PDA

View Full Version : Cineroc-Omega crash video.

tbzep
12-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I finally got around to looking at the video from the Cineroc-Omega crash. It didn't last long, so I ran it full speed, then in slow motion. In addition to my stupidity for not thinking about poopy clay nozzles, I put the camera right over a fin instead of between them. Doh! Just as I expected, transmission ended before the crash because of the low horizontal flight path behind my truck. These things are line-of-sight and I had the Rx at the truck only a few feet away so I could run the camcorder off the truck's power. The camcorder battery won't hold a charge anymore and I happened to have an inverter to run it on AC. If I had a vertical flight, it would have been a non-issue. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the quality. Photobucket converts them to flv files and drops the resolution even more than what it was as a wmv file.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Videos/th_Omega1.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Videos/?action=view&current=Omega1.flv)

CPMcGraw
12-29-2006, 03:49 PM
...I finally got around to looking at the video from the Cineroc-Omega crash. It didn't last long, so I ran it full speed, then in slow motion...

The fact that you got this much speaks a lot for the transmission quality of your (now late, lamented) transmitter. Was the unit damaged beyond salvage in the impact? It looks like the model was still ascending when the sustainer fired, if just; but was already beyond the point-of-no-return by the time the tracking smoke started. The booster separation in the slo-mo was interesting.

Zeus-cat
12-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Ouch. My condolences. I hope something is salvageable.

tbzep
12-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Nothing was salvagable on the sustainer or payload except the parachutes and the little camera. Everything was busted up pretty good, considering it power pranged off of staged D12's. I couldn't find the Tx. It landed in a marshy area, so it was likely under water. However, I've still got the booster so I guess I'll have to build another...eventually. :)

duobob
12-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Sorry about the rocket, :( But I love the video sound track Jane's Addiction Mountain Song
I belive. :p THANKS for sharing it with us and good luck with the rebuild. :)
Bob

tbzep
12-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry about the rocket, :( But I love the video sound track Jane's Addiction Mountain Song
I belive. :p THANKS for sharing it with us and good luck with the rebuild. :)
Bob

Thanks. I tried to time dynamic portions of the song in both real time and slo-mo with the rocket's ignition. I was working with some cruddy software that came with my old TV capture card, so I couldn't do much better.

dwmzmm
12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
One thing you gotta understand about the Cineroc/Omega is the Omega is way over
stable (I know, I've had the Cineroc/Omega myself) and will almost always weather cock
severely after leaving the launch rod. I lost my first Cineroc when the upper stage failed
to ignite and it was destroyed on impact.

My second Cineroc was flown using my own design model. I made it marginally stable to
give it nearly straight up boost everytime. Also flew the last several flights clustered to
give it a more "wow" factor. However, the last flight, the central (core) motor failed to
ignite (but the three strapons did light) and my second (and last) Cineroc was destroyed
on impact.

Anyway you look at it, I have to say that the Cineroc is still the best piece of model rocket
history I've ever owned. Sure wish it was still on the market today...

tbzep
12-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Good point on the overly stable condition. In the video you can see it fish tailing like overly stable rockets do. However, it didn't tilt into the wind, it tilted the direction that the vectored thrust took it, which was about 90 degrees from the wind direction. I'm sure the nose heaviness amplified the situation, though.

When I get around to building another one, I'll do everything I can to make it lighter. I'll peel the inside of the body tube, hollow out the nosecone and as much of the transition as possible, etc. It would be nice to find a reliable 9v power source that's lighter than the typical 9v battery, but I don't see that happening. With the transition hollowed out, I can put the battery down at the bottom. All those mods will help push the CG back a little and give it a little more speed at the end of the rod at the same time.

I hate to change the dimensions of the Omega just to get a straight boost. Half of the fun was to have something that looked like the vintage Cineroc-Omega from Estes. I guess the next step would be to go with a longer launch rod.. The only other things I can do are to make sure I don't use a poopy clay booster and launch only when there is no wind at all near ground level.

I might go with the lower power TX to save a bit more weight. I'd probably have to build myself a patch antenna to help compensate for lower power.