PDA

View Full Version : GO1R-sm & GO2R-sm rockets

blackshire
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Hello All,

Generation Orbit (see: www.generationorbit.com ) has new illustrations of their two air-launched rockets. On their media page (see: http://www.generationorbit.com/index.php/media/image-gallery/92-go1r-sm *and* the attached images below), they have illustrations of their GO1R-sm, a short (single-stage) rocket for carrying 15 kg - 100 kg payloads on suborbital trajectories. Also illustrated is their GO2R-sm, a two- or three-stage microsat launch vehicle (employing the GO1R-sm as its first stage), which is intended to place 20 kg - 30 kg satellites into Low Earth Orbit. Sport Scale models of the GO1R-sm and the GO2R-sm could use BT-5 body tubes and the plastic BT-5 nose cones that are used in the Estes Mosquito kits.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Brain
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Good stuff! I for one appreciate when you make these posts.

Very attractive looks, as well. They'd make for a neat and simple build, and you might almost get away without decals (if'n yer good at maskin' stuff off).

blackshire
11-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Good stuff! I for one appreciate when you make these posts.Thank you. It is gratifying to see obscure vehicles I've dug up data on get depicted. One day I came across a review of a "kit-bashed" Javelin III scale model on Essence's Model Rocketry Reviews. I had gotten the scale data (from a USAF sounding rocket experimenter who had worked with Javelin IIIs) that Peter Alway used to create the drawing that the model builder used. (Models of the GO1R-sm and GO2R-sm could be "kit-bashed" from Estes "Big Bertha" or Quest "Big Betty" rocket kits.) Also:Very attractive looks, as well. They'd make for a neat and simple build, and you might almost get away without decals (if'n yer good at maskin' stuff off).Indeed--the Generation Orbit GO1R-sm and GO2R-sm are ideal scale subjects for the following four reasons:

[1] They *look* like classic rockets, not having protruding "fiddly bits" to interfere with their clean lines.

[2] Having rounded noses and unswept clipped delta fins, their shapes would produce low drag at model rocket airspeeds, so models of them would fly well even on low-impulse motors.

[3] Having fins that do *not* protrude behind the rear edges of their bodies, models of them would be unlikely to suffer fin damage on landing.

[4] Their decor schemes are very eye-catching and different, yet not too "busy" (over-laden with details, that is--sometimes "less is more"). They remind me of Native American geometric bead patterns that I've seen on belts and jackets. I think they would, as you said, lend themselves to being created by masking. It might even be practical to make (rather weakly) self-adhesive roll pattern "masking templates" that could be applied to the models with perfect alignment by using Gus' suggested method (see: http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=10456 ) for accurately applying the body tube wrap decals to the first-generation SpaceX Falcon 9 models.