PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiousity...

foamy
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm wondering what you good folks at Semroc have coming out next.

I couldn't resist the Centurion D (the Centurion is one of my all-time favorite designs. I really am a simple guy) and Maxi-Micron when they appeared in April and the Nike-Tomahawk before that, and on and on as long as I've been a re-BAR and customer—which are one and the same.

I always look forward to your new kits and am curious as to what's on the upcoming menu—if you're at liberty to divulge them. If not, I'll happily and patiently wait until you're ready.

tbzep
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Foamy, check out the "coming soon" kits on this page.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/Kits.asp

:cool:

foamy
07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks tb. I had clicked on the coming soon bit on their web site and there was no info.

That's a good, informative page you linked to. Thanks, again.

BEC
07-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the link.

I wonder what the heck a "Snake Jumper" is?? :D Though from the specs it's gonna look Goony - with an ST-18 body and and overall length under 9 1/2 inches.

I know Carl is always working on stuff....and NARAM is at the end of the month .... so I imagine two or three of these will be coming out "real soon now".

Chas Russell
07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Centuri had a model of the Evil Kenevil (sic) rocktet that he attempted to jump the Snake River in decades ago. I have to guess that the "Snake Jumper" is a SEMROC Goonie based on that kit.

Chas

Chas Russell
07-03-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri77-2/772cen6.html

Knievel

Got to love ninfinger.org

Chas

CPMcGraw
07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Grab the RockSim file from this LINKY. (http://www.semroc.com/Rocksim/Semroc-Snake%20Jumper.rkt)

The best performance is the C6-5, but the B6-4 is still great for smaller fields. Both have Dv numbers below 7 FPS.

The rocket itself just looks like a compressed version of the Centuri Canyon Jumper. Hope the decals have the appearance of the "compressed" real version after it flew... :D

Earl
07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm wondering what you good folks at Semroc have coming out next.

I couldn't resist the Centurion D (the Centurion is one of my all-time favorite designs. I really am a simple guy) and Maxi-Micron when they appeared in April and the Nike-Tomahawk before that, and on and on as long as I've been a re-BAR and customer—which are one and the same.

I always look forward to your new kits and am curious as to what's on the upcoming menu—if you're at liberty to divulge them. If not, I'll happily and patiently wait until you're ready.

I floated a thread at the beginning of the year speculating that possibly 2013 *might* be the year of Semroc motors. Alas, no bites or hints from Carl on where their motor work stands currently.

Still, we can hope; the year is only half over.

Earl

BEC
07-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I asked him about that at NSL. Short digest of the longer conversation: releasing new kits is vital to keeping Semroc going and therefore is higher priority. He did not say that Semroc motors, per se, are not going to happen, but he also did not give me the impression that it's any time soon. Too bad.

Earl
07-03-2013, 11:27 PM
I asked him about that at NSL. Short digest of the longer conversation: releasing new kits is vital to keeping Semroc going and therefore is higher priority. He did not say that Semroc motors, per se, are not going to happen, but he also did not give me the impression that it's any time soon. Too bad.

Aah. Good update there BEC; much appreciated. Was sorta afraid that might be the case, but still, was trying to be hopeful.

With the staff they have, it really is amazing Carl and Co. turn out all the products they do. Adding motor making to that as well I can only imagine would be a heroic addition to the list, not to mention the capital influx needed to support manufacturing hardware development. The motor survey input a good many of us here provided on the Semroc web site may have simply indicated the demand just was not there to justify such capital outlays, though I really don't think that was the only intent of that survey.

But, economics is economics: in this economy, one simply does not just jump into an undertaking like that because it *might* be a *nice* product addition; there needs to be some assurance the market is there. In this case, it may have not completely added up to a 'go' decision, at least maybe not to this date.

Maybe we'll still yet get B14s at some point in the future....

Earl

BoosterDude
07-04-2013, 08:45 AM
What ever happened to the Saturn?

Chas Russell
07-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I am only speculating, but with Estes having re-released the Saturn V a few years back, there may not be a strong enough market for a SEMROC release.

Chas

Earl
07-04-2013, 02:35 PM
I am only speculating, but with Estes having re-released the Saturn V a few years back, there may not be a strong enough market for a SEMROC release.

Chas

As I recall, I think Carl's comments around that time were similar.

I was kinda hoping Carl might 'fall back' and do the smaller version Estes Saturn V as a re-release, since that version is not out by anyone else currently and seems to be pretty popular when they pop up on ebay.

