PDA

View Full Version : Zimcor VIPER Sounding Rocket

snaquin
10-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have any scale data on this rocket?

About 12 years ago Missile Works initially released a 3.1" x 70" version of this rocket as a .480 scale kit with dual deployment and later released a smaller 2.2" x 51.7" version kit. These kits had phenolic airframes and G-10 fins and were part of an exclusive line of scale missiles and rockets kitted by PML for sale by Missile Works. Some of you Tripoli guys may remember the ads in the High Power Rocketry magazines and on RP referencing these kits although these were only available for a short time.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/513/92/#axzz2AALWMkTv

There is a reference to Zimcor, USA on Astronautix but nothing really here

http://www.astronautix.com/mfrs/zimcor.htm

I have the 2.2" dia. kit parts and I'm interested in the paint scheme on how to finish the model and couldn't find much of anything in Google searches for this rocket or ZIMCOR. At one time Jim hosted the instructions on his ftp site and I've written him via email to see if he still has those but have not heard back from him yet.

One of the ads stated that Tango Papa did decals for the kits but I'm not sure if this rocket had decals ..... I'll write Tom to see what he knows.

Any accurate information would be greatly appreciated. If there is a book available like ROTW that you know contains information on this model, please advise and I'll make a book purchase. I don't have much interest in scale models but I would like to finish this model correctly.

Thanks!

Chas Russell
10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Steve,
There was an earlier inquiry about the Viper over on TRF. I could not find the thread, but I had scanned and posted two pages from the August 1973 issue of the NAR's Model Rocketeer magazine. My issue has been in a three ring binder and has the punched holes, but I will try to scan it again. I apparently had deleted the previous scans.

Chas

Chas Russell
10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
The original scans are too large, so I attached thumbnails.
Steve, PM me if you want me to e-mail you the bigger scans.

Chas

snaquin
10-24-2012, 08:09 PM
The original scans are too large, so I attached thumbnails.
Steve, PM me if you want me to e-mail you the bigger scans.

Chas

Chas,

I really appreciate the post. I just sent you a PM with my email address to obtain your original scans so I can print at the office on 11x17 paper for reference when I get to the point of finishing the model.

I was really surprised when looking for information on the VIPER how little information was obtainable online.

Take care & thanks again!

:)

blackshire
10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Try looking up this Viper sounding rocket under "Zimney Corporation"--that is how it is listed in Peter Alway's book "Scale Bash."

Does anyone have any scale data on this rocket?

About 12 years ago Missile Works initially released a 3.1" x 70" version of this rocket as a .480 scale kit with dual deployment and later released a smaller 2.2" x 51.7" version kit. These kits had phenolic airframes and G-10 fins and were part of an exclusive line of scale missiles and rockets kitted by PML for sale by Missile Works. Some of you Tripoli guys may remember the ads in the High Power Rocketry magazines and on RP referencing these kits although these were only available for a short time.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/513/92/#axzz2AALWMkTv

There is a reference to Zimcor, USA on Astronautix but nothing really here

http://www.astronautix.com/mfrs/zimcor.htm

I have the 2.2" dia. kit parts and I'm interested in the paint scheme on how to finish the model and couldn't find much of anything in Google searches for this rocket or ZIMCOR. At one time Jim hosted the instructions on his ftp site and I've written him via email to see if he still has those but have not heard back from him yet.

One of the ads stated that Tango Papa did decals for the kits but I'm not sure if this rocket had decals ..... I'll write Tom to see what he knows.

Any accurate information would be greatly appreciated. If there is a book available like ROTW that you know contains information on this model, please advise and I'll make a book purchase. I don't have much interest in scale models but I would like to finish this model correctly.

Thanks!