PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Semroc Virtual Design Team Forum!

Carl@Semroc
01-01-2007, 09:48 AM
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as:
1. Real Name and City/State.
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.
4. What you hope to gain from this experiment.
5. What you want the team to accomplish.
6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.)

Eagle3
01-01-2007, 10:12 AM
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as:

Evan "Buzz" Nau - Manchester, MI

2. Local flying club.
JMRC & HUVARS

3. Year started flying.
1970 - Not a BAR.!

It would be great to see some of my ideas/suggestions influencing Semroc products to come.

Help develop rocketry products that can benefit rocketeers of all ages, skill levels, and the hobby as a whole.

Engines and rocket design.

This is a great opportunity you've given us Carl. I appreciate the chance to help out in any way I can.

Buzz

Carl@Semroc
01-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Carl's Resume:

My name is Carl McLawhorn from Knightdale, NC. I have been flying since the late 1950's. We have been flying at Whitakers, NC since 1999 in NAR-TAR Section #582. I am Level 2, but prefer the smaller rockets, less money and much less walking.

My interest is in all areas, but the one I am fondest of is engine design and production.

Sheryl@Semroc
01-01-2007, 04:26 PM
My name is Sheryl. I have built and flown 1 rocket. I know nothing about the mechanics of flying but I do know what parts are needed. Oh yes, I'm Carl's wife. What ever the team comes up with, I will have the responsibility of putting it in bags, boxes ,or tubes. Sometimes I will be making parts.
5. I want the team to help us (Semroc) become a better rocket company with innovative ideas.

sandman
01-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Gordy Agnello North of Detroit, Michigan

2. Local flying club.

HUVARS and JMRC

3. Year started flying.

1958 or 59...I forget after 40 some years. :(

I'm easily bored...I just need more stuff to do. ;) I'm pretty sure it's AADS :o

Way cool designs! Anything fun! :cool: Maybe some scale stuff too! :eek:

6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Design, prototyping, building...I think I coud do that. :rolleyes:

SEL
01-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Real Name: Sean Lannan, NAR #42785, formerly TRA #250, Portland, OR.

Currently unaffilliated, but my heart is with CMASS back in MA.

I've been flying since 1967

I hope to get off my butt and contribute a little more instead of just answering the occasional question here and there.

Primary interests are building techniques, design and motors (engines). Tho I know precious little about the latter, I hope to learn a thing or two here.

S.

2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

Gus
01-01-2007, 07:09 PM
1. Real Name and City/State: Steve Kristal Royal Oak, Michigan

2. Local flying club: NAR 82815 I'm a member of both Huvars and JMRC locally. Huvars is more competition focused and JMRC is more sport, hi power, and hybrid focused.

3. Year started flying: 1967 or 68. I flew a lot for about 6 years, then took a 30 year hiatus (I was running errands ;) ). I then started flying again about 1999 with my daughters.

4. What you hope to gain from this experiment: I'd like to help expand the hobby.

5. What you want the team to accomplish: I'd like to see us focus on areas that will bring new folks into the hobby.

6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.): Rocket design, rockets that do something different.

CPMcGraw
01-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Hello, everyone!

1. Real Name and City/State: Craig McGraw, in Mobile, Alabama

2. Local flying club: Not affiliated with any club. I fly at a local area elementary school on weekends.

3. Year started flying: Approximately 1970/1971 with a plastic Vashon-style freon-powered "toy" rocket received as a gift. An Estes catalog was part of the package. My first "real" rocket was the Astron Avenger which never flew, but it wetted my taste buds...

4. What you hope to gain from this experiment: Pushing the limits of current design technology; experimenting with different design ideas; making model rockets that are more challenging and personally satisfying.

5. What you want the team to accomplish: To become a force to be reckoned with in the model rocket industry. To be every bit the equal of Estes, if not their superior. To be able to alter the course of the hobby. To lead, not simply be pulled along by the dominant industry player.

6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.): Design and flight testing.

CQBArms
01-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Craig Swinson, Richmond/MA

2. Local flying club.
ASTRE 471

3. Year started flying.
1973-1975 or so then back in 2006

Just want to have fun and discuss all things rockets.

I would like to see some team products come to market.

