PDA

View Full Version : Estes Altimeter

Initiator001
03-09-2013, 02:52 PM
The new Estes 2013 catalog features an altimeter unit on the back cover.

There has been some speculation about the unit and it's features.

I have been provided one of these unit to fly and test out.

The Estes Altimeter features a four-digit LCD readout, replaceable battery, anchor point, memory storage for up to ten flights and displays peak altitude in feet or meters (Max altitude is 10,000 feet or 3000 meters).

There is a seperate power switch and function button.

The unit has an overall length of 2 3/8", if the anchor flange is not included the length is 1 13/16" (44mm). The diameter is almost 18mm, a tight fit in BT-20 tubing but Centuri/Semroc ST-8 size tube should work fine. Weight is 14grams. Operating temperature is 41-100 degrees F.

I have flown the altimeter a several times and it's readings are within 2% of those recorded from 'other' altimeter units flown in the same rocket/motor combination.

The availablilty of Estes products in hobby shops and with a SRP of around $30-$35 should see many rocketeers flying these altimeters. :)

tbzep
03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Are its features more like the Jolly Logic Altimeter 1 or Altimeter 2?

http://www.jollylogic.com/

That's a pretty decent price for any altimeter, especially if it shows up at Hobby Lobby.

1778ppr
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
For that price I can see buying more than one. The size looks like a bonus also. It would be nice if it operated in colder temps. I fly all year round including the winter. Still a nice unit for $35.00 or less. When will these be available?

Royatl
03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Are its features more like the Jolly Logic Altimeter 1 or Altimeter 2?

http://www.jollylogic.com/

That's a pretty decent price for any altimeter, especially if it shows up at Hobby Lobby.

It is like the Altimeter One -- max altitude only -- except it can store up to ten flights, and has a replaceable instead of a rechargeable battery.

BEC
03-10-2013, 12:55 AM

Indeed. I hope to get my hands on a couple of these. And since Hobby Lobby is opening its third Seattle area store soon - MUCH closer to me than either of the others - that would work out nicely.

esoterikbass
04-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Any word yet on a release date for these things?

Ironnerd
04-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Yup. For that price, I'll get one.