PDA

View Full Version : Old Estes BT-58 and 63 body tubes

jetlag
11-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I am currently trying to gather the rest of the pieces I need to build an ancient Estes Saturn V. I cannot, however, find the BT-58 or Bt-63 body tubes. The -63 is to slide ones choice of engine tube(s) into. I could live without that and scratchbuild something siutable, but that darn BT-58 fits the little plastic Command Module perfectly. Totally Tubular lists nothing close, and BMS has nothing either. The various kit manu's don't seem to, but I could be wrong. I can't get Estes to pick up the phone on the Customer Service side to ask them. Any help would be appreciated!
Allen

Doug Sams
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
The -63 is to slide ones choice of engine tube(s) into. I could live without that and scratchbuild something siutable, That's one of those tubes that's entirely superfluous. While a triple 18 MMT looks kewl with an outer (BT-60) wrapper thus creating the need for the 63, you can, as you've surmised, just use a 60 in place of the 63 and then leave the 60 off the 3x18s. The trio of 18's slides easily into and out of the 60 without needing extra parts.

I think this was a classic example of excess engineering (on the original design). Musta been some of that German engineering on that one :)

Doug

ghrocketman
11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I second Sandman's idea....you gotta call x216 at Estes...That will get you directly in contact with Christine. Their "Generic" Customer Service line NEVER picks up.

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I second Sandman's idea....you gotta call x216 at Estes...That will get you directly in contact with Christine. Their "Generic" Customer Service line NEVER picks up.

WOW! According to the forum, you seconded his idea before he even had it! You're, like, psychotic or something. ;)

jetlag
11-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Thank-You very Much! I've called Christine, but I had to leave a message. That Gauchito tube won't be long enough...course I guess I could scratch a coupler... I'll see what C. has to say. Think they have 101-size couplers, too? :D
Allen

dtomko
11-03-2006, 03:45 PM
The BT-58 in the original Saturn V was a little over 12" long, so you would need more than one Gauchito tube. I was going to suggest extending the more common BT-50 motor tube up higher to meet the shorter current size BT-58. The problem is that all three parachutes won't fit in the shorter BT-58! The original Estes Sat V separated at the capsule.

Drew Tomko

Ltvscout
11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
WOW! According to the forum, you seconded his idea before he even had it! You're, like, psychotic or something. ;)
There's been problems with the time server keeping the correct time on the system. It jumps ahead 12hrs from time to time.

snaquin
11-03-2006, 05:59 PM
There's been problems with the time server keeping the correct time on the system. It jumps ahead 12hrs from time to time.

Let's do the time warp again ...

Ltvscout
11-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Let's do the time warp again ...
It's just a jump to the left...

Green Dragon
11-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Regarding the BT63 tube .... one size of flourescent light cover tube I have is an exact fit over a BT60 , although the plastic might not be best for the heat.
another choice would be some paper towel roll tubes are also a perfect fit over a BT60, and could be substituted, since the exterior finish would not show . ( might want to reinforce the tube with a soaking of ca, or coat the exterior with titebond,etc. ).

The original BT63 tube was only 2.75" long, so towel roll should hold up ok.

I'll have to dig, but I did have an original ( used/crashed) BT63 and the D engine adapter 'insert' from an original Saturn, drop me a note and I'll see if it's still kickin around.

~ AL

sandman
11-04-2006, 01:43 AM
The BT-58 is still available from Estes.

Call customer service at 800-525-7561 X 216.

You can also find it in the Gouchito kit. It's the same size body tube.

I saw one of those kits at Hobby Lobby in the clearance aisle for $3.97.

jetlag
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Found Christine today. She said the 12.75" BT-58 is no longer available, but the 6.1" for the Gauchito was. I'll use two, I guess. She also had the heavy paper centering ring sheets--well, most of them-- and the 101 tube couplers. She had the 3rd stage wraps (upper and lower, vacu-formed, not paper), and I forgot to ask her about the engine nozzles. I'll keep you posted!
Thanks for all your help!
Allen