Probably rocket design, support, building, and technical writing.

snaquin
01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

Steve Naquin
LaPlace, Louisiana

2. Local flying club.
NAR# 85518 Level 2
NAR Section #596 SOLAR (Southeastern Louisiana Rocketry) - Baton Rouge, LA

TRA# 677 Level 2
Tripoli Louisiana Prefecture #10 - Winnsboro, LA

3. Year started flying.

Knowledge. I'll gain by sharing.

100% success on whatever project goals we are collectively requested to contribute to. That as a team our contributions would be used in Semroc production products.

Rocket design. Building kits and building scratch built rockets designed with RockSim. Primarily I prefer to use LT series tubing and parts and prefer designs with 24mm and 29mm single or cluster motor mounts. I fly mostly mid power, D - G motors. When I have the opportunity to fly at our HPR field in Winnsboro I usually plan one HPR flight and the rest are mid power - prototypes, scratch builds or SLS kits.

Tau Zero
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as:1. Real Name and City/State:

Jay Goemmer, Twin Falls, Idaho

2. Local flying club:

Occasionally fly with Tripoli Idaho (Boise), but mostly solo.

3. Year started flying:

c. 1971 - 1979, on hiatus until I got laid off in 2000, officially became a "BAR" in early November 2001.

4. What you hope to gain from this experiment:

Having an outlet for the fruits of my obsessive-compulsive rocketry "fits," as well as hammering out solutions using group input.

5. What you want the team to accomplish:

(Overly melodramatic "Mad Scientist" voice) "To TAKE OVER THE *WORLD!*" (insert maniacal laughter here) :rolleyes: :p

Seriously, to help develop high-quality products that other rocketeers will enjoy building and using, as well as promoting the "cool" factor that's been missing from many 21st Century rocketry products. Also, "thinking outside the box" to find new solutions to old problems.

6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.):

Rocket design, engine feedback, moral support, occasional building, and using my Intensively Analytical TV News Brain "for the Benefit of Rocketeers... (melodramatic pause) ...*Around the World.*" :eek:

--Oh, and some people say I'm a nice guy, too. :o ;) :D

Cheers,

Royatl
01-02-2007, 12:03 AM

Roy Green, Johns Creek , GA (formerly part of Alpharetta, northern suburb of Atlanta)
NAR 12605. First NAR Certified High Power flyer (though Jay Marsh made his flight first!).
formerly TRA 1303.
Previous NAR sections:
MASER (#103 ??),
Athens Area Rocketry Assn. (#???),
GAMMA (#494)
Attended NARAM 13, 32, 33, 36, 43, 47 (only top finish was C Streamer Duration - B division, 1st place, at NARAM 13). C-Div Meet champ at ECRM 17 (1990)

2. Local flying club.

Southern Area Rocketry (SoAR) #571

3. Year started flying.

I'm always looking for a greater variety of kits and accessories, maybe some way of making competition more accessable to the average rocket flyer.

yes!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-02-2007, 07:16 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. Bill Eichelberger, Ft. Thomas, KY
2. Member of QUARK #624 out of Cincinnati, OH
3. Started flying in 1977
4. I just hope to contribute something useful somewhere along the line. Design has never been a strong point of mine, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
5. I'd like to see something different from the group make it to market. (Not just a product for product's sake, but something viable on a commercial scale.)
6. Building and fire extinguishing. :eek: :rolleyes:

Vanel
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1) Bill Cooke, Huntsville, AL
2) HARA, NAR Section #403, Tripoli Huntsville (80)
3) 1966
4) Help make the hobby grow by playing an activre part
5) Make rocketry as fun as it was in the early days of Estes and Centuri - exotic designs, scale and competition birds, and a wide variety of motors.
6) Rocket design, support, building, engine testing.

Initiator001
01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
My turn.

1) Bob Sanford, San Diego, CA.

2) I drive up to Los Angeles to fly with the SCRA NAR Section.

3) 1970 or 1971 (I forget)

4) Generate new ideas for the hobby and have fun.

5) Bring excitement and fun back to model rocketry.

6) Marketing/sales, writing, photography, design, building and flying rockets.

Bob

John Brohm
01-02-2007, 10:08 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. John Brohm, and my home is Pittsburgh, PA. Born and raised in Canada, but have been living and working in the USA for about 12 years now. On our way to citizenship later this year, it would seem. A degree in Electrical Engineering, and an executive in a systems controls corporation.