Earl

UCBadger
07-04-2013, 02:42 PM
OMG - Must save money for (at least) two of the "Coming Soon" Gemini-Titan kits.

UCBadger
07-04-2013, 03:07 PM
OMG - Must save money for (at least) two of the "Coming Soon" Gemini-Titan kits.Ummm.....about when will the NARAM releases be released?

Chas Russell
07-04-2013, 06:33 PM
UCBadger opined: "OMG - Must save money for (at least) two of the "Coming Soon" Gemini-Titan kits."

I started in 1967 and never purchased an Estes G-T kit. Almost bought a repro kit years back (PDR?), but had other priorities.

The SEMROC kit will be on my radar. I will be at NARAM. I am a Buckeye!

Chas

UCBadger
07-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I had one about 1970. Had a pretty impressive failure of engine #2--it did not ignite at launch but did burn backwards upon firing of ejection charge of engine #1. (Back in those days, the top of the ejection was "caped" with a paper cap which was just slid into the top end of the tube--no solid plug like now.) Very interesting---lots of smoke coming out of the body tube then a loud "swoosh" sound as the propellent ignited. I learned a lot on that launch! :chuckle:

A Fish Named Wallyum
07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I started in 1967 and never purchased an Estes G-T kit. Almost bought a repro kit years back (PDR?), but had other priorities.
That was next on my "to buy" list from PDR, but I had a lot of other projects going at the time and decided to wait. Next thing I know people start complaining about not getting kits and the rest, unfortunately, was history. :mad:

jeffyjeep
07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
It's going to be wonderful to be able to buy a Gemini Titan kit without having to sell a kidney!

I wonder: with a BT O.D. of 2.217" will the NC be a solid hunk of turned balsa or will it be built up like the Semroc Saturn 1B and LJII?

BEC
07-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I built the Estes Gemini Titan in my first rocket period (Jr. high and high school). As I recall the Gemini capsule fit a BT-60 and the service structure was a paper transition between BT-70 and BT-60. I think.....

Yup.... I did remember right: http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/k-21.pdf

stefanj
07-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I have a Gemini-Titan from olden days. I actually flew it once, but used B4-4 motors and it ejected about five feet off the ground.

I repaired most of the damage, but after 12 years have not gotten around to rebuilding the ****ed transparent fin can.

I would buy the Semroc fin can parts if they are available separately.

Chas Russell
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes, the motors back in the '60s had paper end caps. I actually have a Centuri C6-0 with a paper end cap in it. Collector's item, no?

Even with the clay caps, I stuff some wadding or dog barf in each motor of a cluster. Learned that lesson the hard way many, many years ago. Miss the Centuri Sure-Shots (originally RDC (Irv Wait, blessed be thy name)), but the Quest Q2G2 squib is wonderful. I fly with DARS, the Dallas section, so their launch system will handle four Estes igniters or "starters" without a shrug.

Okay. I am over 60. I need the SEMROC GT now, or pretty soon, or before my expiration date.

Chas

BEC
07-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Looks like the two Groonies (Snake Jumper and Yung'un's Nuke) are getting VERY close. They show in the "coming soon" page and instructions are up - carrying dates of 7/9/13 and 7/6/13 respectively.

ghrocketman
07-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I have an unbuilt GT from PD Rocketry that eventually I will get around to building.

mrhemi1971
07-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Anybody got a link for the G-T?

tbzep
07-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Anybody got a link for the G-T?

All the kits and potential kits are linked on the Semroc page I originally posted.

However, here's the GT's link by itself.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-88

Mark II
07-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Following in the grand (?) tradition of the Gee'hod and Earmark, we give you Yung'un's Nuke!
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-13
(click on the graphic to see more of the details)

I LMSAO when I saw that one. :chuckle:

Mark II
07-11-2013, 10:45 PM
This looks intriguing. Recovery via "Helicopter/Bright Streamer." I have no idea what this could be.

Mark II
07-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Oh! What's this? Can it be...? IT IS!

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-73
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-72

Both are listed as "Planned" at this point. Which means, maybe Christmas release?

My list is getting longer and longer...

UCBadger
07-11-2013, 11:00 PM
This looks intriguing. Recovery via "Helicopter/Bright Streamer." I have no idea what this could be."sam air" as in "sam-3?"

UCBadger
07-11-2013, 11:01 PM

Both are listed as "Planned" at this point. Which means, maybe Christmas release?

My list is getting longer and longer...My money is on much earlier........The date on the instructions for the Red-Eye is July 11, 2013!

