PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the BG and RG posts

JumpJet
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Just wondering how many of you actually build rockets that have some form of glider recovery?

By the lack of posts here, it kind of tells me, not many. This is most likely the reason there aren't that many of them offered by kit manufactures. I love them myself.

Some modelers ask for old classic designs to be brought back out but when no one buys them they quickly go away; this of course goes for all designs not just glider types.

Has anybody flown the new Estes Manta glider yet? I've used this to get qualified B BG flights in when my purpose built models don't fly right.

John Boren

Jerry Irvine
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I did that in the 70's and 80's and the internet arrived in the 90's. Far more than half of life never made it to the internet.

jeffyjeep
03-10-2013, 10:56 PM
How about these?

jeffyjeep
03-10-2013, 11:02 PM
....and a couple of H.D. Swingers and a Crusader Swing Wing.

jeffyjeep
03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
....and an O.T. and a Semroc Space Shuttle.

jeffyjeep
03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
....and I have some more, but it will take a while to find the photos.

JumpJet
03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
How about these?

Very nice collection of glide recovery rockets. At least one person out there is building them.

John Boren

Jerry Irvine
03-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Since I don't have photos.

RG

Swing wing
Slide wing
Flop wing
Parasail
Moveable elevator

BG

Parasite
Pop Pod
Rogallo

Pretty much all of that is ejection activated.

Jerry

chrism
03-10-2013, 11:33 PM
I built and flew an Edmond's Tinee a few years ago. It was my first ever BG. It got stuck in a tree on its first and only flight. I plan to get more BG's in the near future.

stefanj
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Gliders are tricky!

I have a few glider kits, all unbuilt.

Well, I made a Raven, from an old MRN plan. The ejection charge of an A8-3 knocked the thing right in half!

I'm not sure if my Space Twins, another MRN plan kit, counts. Two little parasite gliders. almost too simple. But reliable. A good demo rocket.

mikeyd
03-11-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a few

Initiator001
03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Has anybody flown the new Estes Manta glider yet? I've used this to get qualified B BG flights in when my purpose built models don't fly right.

John Boren

I flew the original release of the Manta glider back in the 1990s. ;)

Still have it.

mikeyd
03-11-2013, 12:41 AM
I do have a few More, no pictures

Holverson Zoomie
RC F117 BG (Uses same boost rocket as the Robart Gliders in earlier post)

I have these yet to build
Mini-Dactyl
Centuri Space Shuttle
Sky Dart II
NCR Bomarc with Glide option
Estes Astro-Blaster
Estes Orbital Transport
Estes Swing Wing
Estes Sr-x
Estes F22
Holverson Swinger
Quest Shuttle Intrepid
Quest HL-20

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Estes Condor (in sizes ranging from the BT-50 original to BT-55 and BT-60 upscales)
Estes ARV Condor
Estes Manta (the orignal whose glider floated like a leaf)
Fun Rockets Zoomie
Centuri Mach 10 (original, several 1:1 clones, and several BT-80 clones)
Edmonds CiCi
Edmonds Tinee
MRN Space Twins upscale
Quest QEZ Boost Glider
Rokitflite Fake Wulf
Squirrel Works Red Baron
Squirrel Works X-RV

Randy
03-11-2013, 06:42 AM
....and an O.T. and a Semroc Space Shuttle.

These are awesome!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Jerry Irvine
03-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Don't scoff at the Mini-Dactyl. That was my backup glider for when weather was harsh or my other "real" glider was lost due to thermals or field type and wind speed issues.

They placed more often than not, because the boost performance is so good.

I would like to see Estes make a variant of the Mini-Dactyl for 18mm, and perhaps have two slightly different style gliders in the kit. They are among the easiest gliders to build, prep, fly, and recover. You should recommend airfoiling the canard. Kids could use some experience and education in craftsmanship and aerodynamics, if only on one single part.

Can you even imagine how great a BP 29mm Dactyl would be?

Paint the bottom black and the top and the fin fluorescent pink. The most visible and unnatural color. I am thinking the nose assembly could easily accept a Raven for data collection. When will a Raven have a HD camera pickup?

Jerry

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H2MQ9S

http://www.amazon.com/Esky-Camera-Hidden-Recorder-Support/dp/B008KU768Q

http://www.nvcameras.com/?gclid=CKjL_aeF9bUCFag7MgodpAoAPA

tbzep
03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Where are all the BG and RG posts

My posts thermaled away. :eek:

Let's see if I can remember my gliders...