2. Our local club is the Pittsburgh Space Command (NAR Section 473), and our members include Steve Foster & Rod Schafer, Team Champs in 2006. I have the privilege of serving PSC as the club's VP.

3. Started flying somewhere in the late 70's, but this dissipated with college. It got serious again when my son turned about 3 or 4, so I guess I "BAR'ed" around 1988 or 1989 or thereabouts.

4. Satisfaction from participating in and hopefully contributing towards the advancement of the hobby. We are constantly seeing a stream of new kids enter the hobby through our club - the challenge has been getting them to stick. Coming up with new aspects and ideas that keep the hobby exciting, fresh and dynamic will be one way towards this goal, and my hope is that "This Grand Experiment" might find ways to contribute.

5. Well I suppose the group has the potential to be a sort of Skunk Works for the hobby; I'm sure many creative and imaginative ideas will be spawned here, yet only a few might ever make it to market. But it's those few I believe we're looking for!

6. Oh I'm a builder, that's what I enjoy the most. I appreciate craftsmanship and am always looking for new techniques to try.

Honored to be part of the group and to have the chance to interact with you all.

Bruce@Semroc
01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Bruce McLawhorn Wendell, North Carolina
TARNAR 582
Year started flying 1985
I hope to gain alot of experience with rocket motors. Which souldn't be a problem considering that we will be making them. :D I want the team to help us design the best engines out there. I believe that this can be done because the ones on here have helped to make us what we are today. This team will ultimately be the future of SEMROC and I look forward to working with all of you to help us with ideas. I am interested in all of it, besides I have to be that's what I do. :) In all seriousness I enjoy all of it.

billspad
01-03-2007, 11:26 PM

Bill Spadafora Saugus, Ma

2. Local flying club.

CMASS

3. Year started flying.

I'm just here to be helpful and maybe learn something.

I thought you were supposed to tell us that!

All four and pretty much in the order you listed them.

CPMcGraw
01-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Bruce McLawhorn Wendell, North Carolina
TARNAR 582
Year started flying 1985
I hope to gain alot of experience with rocket motors. Which souldn't be a problem considering that we will be making them. :D I want the team to help us design the best engines out there. I believe that this can be done because the ones on here have helped to make us what we are today. This team will ultimately be the future of SEMROC and I look forward to working with all of you to help us with ideas. I am interested in all of it, besides I have to be that's what I do. :) In all seriousness I enjoy all of it.

Bruce,

I'm glad to finally hear from you on this forum. I was beginning to think you were just a figment of Carl's imagination... :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Bruce,

I'm glad to finally hear from you on this forum. I was beginning to think you were just a figment of Carl's imagination... :D

If this was an Aussie forum, we'd ALL be named Bruce.
(Well, according to Monty Python. :o )

I've met Bruce on several occasions. If he is a figment, Carl has a much better imagination than any of us give him credit for.

Doug Sams
01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
> 1. Real Name and City/State.
My real name is William Douglas Sams, but if anybody calls me William, I'll kill 'em :) My parents called me Doug since the git-go, and that's how it's always been.

> 2. Local flying club.
I'm currently the NAR Section Advisor for the Dallas Area Rocket Society, www.dars.org

> 3. Year started flying.
1st time was either 69 or 70 - not sure which. But my first flight was on a Thanksgiving day. It was frickin' cold out in central Kentucky that day, and we couldn't make the 6V Electro-Launch light those blue-coated Astron ignitors for anything. My cousin finally got us into the air when he spotted the free sample of nichrome wire shipped with my starter set.

> 4. What you hope to gain from this experiment.
A pat on the back and the opportunity to buy some really neat stuff.

> 6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.)
Engines.

Doug

Mark+3
01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Mark Delhaye Elgin, IL

No club, just me, my three 10 year olds, and anyone else that wants to tag along.

Started in 1974 (or there about)

I gain a little knowledge or get an idea quite often while reading the forums. I believe the SVDT will be a great creative resource for all of us.

As a team I hope we can help Semroc to provide the HOBBY (not the average Walmart impulse toy buyer) with quality innovative products MADE IN THE US of A.

Primary interest: sport rocket design and building.

Ltvscout
01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
My real name is William Douglas Sams, but if anybody calls me William, I'll kill 'em :)
Alright, Francis. ;)

Ltvscout
01-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Scott D. Hansen from Milwaukee, WI.