Mark II
07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
"sam air" as in "sam-3?"That's what I was thinking too. But the rocket itself -- Kopter? Roto-Rocket?

UCBadger
07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
That's what I was thinking too. But the rocket itself -- Kopter? Roto-Rocket?Nose cone via streamer and body via Kopter thingy.....? (pretty sure I have seen something like that, but don't have a name.....

If it was a more modest rocket (less expensive) I would suggest a ejectable motor mount via streamer and body working like the old Estes Gyroc.

Mark II
07-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Nose cone via streamer and body via Kopter thingy.....? (pretty sure I have seen something like that, but don't have a name.....

If it was a more modest rocket (less expensive) I would suggest a ejectable motor mount via streamer and body working like the old Estes Gyroc.The one that came to mind (and I may be way, way off on this) was this:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/kopter/kopter10.html

or this:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/kopter/kopterf.html

But this may be real pie in the sky thinking on my part.

blackshire
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM

My list is getting longer and longer...I want a Red-Eye! This also raises another question: Since (as is mentioned in the Semroc Red-Eye instructions--the PDF is "on" the second link above) Centuri introduced this "War in Space" series so soon before their demise, were there other planned kits in the series for which concept drawings and perhaps even prototype kit designs still exist? If so, it might be possible for Semroc to re-create these un-produced "War in Space" kits to go along with the Satellite Killer and the Red-Eye.

foamy
07-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Very interesting. Just two days ago I was breezing through TRF's Centuri Gallery and was considering that very model (Satellite 62 something).

I though it would be fairly easy to clone (I like the design and the fact that it's an unusual, small rocket), but dismissed it, thinking I have way too many kits to build right now.

When they release it—I'm buying and building.

blackshire
07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Very interesting. Just two days ago I was breezing through TRF's Centuri Gallery and was considering that very model (Satellite 62 something).

I though it would be fairly easy to clone (I like the design and the fact that it's an unusual, small rocket), but dismissed it, thinking I have way too many kits to build right now.

When they release it—I'm buying and building.Ah yes, the Centuri Satellite 62SL...Sirius Rocketry has resin duplicates of its hemispherical nose cone. Speaking of plastic nose cones, a near-identical Red-Eye clone with a plastic nose cone could be made using an Estes Yankee nose cone and a 3" length of BT-20, although I have no problem with Semroc's balsa version of its #7 nose cone (Sirius Rocketry has resin duplicates of the original Centuri Red-Eye/X-24 Bug nose cone as well).

hcmbanjo
07-12-2013, 12:33 PM
When they release it—I'm buying and building.

You are thinking of the Satellite 62SL.

I cloned it on my blog at:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Satellite%2062SL

Somewhere in the kit run the antenna legs were cut from 8" down to 4".
Mine is unstable with the 4" antenna legs.

johnnwwa
07-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Looks like the two Groonies (Snake Jumper and Yung'un's Nuke) are getting VERY close. They show in the "coming soon" page and instructions are up - carrying dates of 7/9/13 and 7/6/13 respectively.

Snake Jumper

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-14

Mark II
07-14-2013, 01:43 AM

When they release it—I'm buying and building.I had actually gone as far as obtaining parts (as many as I could) from Semroc to clone the Satellite Killer and the Red Eye. What I couldn't obtain I was going to fabricate as best I could. I didn't expect to ever be able to do the foil wraps and foil stickers though. The two are still in my build queue. Guess I had better going on them! Oh, and when I can, I will buy those kits!

Mark II
07-14-2013, 02:04 AM
I also see indications of possible Retro-Repro versions of the FSI Echo 1 and the Enerjet Egg Crate.

And also the great big 2" (ST-20) entry into the Thunder series (ThunderStorm). It will be by far the largest rocket that Semroc will have ever released.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Micro Arcas, Semroc's entry into the MMX category/camp/cult.

Carl@Semroc
07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
We will be putting the five new kits online shortly. Wanted you to know first. We will not ship any until we return from NARAM. The early start for NARAM this year got us behind!