Estes Scissor Wing Transport (flying and NIB)
Estes Orbital Transport (flying and NIB)
Estes Stratoblaster
Estes Space Shuttle full stack (if you want to call what it does, "gliding")
Estes Astroblaster (NIB)
Klingberg Rocket Wing (NIB)
Estes/Semroc Hawk
Estes/Semroc Space Plane
Centuri/Semroc SST Shuttle-1
Centuri/Semroc Space Shuttle
Centuri clone X-24 Bug
Quest HL-20

I've got a couple more, but can't think of them without being home to look at them.

sandman
03-11-2013, 09:53 AM
This one has had about eight flights before she was signed and retired.

Gleda was giddy as all get out when she saw it. ;)

She holds the record for duration on hers which will stand since they changed the rule about spitting a motor.

Chas Russell
03-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Does an upscale Delta Kat count? Matt Steele with the Pod Bay Doors Team record attempt last year. I actually built the model, but Matt flew it in Arizona.

Chas

CJU
03-11-2013, 11:28 AM
I have a handful - Estes Tercel, Sissor Wing Transport, Zooch Space Shuttle, Semroc Nighthawk, Astron Invader (which makes for the occasional interesting flight), and my personal favorite, the Cosmos Mariner :rolleyes: , which has been rebuilt 2 times in three flights.

Chris

mikeyd
03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Almost fogot my Sub-Orbital Trans-Goon!

jeffyjeep
03-11-2013, 12:59 PM
....and of course these:

Jerry Irvine
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Since you guys are posting all these flying bricks and calling them gliders, don't forget Buzz Lightyear. Falling with style! Dude, he has a 100% payload capacity!

Jerry

jeffyjeep
03-11-2013, 01:51 PM
My wife painted this Holverson Designs Silver Hawk with watercolor markers. It had a glide weight of 0.4 oz. and after power pod release it stayed up for 85 seconds on it's maiden flight. Not bad for a brick. :D

Scott6060842
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I already posted my recently finished Tercel.
Also, I just bought two Manta 2 gliders (just the gliders) to try out.
Others recently built...

Semroc Hawk
Centuri Mini Dactyl
Squirrel Works Dogfight
Estes Eagle Boost Glider
Semroc Orbital Transport
Estes Scissor Wing Transport (Original)

JumpJet
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
bought two Manta 2 gliders (just the gliders)

If you use the included rubber bands to flaunch the Manta gliders, only pull the glider back a short distance. It will climb much higher and glide for a longer time then if you pull the glider back all the way. This will cause the glider to loop.

John Boren

luke strawwalker
03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4819&highlight=zooch+shuttle

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4995&highlight=zooch+lifting+body

Later! OL JR :)

fulldec
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I build and fly mostly scratch build BGs and RGs. Here are pics of:

Decoy
Ravenling
Drunken Idiot

edit: trying to match the list with the order of the pics

ghrocketman
03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
My favorite has always been the original Astron Sky Dart

Initiator001
03-12-2013, 02:18 PM
The first rocket I flew (The first rocket I built was an Estes Astron Scout) was an Estes Falcon B/G. Used an 1/2A6-2 motor. Darn thing worked! :D I still have it.

I built an original Estes Orbital Transport back in 1972. It is now rather worn but I will still fly it every once in a while. It last flew at NARAM-52. Great flight.

I finished an original Estes Scissor Wing Transport. Never flew it.

I have built/flown several more gliders but these three I happen to have some pictures.

sandman
03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Wait, I just remembered!

My Transglobal Interceptor!

I may even have enough parts to make a few more.

Some day. :rolleyes:

And the next up was my new and improve Orbital Transport. This was a club kitbash.

The glider fly's surprisingly well too.

Jerry Irvine
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
If Estes were to make a traditional style BG with laser cut parts and pre-airfoiled wood, it would be a landmark product. The quality of a typical AMA like hand launched glider, with the ease of construction Estes customers like, and not a small detail, a rocket motor!

Such a kit should have three gliders. You never lose the pod. It should have a finger rest for hand launched trimming. There should be a Facebook page or Twitter feed for "found gliders"! That's how good they are. That's how far they fly away when they catch a thermal!

Jerry

I cite the gliders in the post by fulldec.

