PDA

View Full Version : Rockets in the Afternoon

Solomoriah
10-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I launched a few with my daughter and my neighbor's son on Sunday the 8th. The neighbors are blessed with a large, tree-less back yard; my yard is big but has a bunch of trees. Just a few of my old rockets, refurbed, and a couple of beginner rockets we all put together recently. My old Estes Sprint with a parachute rather than a streamer, my old Estes Alpha with a replacement parachute, a new Quest Sprint, stone stock, my daughter's Skywriter, and the neighbor kid's Quest Flash. Sorry, no pictures. It was a lot of fun... I let the kids push the button, it gives them a real kick.

I ran into a problem with the Quest rockets... the streamers don't slow them down much. Both my Sprint and the neighbor kid's Flash broke off a fin on landing. Of course, they were easily repaired, but I'm open to suggestions regarding improved recovery for both.

The Alpha had a parachute originally, but over 20 years later it was pretty nasty; so I made one from scratch, starting with an aluminized mylar balloon ($1.00 at the local dollar store) and I have material from the same balloon to make another. Those mylar balloons curl badly at the edges, but I used a strip of magic transparent tape along the edges before attaching the shroud lines (size 10 crochet thread courtesy of my wife) and it worked fantastic. Best thing is that it is incredibly visible, though not nearly as shiny looking when coming down as I expected; looks more like a black dot at a distance.

Likewise the Estes Sprint had a streamer, but it was nasty also; I borrowed a parachute from an unfinished Baby Bertha (got some snap swivels on discount at ShopKo) and it worked fine. I don't have enough of a range to put a C6-5 into the Sprint... doubt I'd ever see it again. It went up twice, but the second time one fin was broken... can't figure it out, since the neighbor kid caught it by the shock cord both times without it hitting the ground.

I think I'm going to fit the Baby Bertha with a mylar chute rather than the one it came with. I have this nice silver paint that looks good on the model but is hard to see in the air... the highly visible chute will help make up for that. The balloon material is bulkier than the normal chute plastic, so the bigger body tube is a plus when using it.

And the Skywriter ended up in the tree of the neighbor's neighbor... :D I got it down with a ladder and an extension pole fitted with a hook. We used to use that combination to put Christmas lights on our spruce, but it got too tall. I was sure glad I kept the pole though.

Anyway, a good time was had by all. I'm going to have to improve my craftsmanship so I won't be embarrassed to take pictures to post...

barone
10-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Mylar parachute or steamers.......I use the emergency thermal blankets available in the sporting goods section at Walmart. Thin, light and visible. Plenty of material to make what you want.

Sounds like you had a blast. Keep on flying!

Don
NAR 53455

CPMcGraw
10-10-2006, 05:03 PM
...I ran into a problem with the Quest rockets... the streamers don't slow them down much. Both my Sprint and the neighbor kid's Flash broke off a fin on landing. Of course, they were easily repaired, but I'm open to suggestions regarding improved recovery for both...

Check at your local Lowes or Home Depot for Day-Glo Orange flourescent safety "police line" tape. I bought a roll of over 300' of the 2" wide material for just a few dollars. It's very thin and perfect for streamers, probably even better for this job than the stuff you get with Estes or Quest. Cut a 20" length of this roll and attach your leader line to one end. I use a piece of masking tape applied to either side, with the line passing through several times to make the attachment. The increased area will slow down the descent rate just right.

Solomoriah
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Police tape and emergency blankets... you guys are really helping me be cheap... :D

It turned colder here Monday, and it's gotten progressively colder since. Looks like Sunday may have been my last launch of the year.

Time to start the winter projects. I'm presently "bashing" a Flash plus some spare parts into a model I plan to call Cardinal (painted red of course). It'll be my first original model in over 20 years.

Green Dragon
10-13-2006, 07:57 AM
regarding streamers - I prefer good old crepe streamers to the plastic stuff any day .

the currugations help those to produce more drag, and they seem less 'cheap' than the orange palstic ones, anyways .

Should be able to get a roll of 2" wide crepe streamer material at the same dollar store that had your balloons :)

~ AL

ghrocketman
10-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I like the Crepe Paper over plastic too....one benefit is that the stuff is flame-proof, which allows one to use less wadding than required with plastic-streamer or nylon (ALL I use)-chute equipped rockets.

CPMcGraw
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
I like the Crepe Paper over plastic too....one benefit is that the stuff is flame-proof, which allows one to use less wadding than required with plastic-streamer or nylon (ALL I use)-chute equipped rockets.

I never thought about that, but when you consider where crepe paper is typically used (birthday parties, other festivities where candles may be burned...) it makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up, GHR. I need to try some of this out myself...

ghrocketman
10-13-2006, 12:44 PM
One can use crepe-paper streamer as a type of "permanent" wadding on a parachute-equipped rocket if you tie say a 30" length of streamer to the middle of the shock-cord below the chute. pack the shock-cord, streamer, then chute into the body tube. Make sure the streamer is NOT long enough to reach the shroud lines of the 'chute to prevent entanglement.
Some brands of Crepe-paper streamer are MUCH more flame resistant than others. A bit of experimentation is required.

An added benefit of use of this recovery method is this in most cases allows one to use the next smaller size parachute, which results in shorter recovery walks.

Solomoriah
10-14-2006, 12:18 AM
I just bought 81 feet of crepe paper, more than an inch wide (didn't measure it but it's twice as wide as the streamers that I got with my last Quest rockets) for $0.48 at Wal-Mart. It is actually labeled as flame resistant. Also bought one of those mylar blankets, $1.96, and some round elastic for shock cord replacement for $0.81 (several yards, I don't recall offhand).

Cheap rocket parts, priceless...

:D

Zeus-cat
10-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I remember seeing a formula for determining the optimal length of a streamer. Unfortunately, it was so long ago I don't remember what it was. I think it had something to do with the length being 10 times the width of the stremaer material or something like that. If I find it I will post it.

Zeus-cat
10-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Good memory - for once. I was correct on the 10:1 ratio of lenght to width. See the link below for a 9 page report on streamers by Chris Kidwell (NAR 45225). The report goes on to say that you should use the widest streamer that will fir in the rocket.

http://www.narhams.org/library/rnd/StreamerDuration.pdf#search='model%20rocket%20streamer%20optimal'

Solomoriah
10-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, I guess I've wandered off my original topic...

Blew some more birthday money today; got some bright yellow and apple red paint, a sanding block (harder to find than I expected), an Estes Guardian on discount at Hobby Lobby (the only Estes rocket I saw that looked like fun to build), and a handful of wooden plaques which I use to make rocket stands. Still have some money left.

You guys have pointed me to cheap streamers and parachute material. So where, other than the regular rocket kit companies, can I get Kevlar cord?