Scott6060842
07-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Interesting the Semroc Redeye takes T motors. The wrap on the original kit states 1/2A6-2 only. Someday I will stick a C6-7 in it :eek:

blackshire
07-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Interesting the Semroc Redeye takes T motors. The wrap on the original kit states 1/2A6-2 only. Someday I will stick a C6-7 in it :eek:The streamer-recovered 13 mm motor mount not only enables flyers to use a greater variety of total impulse levels in the Red-Eye, but it also makes the "Retro-Repro" Red-Eye 'NAR-Kosher' at contests, since no ejected motor cases fall un-retarded by any recovery device. Also:

The Red-Eye's streamer-lowered motor mount should also fit in Semroc's "Retro-Repro" Lil' Hercules (see: http://www.semroc.com/store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-14 ), since it also has a #7 body tube (both rockets' body tubes should be the same length), making this motor-ejecting tumble recovery model "contest-legal" as well. A similar streamer-recovered 13 mm motor mount with BT-5/BT-20 centering rings would work nicely in a clone of the Estes Streak, for which Semroc makes the nose cone and has BT-20 (instead of mylar BT-10) tubing.

ghrocketman
07-19-2013, 01:52 PM
I was hoping out of ALL the 'coming soon' entries at Semroc that ONE of this five would have been the Gemini Titan.

jeffyjeep
07-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Ditto.

UCBadger
07-19-2013, 03:26 PM
I was hoping out of ALL the 'coming soon' entries at Semroc that ONE of this five would have been the Gemini Titan.We may have seemed too eager.... ;)

Carl@Semroc
07-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I was hoping out of ALL the 'coming soon' entries at Semroc that ONE of this five would have been the Gemini Titan.The G-T has just moved to the coming soon list. It is the most requested on the list, but it has many issues. It is not a very accurate scale model; semi-scale is a generous description. The original came out about the same time as the K-22 V-2, which is also a semi-scale at best .It is one of our most successful xKits, even with its problems. Nostalgia is probably the reason.

The plastic fins are the biggest problem. I will try laser cut Lexan 3/32" clear fins when I get time The original CAB fins are hard to do for most modelers. Like the Saturn 1B, the G-T will probably be closer to the original version than trying to make it into something else (like a faithful scale model :D).

The final problem is the price. It has lots of parts make it a $40+ kit which makes it too expensive. for most people. An option is to just release it as an xKit; a bag of parts for experts.

Scott6060842
07-20-2013, 07:19 AM
An xKit as close as possible to the original would be my first choice although whatever is released count on one sold. I know the price will be fair even if it is high.

Initiator001
07-20-2013, 12:36 PM
I saw the different chrome wraps Semroc created for the Red Eye kit.

Funny. :D

It would be worth it to buy five Red Eye kits just to get one each of the differnet wraps.

blackshire
07-21-2013, 05:17 AM
The G-T has just moved to the coming soon list. It is the most requested on the list, but it has many issues. It is not a very accurate scale model; semi-scale is a generous description. The original came out about the same time as the K-22 V-2, which is also a semi-scale at best .It is one of our most successful xKits, even with its problems. Nostalgia is probably the reason.

The plastic fins are the biggest problem. I will try laser cut Lexan 3/32" clear fins when I get time The original CAB fins are hard to do for most modelers. Like the Saturn 1B, the G-T will probably be closer to the original version than trying to make it into something else (like a faithful scale model :D).

The final problem is the price. It has lots of parts make it a $40+ kit which makes it too expensive. for most people. An option is to just release it as an xKit; a bag of parts for experts.Carl, an xKit of the GT-3 would be fine by me; I'd be perfectly happy with xKits of the MPC Miniroc kits as well. Xkits of these and other small rockets (the Aero-Hi, Javelin/Super Flea, Rogue, Mini-Dactyl, and Nova mini motor-powered kits, etc.) would also make good bulk-packaged school and youth group kits, as including just one print-out of each kit's instructions from JimZ or Ye Olde Rocket Plans (including the URLs so that the teachers could print out more copies if desired, although they could just photocopy the one) with the parts would enable them to conduct group kit-building, painting, and flying sessions.

UCBadger
07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Just out of curiosity.........

Those of you who have a collection of unbuilt kits (either because you collect kits or just can't resist buying all the great rockets Semroc comes out with), how do you store them?

I had to clean out my rocket work area in my basement, because during the heavy rains our area had this spring/summer, I got some seepage in parts of my basement where there never was seepage before. Nothing important got wet, but it was time to clean and reorganize. I built a shelf under my work bench (if you call laying boards over the side braces of said bench "building" :chuckle: ) and placed my many shipping boxes containing kits on the shelf, filling said shelf pretty much up.

I am considering getting appropriate sized plastic tubs or boxes to put kits, supplies, launch stuff, and the like into. How do you store your kits if you use such tubs.....flat?.....on edge?.....

Thanks,

Curtis

sandman
07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Something like this works for me.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-56-qt-storage-box-lapis-set-of-8/-/A-11861830#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_11&term=plastic+storage+container

Maybe not specifically the ones shown but something like that.

