, but
for pure fun, I seem to remember enjoying the Stainless Steel
Rat series back in the early 1980's. :)

falingtrea
09-23-2006, 10:25 PM
If you want to read a very funny series, look for the Hoka novels by Poul Anderson and Gordon R. Dickson. They are a hoot!!

Jeff Walther
10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
OK, not trying to sound like a suck-up, here, but anything I've read by G. Harry Stine

He had a column in the periodical "Analog: Science Fiction/Science Fact" up until shortly before his death. Almost always an interesting read.

Almost anything by Heinlein,

This being YORF one must specifically mention "Rocketship Gallileo" in which three teens are building their own model rockets and blowing them up on the pad...

marslndr
10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Anything by Niven before 2000. Clarke before 1990, Asimov after 1970. Kuttner anything.

Shreadvector
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Geoffrey Landis.

http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/

http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/monarchcrew.jpg
Spot the modroc folks.

JRThro
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
It's pretty cool that this thread has popped up again. Jeff Walther, thanks for that!

I'm currently reading "Juggler of Worlds (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=juggler+of+worlds&x=0&y=0)," by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner. It details some of the events happening around 200 years before the discovery of the Ringworld, and includes familiar characters such as Nessus, Beowulf Schaeffer, and Sigmund Ausfaller. I'm enjoying it.

There's also "Fleet of Worlds," which I think "Juggler of Worlds" is the sequel to but which I haven't read. There's a link to it on the same amazon.com page as the "Juggler of Worlds" link above.

Also, John Scalzi has gotten great reviews, and he has a great blog at scalzi.com/whatever, but I haven't read any of his novels.

F_O_G
10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Although they are more like thrillers than Sci Fi I like Frank Perretti's Monster, in which a scientist experimental "missing link" escapes and terrorizes these bigfoots of whom have kidnapped a hiker, and Nightmare Academy, in which the government creates a brainwashing academy for runaways.

DeanHFox
10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
He had a column in the periodical "Analog: Science Fiction/Science Fact" up until shortly before his death. Almost always an interesting read.

This being YORF one must specifically mention "Rocketship Gallileo" in which three teens are building their own model rockets and blowing them up on the pad...I was fortunate enough to land one of these before they went out of production: http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/GalileoAtomicMoonRocketCataloguePage.htm

Scott (the designer of the kit) did a great job on it. I've been thinking it would be a great subject for PemTech...he seems to do a great job with the "50's Retro Sci-Fi Look" vehicles. :)

luke strawwalker
10-11-2008, 03:18 AM
Since we keep talking about Poul Anderson's "Tau Zero" and a few other science fiction novels that we like, I realized that it might be a good idea to create a thread in which we can recommend books to the other guys on the forum.

So, I heartily recommend the following, with more to come, I'm sure:

S. M. Stirling, "Conquistador," about an alternate world in which the Americas were never settled by Europeans until a small group of American soldiers from our USA got access to it just after World War II. And that doesn't even begin to do the premise justice, much less the entire book.

S. M. Stirling, "Dies the Fire," about what happens when physical laws abruptly change so that nothing electrical/electronic works, and gunpowder/explosives no longer can be made to go boom.

Harry Turtledove has written so many alternate history novels and series that it's ridiculous, but I can recommend his "World War" series and its follow-ons, about what happens when the Earth is invaded by reptilian aliens during World War II. Turtledove has also written several entire series of novels in which the Confederacy won the Civl War, taking the consequences of that victory through the succeeding decades all the way up to and including World War II (so far).

So... what do you recommend?

I'm a BIG fan of Turtledove... If you've never read it, read "Ruled Britannia" (William Shakespeare is recruited to write a play to stir resistance to Spanish rule after the Spanish invade and overrun England after the Battle of Trafalgar goes the other way) and "In the Presence of Mine Enemies" (a story about a group of Jewish survivors living in Berlin, having survived using falsified records and in constant danger of being discovered by the Nazi government which won WWII and then subjugated the United States in the 50's, which now rules the world, except for the Japanese Empire, their mortal enemy)

Both are OUTSTANDING books! I've also recently finished and highly recommend "Days of Infamy", where the Japanese decide to follow up their attack on Pearl Harbor with a full on invasion of Hawaii, which succeeds and completely paralyzes the US response in the Pacific after thwarting a US counterinvasion. I can't wait for part 2.

His series on the Confederates winning the Civil War, then clashing with the humiliated United States again 20 years later, and going through the horrors of trench warfare and chemical warfare on US and Confederate soil in World War I, and then the rise of the Hitleresque "Jake Featherston" and his Nazi-like 'Freedom Party' in the Confederate depression after WWI, only to start WWII on this continent as a clash between the Confederacy and US, while the Kaiser fights Churchill and Mosely in England, with it's rather interesting turns at the last (still waiting to read 'In at the Death' which ends up with Confederate V-2's and later a Confederate atomic bomb exploding on US soil, and the US counterattacks with nuclear weapons, along with the nuclear exchanges between the German Empire, France, and England before the Kaiser wins again) Theres at least six books in the series, but they are VERY good but quite dark and sometimes make you think what a hellish world would have been....

