PDA

View Full Version : Rail buttons vs. launch lugs... both?

Kimble29
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Some of the kits I'm interested in only come with rail buttons. Since I don't own a launch pad that uses a rail, I normally just buy kits with launch lugs. But why not just put both on a rocket? If the BT is slotted or has a spot for button attachment would it be alright just to add some launch lugs on the other side so the rocket could be launched using a rail or a rod? I have to believe that this is not an uncommon practice, I just have not tried it yet. Any one have any advice to impart?

Rex R
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
nothing to say that you can't put both on, normally one would do this on rockets up to 'G' impulse motors...(I did get a kit that came with 3/8" lugs, I put rail guides on it).
rex

chadrog
10-30-2012, 05:08 PM
There's no problem at all in doing this. I have a couple set up that way, mainly to give me another pad option at busy launches.

Doug Sams
10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
nothing to say that you can't put both on, normally one would do this on rockets up to 'G' impulse motors... I can see doing both, but I'm thinking more in the G to J range. I've used 1/2" rods on I motors (in conjunction with reinforced lugs).

(I did get a kit that came with 3/8" lugs, I put rail guides on it). 3/8" is an odd ball size. Lots of clubs won't have that size rod, so rail buttons are the better solution.

In my experience with rods, avoid the threes. 3/16" is pretty common but still not as common as 1/8" and 1/4". 3/8" is rare. And 3/4" is extremely rare. So, if you're attending club launches, you may have trouble finding rods in these sizes. (FWIW, I have seen 1" rods. But I'll use rail guides for anything too big for a 1/2" rod.)

In model rockets, using two lugs with some space between them, say 12", you can readily use 1/4" lugs on a 3/16" rod. The point is that, with two 1/4" lugs, you can fly it off a 3/16" rod just as easily as a 1/4" rod, so a rocket with 1/4" lugs is much more flexible as far as equipment goes.

Doug

BrianURocket
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
On some of my large E-G range rockets, I install both 1/4" lugs and 1010 rail buttons.

Kimble29
10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the responses! I figured this was something a lot of you guys have done before. I do have a 6 ft 1/4" rod and also a 5 ft 1/4" rod for the larger rockets. I have not quite gotten to the point of Hi Power just yet. Still fiddling around in that mid-power motor area. We do have a tripoli club here in town and I know I can go out and launch with them once I do step up into a high power motor rocket. Until then, anything that'll fly on a G but has rail buttons I just wanted to be able to launch myself.

Raygun
10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
But why not just put both on a rocket?

Drag. it increases with impulse category proportionally. I just costs more per gram to go a certain altitude. If it just for sport it doesnt matter.