PDA

View Full Version : Semroc vs. USPS

Tau Zero
11-29-2013, 08:37 PM
One of my coworkers brought me the package below and said, "You've got a Christmas present!" I took one look at the box and was *quite* dismayed. :eek:

However, I am happy to report the only damage was some very slight denting to the end of the main body tube on the enclosed kit. :D

Kudos to Sheryl for allowing plenty of extra space and packing peanuts! :cool:

Final score: Semroc 1, USPS 0!

astronot
11-29-2013, 10:21 PM
That is awesome. Score one for the good guys!

I can relate to that horror. I have recently had two rare kits land on my doorstep, after being completely abused by USPS.

The contents of my kits didn't fair as well as yours.

That just looks like pure negligence on USPS's part.

David

UMRS
11-29-2013, 11:04 PM
This is why when customers inquire why we didn't fill their box front to rear up and down with packing material, that's why. Even a lot of paper when smashed down on will do a job on body tubes.

Some air in a box full of cardboard tubes goes a long way............

And for our 2 cents. UPS has smashed more rockets than the Post office has. However the Post office is quite expert at losing 3 to 5 packages a year :)

Green Dragon
11-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Glad the kit mostly survived.

The way packages are treated is shoddy at best. I've had ok luck with items recieved, but in my antique business, we have items crushed, lost, etc... post office once mailed me back a box of shredded paper ( priority mail box shards, with barely legible label ) and said " damaged in ship, sorry " , no recourse, no item ( crushed or not ), nothing.

I will never ship UPS again, after we shipped a pair of NOS fenders for a 66 Nova SS, wrapped up, duct taped together and wrapped in cardboard - one arrived ok, one was unwrapped, smashed and footprints on it - and we used an ENTIRE ROLL of tape, so how'd one get unwrapped and the other ok ?

Fed Ex lately just looses items, had them loose a dashpad for a 70 Chevelle, that's a 5 foot long 18x18" box, 20+ lbs, how do you totally loose it ? never to be seen again ?

makes me wonder......

Shreadvector
11-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Do you think USPS employees are intentionally crushing your boxes OR could it be simple physics? There are many, many large heavy/dense packages in the system (MUCH worse at UPS & FEDEX) and those packages will just get loaded into trucks or shipping containers and you light box can be on the bottom.

Only solution: ship in a super strong outer box that can resist crushing when a Sharper Image treadmill is sitting on top of it.

Also, a slight advantage can be a bribed using Priority Mail as super heavy items are not usually shipped that way. I said "usually"....

Green Dragon
11-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Not sure about the rocket kits , but the items I note as shipping from my dads auto shop would have BEEN the heavy top-loading items.
And, quite frankly, when I wrap a few sheets of cardboard around some fenders and use a whole roll of duct tape, even runnign over it with a bus should not neatly remove all the packaging and leave the item smushed and footprinted... so who knows.
I know UPS paid a hefy 1800.00 insurance claim after admitting thier fault, so.....

SKREAM TEAM
12-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow! Those pictures of that package are disturbing. Glad to say, my Semroc kits came the other day packed well and delivered perfectly. :)