But VERY good books IMHO! OL JR :)

gpoehlein
10-11-2008, 03:33 AM
This is tipping over into the fantasy side, but I've been reading Simon Green's "Nightside" series - I'm enjoying it a lot.

Another couple of SF writers to check out are Tim Zahn and Alan Steele. Both write good solid SF. Lots of fun.

Greg

Jeff Walther
10-11-2008, 09:46 AM
If you like hard-ish scifi you will probably enjoy Stephen Baxter. He's written some fascinating and universe spanning books. I don't think I'll give too much away by stating that almost every book he's written ends with the heat death of the universe.

He's hard to beat for engaging one's sense-'a-wonda'

Eagle3
10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Ah, so many good authors remembered. :) I'd also recommend Frederick Pohl's Gateway books, Gordon R. Dickson's Childe Cycle, Fred Saberhagen's Berserker series, and my all time favorite, John Carter of Mars series from Edgar Rice Burroughs.

JRThro
10-13-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm a BIG fan of Turtledove... If you've never read it, read "Ruled Britannia" (William Shakespeare is recruited to write a play to stir resistance to Spanish rule after the Spanish invade and overrun England after the Battle of Trafalgar goes the other way) and "In the Presence of Mine Enemies" (a story about a group of Jewish survivors living in Berlin, having survived using falsified records and in constant danger of being discovered by the Nazi government which won WWII and then subjugated the United States in the 50's, which now rules the world, except for the Japanese Empire, their mortal enemy)

Both are OUTSTANDING books! I've also recently finished and highly recommend "Days of Infamy", where the Japanese decide to follow up their attack on Pearl Harbor with a full on invasion of Hawaii, which succeeds and completely paralyzes the US response in the Pacific after thwarting a US counterinvasion. I can't wait for part 2.

His series on the Confederates winning the Civil War, then clashing with the humiliated United States again 20 years later, and going through the horrors of trench warfare and chemical warfare on US and Confederate soil in World War I, and then the rise of the Hitleresque "Jake Featherston" and his Nazi-like 'Freedom Party' in the Confederate depression after WWI, only to start WWII on this continent as a clash between the Confederacy and US, while the Kaiser fights Churchill and Mosely in England, with it's rather interesting turns at the last (still waiting to read 'In at the Death' which ends up with Confederate V-2's and later a Confederate atomic bomb exploding on US soil, and the US counterattacks with nuclear weapons, along with the nuclear exchanges between the German Empire, France, and England before the Kaiser wins again) Theres at least six books in the series, but they are VERY good but quite dark and sometimes make you think what a hellish world would have been....

But VERY good books IMHO! OL JR :)
I have read "Ruled Brittania," and I really enjoyed it. I don't think you mean the Battle of Trafalgar, since that was in 1805 and the Spanish Armada's attack on England was in 1588.

As far as this series goes, I haven't read the last three of the "Settling Accounts" books, including "In at the Death." IIRC, in that alternate history WWI, the Kaiser and the US were allies, while the British and the Confederacy were allies.

F_O_G
10-13-2008, 09:54 AM
And here I thought guys didn't read that much :D

Peartree
10-13-2008, 06:57 PM
And here I thought guys didn't read that much :D

You have no idea how much I *had* to read while studying for my master's degree. It's a good thing that I like to read and that I'm a pretty fast reader.

Another good thing (depending on your point of view) is that to do my job well, I have to continue to read. Reading on the clock is considered to be doing work as long as I don't do it all the time. :D

Tau Zero
10-13-2008, 11:14 PM
John Scalzi has gotten great reviews, and he has a great blog at scalzi.com/whatever, but I haven't read any of his novels.This one guy I know (http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1Z7NV6NAKH5IC/ref=cm_cr_auth/102-3829736-5905732?%5Fencoding=UTF8) :rolleyes: read 3 of Scalzi's novels last year.

"Zoe's Tale" is part 4 in the series, but the aforementioned individual hasn't read it yet. :o

Cheers,

JRThro
10-14-2008, 08:00 AM
I saw just yesterday that Ridley Scott is planning to make a movie of Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War." I look forward to seeing that one, and I highly recommend the book!

luke strawwalker
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I have read "Ruled Brittania," and I really enjoyed it. I don't think you mean the Battle of Trafalgar, since that was in 1805 and the Spanish Armada's attack on England was in 1588.

As far as this series goes, I haven't read the last three of the "Settling Accounts" books, including "In at the Death." IIRC, in that alternate history WWI, the Kaiser and the US were allies, while the British and the Confederacy were allies.

My bad... brain fart... OL JR :)

Rustee
10-16-2008, 08:57 PM
When I used to be heavy into my hobbies in the late '70's I would also buy a new Sci-Fi book every week. What happened to my brain? I guess that's back when you had to make your own fun...Clifford D. Simak,Arthur C.Clarke,J.O.Jeppson-Try The Knight of the Swords series by Michael Moorcock,or Skullface by Robert E. Howard,it'll make your hair stand on end. My brother got me that one after I cut my fingers off on a table saw.