JumpJet
03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
it would be a landmark product

I wouldn't wait for Estes to do this I think U.S. Rockets should blaze ahead with this idea. A year or two from now let me know how it goes and maybe I'll copy your idea and try to make it even better. :)

John Boren

Jerry Irvine
03-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't wait for Estes to do this I think U.S. Rockets should blaze ahead with this idea. A year or two from now let me know how it goes and maybe I'll copy your idea and try to make it even better. :)
John BorenI hear you John. My theory is Estes has the distribution right now. The product has a beyond model rocket market since it has gliders. A possible entry-transition market (second order effects) ala kits like Damon-Hi-Flyer tried. There were no rocket motor options in the package for kites. Think about it. You are clearly a modeler. Midwest (whoever) will cheerfully custom form balsa for you.

The social media angle is something of note. It would involve non-rocketeers. Third order effects. Mindshare, John.

Jerry

Besides, this thread is your fault!

bubamech
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
The Semroc Hawk is the first glider I have worked on since I became a BAR. Can't wait to put her up in the air. I would really like to see Estes bring back the shuttle and booster kit. I built one back in the early 80's and is one of the most memorable model rocket flights I ever had.

Jerry Irvine
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
The mass-market fuselage needs to be spruce if it's not a Pterodactyl.

dlazarus6660
03-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Here is a few of my BG's. The A-7 Corsair II is an upscale of my avatar. I want to see if it will glide. I have a few others including a clone of Estes Astroblaster. I hope to finish it soon.

ghrocketman
03-18-2013, 10:53 AM
I believe the Hawk is a clone of the Astron Falcon, with thicker balsa in certain areas for better durability.

bubamech
03-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Minor damage from an A8-3 launch Saturday morning. I should have had Allstate. :chuckle:

JumpJet
03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
So it's looking like there are several closet glider people out there so to speak. You have them, you fly them but they don't show up on the forums much and they may be 20 years old. I wonder if this holds true for the rest of the rocket fliers out there.

John Boren

Chas Russell
03-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Attached is an iPhone photo of my Fly Baby B BG launch at the DARS launch last month in Frisco, TX. I mostly build and fly competition boost and rocket gliders. I did build a SEMROC Hawk and thought that I would get cute and use a 13mm motor in a streamer recovered motor mount that would eject instead of the 18mm motor. The boost was erratic, most likely due to the reduced weight of the 13mm configuration. I was concerned about the current ejection charges possibly blowing the motor pod off with an 18mm motor.

Chas

luke strawwalker
03-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Minor damage from an A8-3 launch Saturday morning. I should have had Allstate. :chuckle:

HA! Maybe "you're in good hands" but all *I* ever got from them was THE FINGER...

Allstate SUCKS! OL JR :)

Ironnerd
03-29-2013, 04:55 PM
I've built a few gliders with mixed results (prior to 1990 - ALL BAD....)

Several X-24 clones. Nice glider for small fields or days with a little wind.

Astron Spaceplane
Shuttle SST
Quest EZ-Glider (turns out to be an accurate name)
Nameless flying wing boosted glider I built for a section competition. Made it out of a plastic fork and a couple of Styrofoam to-go boxes. Wish I had taken pictures BEFORE it flew... (it did win though...)

Gliders are fun (and tricky), but my section does not have a big enough field for them... :(

fulldec
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Here's a nice pic of my Ravenling RC rocket glider returning from a launch on a B6-4. Photo courtesy of John Bergsmith.

mycrofte
03-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Yeah, I have several after getting hot & heavy into gliders a couple of years ago. I was a bit disappointed to find out they don't boost or glide very well...

fulldec
03-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I have several after getting hot & heavy into gliders a couple of years ago. I was a bit disappointed to find out they don't boost or glide very well...
Well now, compared to what? The range of performance for BG designs varies from awful (ie, Space Shuttle, Orbital Transport) to pretty darn good (competition plans, had picked materials). Some folks like the looks of the SS/OT type and they can be crowd pleasers. I like the competition style birds. They boost higher and straighter and glide much better. So much so that you can lose them in a good breeze or to a thermal.

Then there are the flexwing gliders, boost like a normal rocket, float like a parachute. They personally don't interest me, in spite of their performance. It's just not the type of rocket I want to fly.

Perhaps you just didn't find the type of glider that suited your interest.

Don

DWolman
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Could you share what you're using for gear in your Raveling model?

Looks like fun on a B6-4 -

Thanks

Here's a nice pic of my Ravenling RC rocket glider returning from a launch on a B6-4. Photo courtesy of John Bergsmith.

fulldec
03-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Could you share what you're using for gear in your Raveling model? Looks like fun on a B6-4 -

I use a "Vapor brick" receiver and servos on one small board, here's a link http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ3351 . It's mounted on the underside of the wing. The battery is a 125mah LiPo mounted in the motor mount pylon.

