PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Estes Sandhawk/Terrier Sandhawk

Palm_Tree
09-30-2006, 08:37 AM
I am hoping someone can help me with the following: Does the Estes Terrier Sandhawk contain the exact same "SandhawK" as packaged in the Estes Sandhawk (#k-51)? I know that the Terrier Sandhawk includes an additional attachment on which the Sandhawk appears to rest on. I just want to confirm that the top "Sandhawk part" is the same as the original Sandhawk or not. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

sandman
09-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, it is the same.

I believe it includes a parachute for the "upper stage" but you probably know this isn't designed to stage.

You can fly the "Sandhawk" by itself or mount it on the booster and fly it that way.

Initiator001
09-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I built one 10-12 years ago and the Sandhawk is the same parts as the K-51/1251 model.

The paint scheme for this Sandhawk round with the booster is incorrect. Peter Alway published the correct paint scheme in one of his publications which is how I painted mine.

I, also, replaced the plastic antennae with small diameter steel wire. It looks more 'scale'.

Bob

sandman
09-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I, also, replaced the plastic antennae with small diameter steel wire. It looks more 'scale'.

Bob

I did the same thing on an upscale (BT-60) version.

I bent and glued (epoxy) the wire to match the plastic parts then I slid in a section of BT-60 coupler to firmly hold the wire in place.

Just be careful! The ends of the wires are sharp. :eek:

Ya don't wanna put yer eye out! :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
09-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes, it is the same.

I believe it includes a parachute for the "upper stage" but you probably know this isn't designed to stage.

You can fly the "Sandhawk" by itself or mount it on the booster and fly it that way.
That reminds me. I have a T-S that's been converted to fly two-stage. I just put the plans for how to do this on http://www.rocketshoppe.com. A quick link is on the front page. It's in the Building Tips section.

If anyone knows the author of that conversion plan, please let me know so I can give them credit.

Eagle3
10-02-2006, 08:04 AM
That reminds me. I have a T-S that's been converted to fly two-stage. I just put the plans for how to do this on http://www.rocketshoppe.com. A quick link is on the front page. It's in the Building Tips section.

If anyone knows the author of that conversion plan, please let me know so I can give them credit.

This is Bob Wierbse's conversion. The pages are out of order. If you scroll down you'll see his name on the real page 1.

Edit OBTW - with Timers as cheap and reliable as they are these days I wouldn't recommend mercury switch/flash bulb systems. even though I used them a lot. For them to be reliable you need to use thermalite and who wants that hassle if you can easly avoid it. Also, flashbulbs are getting harder to find and will go off if you look at them wrong. ;)

Ltvscout
10-02-2006, 08:16 AM
This is Bob Wierbse's conversion. The pages are out of order. If you scroll down you'll see his name on the real page 1.

Edit OBTW - with Timers as cheap and reliable as they are these days I wouldn't recommend mercury switch/flash bulb systems. even though I used them a lot. For them to be reliable you need to use thermalite and who wants that hassle if you can easly avoid it. Also, flashbulbs are getting harder to find and will go off if you look at them wrong. ;)
Thanks, Buzz. I thought it looked similar to his Nike-Ajax 2-stage conversion that I already had online. ;)

Ltvscout
10-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I've "fixed" the PDF file so the pages are now in the correct order.

Eagle3
11-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Does anyone have a color photo or scan of a real Terrier Sandhawk?

Ltvscout
11-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Does anyone have a color photo or scan of a real Terrier Sandhawk?
If no one here has one send out a message on the Scaleroc list.

Chas Russell
11-10-2006, 10:07 AM
This is a diferent round than the Estes kit. Just happened to have it on my work computer.

Chas

Edit: The source of the photo was R.S. Barker's Scale-Rocketry website. It is captioned as: Kauai (Hawaii) Test Facility, Pad 12 May 14, 1974 x-ray experiment flight. I knew I have saved it from somewhere and I want to give proper credit to Mr. Barker.

Eagle3
11-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks Chas! I don't think the Estes color scheme matches a real Terrier Sandhawk round.

Eagle3
11-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Edit: The source of the photo was R.S. Barker's Scale-Rocketry website. It is captioned as: Kauai (Hawaii) Test Facility, Pad 12 May 14, 1974 x-ray experiment flight. I knew I have saved it from somewhere and I want to give proper credit to Mr. Barker.

http://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id13.htm

Ltvscout
11-10-2006, 01:22 PM
http://scale-rocketry.tripod.com/id13.htm
It looks like there's dingleberries on the ends of the antenna's on the Sandhawk.

Chas Russell
11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
<It looks like there's dingleberries on the ends of the antenna's on the Sandhawk.>

Most likely protective rubber balls to protect the antennas and ground crew. I would imagine that they would leave the party pretty early in the boost.

<Thanks Chas! I don't think the Estes color scheme matches a real Terrier Sandhawk round.>

It is close to the BT-3 Terrier-Sandhawk. I think I have a couple of slides I took of the 8x10 glossies with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back - but, I digress. Mike Poss gathered the data in the late '60s and had a model for scale at NARAM-11. I must admit that I don't have the Estes kit so I can not make a close comparison. Maybe someday it will become available.

Chas