I like the ones you can see through. It makes it easier to find a specific kit.

I get mine st my local Family Dollar Store.

They stack better if you stay with one standard size.

I'm just saying.

Eagle3
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Those of you who have a collection of unbuilt kits (either because you collect kits or just can't resist buying all the great rockets Semroc comes out with), how do you store them?

I had to clean out my rocket work area in my basement, because during the heavy rains our area had this spring/summer, I got some seepage in parts of my basement where there never was seepage before. Nothing important got wet, but it was time to clean and reorganize. I built a shelf under my work bench (if you call laying boards over the side braces of said bench "building" :chuckle: ) and placed my many shipping boxes containing kits on the shelf, filling said shelf pretty much up.

I am considering getting appropriate sized plastic tubs or boxes to put kits, supplies, launch stuff, and the like into. How do you store your kits if you use such tubs.....flat?.....on edge?.....

Thanks,

Curtis

I use Rubbermaid totes for kit storage. Each one is numbered and then I track the contents with a spreadsheet. I have a pegboard in the hobby room that I hang my favorites on. Smaller clear bins for parts and supply storage.

Buzz

jetlag
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Something like this works for me.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-56-qt-storage-box-lapis-set-of-8/-/A-11861830#prodSlot=dlp_medium_1_11&term=plastic+storage+container

Maybe not specifically the ones shown but something like that.

I like the ones you can see through. It makes it easier to find a specific kit.

I get mine st my local Family Dollar Store.

They stack better if you stay with one standard size.

I'm just saying.

Me Too! What he said!
I use the Sterilite 64 to 66 qt size clear plastic storage boxes. These are the right size for most kits, even some large ones. These bins have locking lids and one can stack a dozen on top of each other (as long as we're talking rocket kits, that is).
I have mine numbered with each one's contents written in a master notebook. This is not only important for ease of finding a particular kit, but it is necessary for insurance in case something really bad happens (fire, flood, mad wife/girlfriend...). A good video taping of your stuff isn't bad, either, for insurance purposes.
I'm up to 30 bins! :eek: I have yet to bin-ify such things as Sat V kits and kits already in large boxes, because they are protected by their own packaging and won't get wet in my shop.
I still should inventory them better, tho...

Allen

ghrocketman
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Doing the G-T as an X-Kit would be fine by me and I think most other BARs.
I don't know about being an 'expert' but most on this forum are certainly accomplished model builders.
Tell 'em to print the instructions off for the original K-21 from the Jim Z site or another.

foamy
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
It was nice to have my question answered in such a definitive fashion.

I've never built an egg lofter or a clustered rocket and when I saw the Egg Crate, I knew it would be on the order as well as the Red Eye. It's been my favorite of the lofters.

I purchased Semroc's Vega as well, to go with the Centurion and 'Bertha. I like that class of rocket and most manufacturerers have one. I don't know if I'll ever get a Big Betty, but if a deal or convenient opportunity turns up—maybe.

Finally, I snagged a Stellar Spartan. For two reasons: One, I've thought that any self respecting Centuri fanboy should have one in their collection and; two, Semroc is so good as to toss in the Red Eye as a free kit to it's SAM's, I felt it was a good time to add a 'Spartan to an order.

Looking forward to that Semroc box. I really don't need any more rockets to build (I have a right fair back-log). I just want that Semroc fix. I don't know why.

Thank you Semroc folks.

BEC
07-26-2013, 09:43 AM
My order arrived yesterday and included the Egg Crate, the Satellite Killer, the Red Eye and Yung'Un's Nuke. My unbuilt kit stash is now well over 200 :eek:

UCBadger
07-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Who does your graphics? I thought the "warinspace2013" (http://www.semroc.com/documents/pdf/warinspace2013.pdf) ad piece was really great!

Also, thanks for all who gave me ideas about un-built kit storage. I now have most of my kits in plastic boxes and will need to get another one.

jetlag
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Who does your graphics? I thought the "warinspace2013" (http://www.semroc.com/documents/pdf/warinspace2013.pdf) ad piece was really great!

Also, thanks for all who gave me ideas about un-built kit storage. I now have most of my kits in plastic boxes and will need to get another one.

It really was a relief when I finally organized my stash of kits. You can always get more...er...boxes! ;)

Allen

UCBadger
07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
It really was a relief when I finally organized my stash of kits. You can always get more...er...boxes! ;)

AllenWho said anything about "organized?" My kits are now just in plastic bins! :p