If you are interested in the rx, you can find it cheaper if you shop around online. Also, it can actually be cheaper to buy it as part of a replacement fuselage for the Champ than by itself! You just have to carefully cut it out of the foam fuselage.

I fly with a Spektrum DX6i transmitter.

I have also flown it on C's, it is a sweet flying model.

Don

rokitflite
04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
2.2 X upscale R/C "JET-Freak"

http://plans.rocketshoppe.com/narcomp/Jet-Freak.pdf

rokitflite
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
... And a couple more:

mojo1986
04-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Just finishing up a couple of spring projects...........

1) The Flyin' Stovepipe. This was an Estes DOM plan from 1968 that was printed in an issue of Model Rocket News. Can't remember the issue, but look in your copies from 1968 and 1969. You can also find the plan on the JimZ website (plan #56). Essentially a rocket that closely resembles an Astron Scout hauls a paper tube to altitude and then the two parts separate at ejection. Like the Scout, this rocket employs tumble recovery while the tube glides back. I was surprised when I hand tested the glider that it actually does glide very well. Looking forward to launching this one.

2) A paper model of a Space Shuttle which will be carried aloft on a Pittsco rocket that I modified for the purpose. This paper shuttle was designed as a hand-launched glider, but I modified mine for rocketry. Mine is reinforced with some balsa and hardened with CA glue. It has operating elevons. I glued a penny inside the nose to give it a little more weight and stability, and I passed a piece of elastic through the body to operate the elevons. The elevons are adjusted with plastic screws that pass through the stops. This paper plan can be purchased on Ebay for a couple of bucks or downloaded free from the web.

Joe

PaulK
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
How 'bout these?

BABAR
04-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Just finishing up a couple of spring projects...........

1) The Flyin' Stovepipe. This was an Estes DOM plan from 1968 that was printed in an issue of Model Rocket News. Can't remember the issue, but look in your copies from 1968 and 1969. You can also find the plan on the JimZ website (plan #56). Essentially a rocket that closely resembles an Astron Scout hauls a paper tube to altitude and then the two parts separate at ejection. Like the Scout, this rocket employs tumble recovery while the tube glides back. I was surprised when I hand tested the glider that it actually does glide very well. Looking forward to launching this one.

Joe

Does the glider have to be spun around it's roll axis to maintain the glide? I have played with this and have yet to get a cylindrical glider to work.

Tom

mojo1986
04-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Tom, can't answer the question for sure............all I know is that when I test glide it by throwing it like a football, it glides well and continues to spin until it hits the ground. Can't throw it far enough to test whether the spin stops and it quits gliding. Guess I'll just have to launch it!

Joe

kevinj
04-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Works a lot like one of these-
http://www.tintoyarcade.com/product_images/z/tta2269_x_zylo_flying_gyroscope__06549.jpg

kj

aeppel_cpm
04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Hand-thrown, I find the Stovepipe glider flies okay if it settles 'on-axis' with its path. You can watch it wobble sometimes, and then change direction a little and 'lock in'. It really settles down and glides smoothly. My boys play catch with it.

I never got the booster to disengage. I put spin tabs on the fins to get a good rotation rate, but could never get it to pop out. It always blew the engine pasted the hook instead. I tried a bigger vent hole, but the booster eventually crumpled on impact.

The next booster will have a much fancier release mechanism.

mojo1986
04-12-2013, 09:19 AM
I never got the booster to disengage. I put spin tabs on the fins to get a good rotation rate, but could never get it to pop out. It always blew the engine pasted the hook instead. I tried a bigger vent hole, but the booster eventually crumpled on impact.

My booster almost falls out. The launch instructions indicate that the booster should be prepped and then positioned on a piece of tape part way up the launch rod, then the glider should be lowered into position on the booster. I have high hopes for this little rocket!

Joe

mojo1986
04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Works a lot like one of these-
http://www.tintoyarcade.com/product_images/z/tta2269_x_zylo_flying_gyroscope__06549.jpg

kj

Cool! Where can I get one of those?

Joe

jeffyjeep
04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
I believe Hobbytown USA has them.

aeppel_cpm
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
My booster almost falls out. The launch instructions indicate that the booster should be prepped and then positioned on a piece of tape part way up the launch rod, then the glider should be lowered into position on the booster. I have high hopes for this little rocket!

Joe

That's what the instructions say. I just never got it to work. It always hung up in flight. Haven't given up, though - as I also think it's nifty. I'm going to make the next booster big enough to do rear-ejection, and see if I can't yank the booster out from the rear.

JumpJet
04-12-2013, 09:58 AM
My booster almost falls out.

