PDA

View Full Version : Frog Tape ?

sbs0011
01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Well this might be a repeat subject and im sorry if it is!
But i saw a advertisement on tv tonight and was wondering if anyone has used it for their rockets?

It is FROG TAPE! - The green version is for everyday use it seals out any bleed under the tape!
- The yellow version is for freshley painted surfaces or delicate surfaces!

Well it is the first time i have seen it and was wondering if any of you had seen it or have used it in the past and what you have thought about it! :)

luke strawwalker
01-28-2013, 11:58 PM
I use the regular blue painter's tape... IIRC Frog tape's claim to fame is a "sealing strip" that "reacts with the paint to seal the edges" and thus produce a 'razor sharp paint line' after detaping...

Thing is, this chemical is designed to react with LATEX paints (IIRC) so thus is of no use with enamels or lacquers or other oil-based paints typically used in rocketry (unless you're airbrushing water-based acrylics, then it'd probably work since they're water based like latex).

What's kept me from trying it is the PRICE-- they're AWFULLY proud of that stuff pricewise... so I'll stick with the regular blue painters tape, medium/light tack, preferably.

If you have MINUTE DETAILS or intricate patterns you want taped and want to make sure you don't get any paint bleed, you can't go wrong with TAMIYA tape from the hobby shop or your favorite hobby vendor. It's EXPENSIVE, and comes in SMALL ROLLS, and it's usually very narrow, but it does and absolutely SUPERB job... When I did my Dr. Zooch 50th anniversary Friendship 7 Mercury Atlas build thread just about this time last year, I used this tape for the first time to tape off the "frost line" around the Atlas booster and its side pods and details... worked ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY... couldn't have asked for better.

I outlined the specific "paint edge" with Tamiya tape, and then "filled in" the larger areas by overlapping the Tamiya tape with blue painters tape and paper... worked like a champ...

Best of luck on your projects! OL JR :)

mycrofte
01-29-2013, 12:08 AM
I have used Frog Tape. It is a little better than blue tape.

I have found out they both work better if you can pre-paint/dry brush the edge with the color being painted over. That way, any bleeding will not show.

foamy
01-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Luke's post above, pretty much nails it.

I do use it (the lady bought me some on a whim) and it works well enough but it friggin' sticks to itself and other tape like nothing else. I don't use it for lines or edge masking. I use it to adhere other large masks like paper, plastic wrap and such.

If you're doing fine masking; yellow Tamiya tape is the Katz PJ's. No question. I keep several rolls of the different widths.

hcmbanjo
01-29-2013, 09:26 AM
After seeing this thread and one on TRF,
I just did a post on my blog about the Frog Tape.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot....frog-tape.html

The new March issue of Consumer Reports did some thorough testing.
Granted the testing was with latex house paint, but still pretty interesting results.

jeffyjeep
01-29-2013, 09:30 AM
The Vixen and I used delicate surface Frog Tape (yellow) over wallpaper to paint a ceiling a few weeks ago. The wallpaper is now ruined.

I've stated the following on the forum many times--but I don't mind: the Vixen and I use ONLY Scotch 3M blue painter's tape for delicate surfaces (orange core) for masking rockets for painting. You can rub the heck out of it and it won't take previous paint off, "fuzz" balsa, or delaminate body tubes.

Results don't lie!