PDA

View Full Version : Is it happening here too?

Randy
12-27-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm at my mom's this morning and I just posted a short response to Sheryl's post about Bruce and mentioned praying for them. As soon as I clicked post, I saw the word prayer change to a hyper link and as it did that, it began running an ad for prayer when I put my cursor over it. The word changed to a link almost instantly on it's own.

I have seen this happen in other places but was not visible on every pc. It would happen at work on various sites but I couldn't see the changes at home.

What gives? Does my mom's pc have a virus or is there something on YORF covertly converting certain words? Nothing else is affected.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

Randy
12-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Did a quick check to see if there were other words on other threads and yes there are. Not in every reply but in every thread there are various words that when I put the cursor on the word an ad pops up for one thing or another, I don't even have to click it. For example one thread had the word "flight 3 times in it and all 3 places ran an airline ad for cheap tickets. In another place the word finance triggered an ad for financing a house.

There seem to be many key words doing the same thing for various ads all over the place.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

chadrog
12-27-2013, 08:00 AM
It's something the computer itself has picked up, an add-on it might be referred to? It's happened to me before, I wish I could tell you how I got rid of it.

Scott6060842
12-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Boot you pc in safe mode with networking (press the F8 key while you are booting up).

Go to malewarebytes.org and download the free software.

Run the updates and perform the full scan.

Follow directions to remove infected files.

reboot computer.

Everyone should do this periodically.

Ltvscout
12-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I guarantee it's not this site doing it. You've been infected with malware. Follow the instructions in the previous reply above mine. I recommend running Ccleaner before running Malwarebytes. I then recommend running Superantispyware Free once Malwarebytes does its thing. That one two punch will clean up most infections.

sandman
12-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I had that for a few days about two months ago.

Fortunately during my weekly scan thingy my scan hunter killer got rid of it.

Randy
12-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Yep, ran a scan and it's gone now.

Thanks!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

CPMcGraw
12-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I guarantee it's not this site doing it. You've been infected with malware. Follow the instructions in the previous reply above mine. I recommend running Ccleaner before running Malwarebytes. I then recommend running Superantispyware Free once Malwarebytes does its thing. That one two punch will clean up most infections.

One word: LINUX

No viruses, no need for anti-virus programs, virtually impervious to hi-jacking. Big plus, it's the same under the hood as the Android OS on your tablet or smartphone.

Downside? Having to locate Linux-based apps that do the same tasks as your Windows apps. A few simple apps can run just fine under Wine.

Give it a try.

A Fish Named Wallyum
12-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Nothing works better than a wire brush and kerosene. Watch out for sparks, though. :eek:

shrox
12-28-2013, 12:13 PM
One word: LINUX

No viruses, no need for anti-virus programs, virtually impervious to hi-jacking. Big plus, it's the same under the hood as the Android OS on your tablet or smartphone.

Downside? Having to locate Linux-based apps that do the same tasks as your Windows apps. A few simple apps can run just fine under Wine.

Give it a try.

Linux won't run my 3D programs...

Randy
12-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Nothing works better than a wire brush and kerosene. Watch out for sparks, though. :eek:

Funny you should mention that, I made the mistake of getting an E Machine from Walmart once about 12 years ago. :mad: After about 90 days I took it out back of my garage and repaired it with an 8 pound sledge. No problems after that and I felt so much better. :D

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

dlazarus6660
12-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I had the same thing happen to me just last week. A good cleaning took care of it. :D

tbzep
12-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Linux won't run my 3D programs...
Run Linux as your base system. Do all your internet surfing, downloading, and email via Linux, which is where you get 99% of viruses and maleware.

For your Windows only programs, Install Virtualbox (virtual machine) on Linux and then install your favorite edition of Windows on it. Run Windows the way you always do. No muss, no fuss. You don't have to mess with dual booting or trying to fight with Wine to make it work. Win-Win!

You can also use Virtualbox to install any other operating system you want to play with, such as OSX, any of dozens of varieties of Linux, etc. without worrying about messing stuff up, or having to use a second computer to experiment.