That's how I like to set up all my multistage models. The loser the better. If I can pick up the model and not have the booster fall off, then wiggle the model a little, then the booster starts to come off or falls off, I'm a happy. Even if the booster falls off when picking up the model I can live with it. I've never had a booster come off prematurely because it was too loose. The new Two stage ARF models coming out soon from Estes were designed this way, so don't go wrapping tape around the coupler to tighten it up, since it doesn't need to be tighter.

John Boren

JohnNGA
04-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Gliders are tricky!

I have a few glider kits, all unbuilt.

Well, I made a Raven, from an old MRN plan. The ejection charge of an A8-3 knocked the thing right in half!

I'm not sure if my Space Twins, another MRN plan kit, counts. Two little parasite gliders. almost too simple. But reliable. A good demo rocket.

I built the Raven also and it came apart as well at the pod mount. Repaired it and used some gauze(ala scout) to reinforce and it will glide forever.

ghrocketman
04-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah, but with a loose booster you never get that "stuck torched booster" effect that happens when the upper stage ignites but the booster does not drop.

BrianURocket
04-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm a BAR, never did gliders as a kid, but have purchased a couple and they are in my build que.

georgegassaway
04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Here's a few.....

http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/Glider.htm

Has links to sport gliders and contest gliders.

Orbital Skydart Project:
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/OSP/OSP.htm
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/OSP/CIMG1507.JPG

Astron SpacePlane 2X and 4X R/C conversions:
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/SpacePlane/Spaceplane.html
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/SpacePlane/GeorgeVern-tb.jpg

X-1 R/C scale model
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1.htm
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1/X1pics/ztom_p1.jpg

Space Shuttle (R/C orbiter glide, computer sep of SRBs, R/C sep from ET)
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/SHUTTLE.htm
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/Shuttle-M-CD/Alex_Shuttle/shuttle-c-tb.JPG

Most recent WSMC success, 2012 US Senior Team, Bronze medal (With Kevin Johnson & Matthew Berk).

http://www.rocketrylive.com/WSMC-2012/wsmc/day5.html
http://www.rocketrylive.com/WSMC-2012/wsmc/05/05-TW-Senior_S8_Team_IMG_0888s.jpg

- George Gassaway

SEL
04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Very nice, George!

S.

Here's a few.....

http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/Glider.htm

Has links to sport gliders and contest gliders.

Orbital Skydart Project:
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/OSP/OSP.htm
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/OSP/CIMG1507.JPG

Astron SpacePlane 2X and 4X R/C conversions:
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/SpacePlane/Spaceplane.html
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/GLIDERS/SpacePlane/GeorgeVern-tb.jpg

X-1 R/C scale model
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1.htm
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/X1/X1pics/ztom_p1.jpg

Space Shuttle (R/C orbiter glide, computer sep of SRBs, R/C sep from ET)
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/SHUTTLE.htm
http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/Shuttle-M-CD/Alex_Shuttle/shuttle-c-tb.JPG

Most recent WSMC success, 2012 US Senior Team, Bronze medal (With Kevin Johnson & Matthew Berk).

http://www.rocketrylive.com/WSMC-2012/wsmc/day5.html
http://www.rocketrylive.com/WSMC-2012/wsmc/05/05-TW-Senior_S8_Team_IMG_0888s.jpg

- George Gassaway

ghrocketman
04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
George-
That Orbital Skydart and Huge R/C Astron Space Plane are MEGA COOL !!!!

Someone NEEDS to kit those !!!!

SEL
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Just wondering how many of you actually build rockets that have some form of glider recovery?

By the lack of posts here, it kind of tells me, not many. This is most likely the reason there aren't that many of them offered by kit manufactures. I love them myself.

Some modelers ask for old classic designs to be brought back out but when no one buys them they quickly go away; this of course goes for all designs not just glider types.

John Boren

Just finished this over the weekend: A 'Hornet' Class (1/2A) boost glider from the December 1969 Model Rocketry magazine. Originally designed for 18mm 1/2A6-2 motors, I've built this with a BT-5 pod for T motors.

Next up, I'll be finishing the Goose III canard boost glider for B motors that's been sitting in a shoe box for 4 or 5 years and will be my first attempt at tissueing. The plan is in the April, 1980 M.I.T Rocket Society Journal.
I built and flew one of these back in 1996 or therabouts. The boost was a bit wonky, but I think that was due to too much under camber in the canard. Once it settled into a glide it performed very well. Too well actually - it landed about 1/4 mile away and I never found it.

S.