PDA

View Full Version : "C.ock" isn't vulgar here...

blackshire
10-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Can the word "c.ock" be removed from YORF's list of "dirty words" that the system automatically expunges? (I deliberately added a period to the word to evade that feature.)

I am, of course, aware of its sexual meaning, but it is also a commonly-used technical term in model rocketry. The words "weatherc.ock," "c.ock" (short for "weatherc.ock"), and "shuttlec.ock" (referring to the Estes "Birdie" kit and its many clones, as well as to "shuttlec.ock stability" of rockets that have conical stabilizers) get used a lot on YORF. To give but a single example:

Just tonight I used the word "shuttlec.ock" to describe the stability of a rotor-equipped re-entry vehicle whose rotor blades would fold up above the capsule to provide aerodynamic stability during re-entry, in the manner of a shuttlec.ock's feathers. Also:

If G. Harry Stine, Vern Estes, and Lee Piester (along with many other rocket kit manufacturers as well as writers in the field of model rocketry) considered those words safe for pre-pubescent children to read in their various publications and printed matter (in a *far* less sexually-permissive culture, let's remember), I see no reason why these words should be forbidden on "Ye Olde Rocket Forum" today.

Rex R
10-08-2012, 03:10 AM
I do find it a triffle amusing that the name of this sub-forum is considered vulgar(weather-c.ocked)...there is also that place where the pilots do their job of flying aircraft :). I will second the motion to modify the list of words that shall not be uttered(typed).
rex

Ltvscout
10-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I do find it a triffle amusing that the name of this sub-forum is considered vulgar(weather-c.ocked)...there is also that place where the pilots do their job of flying aircraft :). I will second the motion to modify the list of words that shall not be uttered(typed).
rex
Fixed!

Jerry Irvine
10-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Fixed!You know what's odd about this website and site owner? They listen to common sense and actually take action.

Jerry

ghrocketman
10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Scott !

tbzep
10-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Testing: South Carolina Gamecocks

jetlag
10-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Testing: South Carolina Gamecocks

Beat me to it, Tim!

Sure was fun abusing those Georgia bullpuppies this past weekend ! For the 3rd year in a row!

Allen

tbzep
10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Beat me to it, Tim!

Sure was fun abusing those Georgia bullpuppies this past weekend ! For the 3rd year in a row!

Allen

I was pulling for them just because I'd like to see a different team than Georgia or Florida come out on top of the East, since Tennessee isn't going to do it. I've even mellowed out when it comes to the old ball coach. At one time, I couldn't stand him! :)

It's still a little hard to root for the Gamecocks in general, though. My nephew played baseball for UT in 2000 and 2001 and went to the College World Series. The Cocks were a pretty tough and arrogant team back then in baseball. However, I'll still root for them and any other SEC team when playing out of our conference, no matter what the sport.

(Looks like the test is a success.) :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Windcock! Windcock! Windcock!
:D :D :D

Brain
10-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I think it's going a tad overboard to edit any word with the letters c-o-c-k in it.
What about stuff like 'sucker holes'? Where does it stop?

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks, Scott !
:cool: :cool:

bernomatic
10-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Yes thank you Scott.

Now let's take a second to pledge that anyone taking advantage of Scott's good will will be keel hauled, drawn and quartered and any other torture we can come up with.

UPscaler
10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
rex
The little room at the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now...

Braden

jspitza
10-08-2012, 04:55 PM
is what Scott should receive for His service to this website. This also includes sides and extra crispy too.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-08-2012, 05:22 PM
is what Scott should receive for His service to this website. This also includes sides and extra crispy too.
And beer. McCrate! Where are you when we need you? :D

blackshire
10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Fixed!Thank you very much, Scott!

luke strawwalker
10-09-2012, 12:48 AM
You know what's odd about this website and site owner? They listen to common sense and actually take action.

Jerry

Refreshing ain't it??

Didn't even require a meeting of the State Commissars of the Supreme Council of Ministers of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Communist Party of the Holy Moderators in their Holy of Holies... (peace be upon them, Dear Beloved Leaders that they are!) :D

Just "bam, done!"

I like that! :)

Later! OL JR :)