2. Local flying club.
WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists

3. Year started flying.
Late '69/early '70

More rocketry knowledge and a larger assortment of engines to choose from.

Help to bring affordable rocket kits and engines to the public.

Engines (port burners!) and helping to gather information for OOP rockets so we can have more clones of the old classics released.

Doug Sams
01-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Alright, Francis. ;)I wondered if anybody would get the the Stripes reference. BTW, they shot most of it in my neck of the woods. The army stuff was at Fort Knox; the bar scenes in Louisville; and the Eastern Bloc stuff was shot in the Bardstown area at a whisky distillery. The metal buildings were whisky warehouses. Warren Oates was just coming into his own with that film, then had a heart attack and died. And that's a fact, Jack.

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
My real name is William Douglas Sams, but if anybody calls me William, I'll kill 'em :) My parents called me Doug since the git-go, and that's how it's always been.

Billy Doug, on the other hand, is apparently fine, since I called him that yesterday and I'm still walking today. :D

Ltvscout
01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I wondered if anybody would get the the Stripes reference.
I was just surprised that Bill didn't beat me to it. ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I was just surprised that Bill didn't beat me to it. ;)
I would have, but I saw that I'd already been aced out. I got a late start tonight. My daughter was a finalist in the geography bee at school. She came in third in a weak field. I could answer all but two questions, so they can't have been that tough, even for middle school.

James Pierson
01-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry so late guys and Thanks for inviting me. The first thursdays of the months are Carpenter's Union meeting and I get quite swamped being the Recording Secretary. I couldn't get my dog to eat the meeting minutes so I had to attend :D .

James Pierson in Belfair, Western Washington State

2. Local flying club.
None, Front Yard :eek: Free-For-All Test Flights.

3. Year started flying.
1998 at age 31. I had never hear anything about the Sport of Model Rocketry until a neighbor flew some Estes Mighty Max kits. Soon therafter, on my 31st birthday my wife gave me the Estes Goliath and Spitfire Starter Set and I ain't been the same since.

More knowledge about all aspects of Rocketry in gereral. Satisfaction in using any talents I may have to advance and possibly influence the future of Model Rocketry.

Bring creative designs back to the hobby. Actively promote the sport with todays youth by
developing creative, fun, and low cost kits. Develope at Instruction Sheet database to draw from to speed up the kitting process. Also possibly develope an organized prototype testing procedures checklist.

Rocket Design from the first prototype to an actual kit development and arrival on store shelves.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Bazookadale
01-06-2007, 11:53 PM
BAZOOKADALE

D. Dale Greene, from beautiful Elizabethtown PA

2. Local flying club.
Southern Pennsylvania Area Association of Rocketry - SPAAR 503 (President)

3. Year started flying.

I hope to reach my legal limit of fun

Take the hobby where no one has gone before

I'm a motor nut - if I had a the money I'd be a motor manufacturer. If Semroc is looking for an employee I'll send you my resume

Pyro Pro
01-08-2007, 10:24 PM
1. David Hash; Raleigh, NC
2. TAR-NAR Section out of Battleboro, NC
3. 1996
4. Help out with developing or contributing new designs/ perfecting older ones, etc.
5. Create some really revolutionary new ideas, and make Semroc even better than it already is (if that's possible :confused: :D )
6. Rocket design, for the most part.

rocket_james
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM

James Gartrell

2. Local flying club.

Dallas Area Rocket Society

3. Year started flying.

Anytime you get a large group talking about changing or enhancing what we do, I will gain a much broader insight into what we do than I could gain in probably years.

To bring new products into rocketry that enhances the hobby for the future.

Yep! I'm not an engineer, though. If you ask me to do something that involves differential equations, my eyes will glaze over and I will be thrown into a catatonic state. :D Just consider me a generalist. I used to know a lot of stuff about 30 years ago. Now I just love rocketry and want to help in any way I can.

rocket_james
01-08-2007, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=A Fish Named Wallyum]If this was an Aussie forum, we'd ALL be named Bruce.
(Well, according to Monty Python. :o )

I've met Bruce on several occasions. If he is a figment, Carl has a much better imagination than any of us give him credit for.

I think this is one of the best reasons for being part of this group! Where else can you find such outstanding humor!
James

msprague
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Mike Sprague. I live a little East of Rochester, NY. I've been here 21 years now, but still consider myself a Michigander.

2. Local flying club.

PYRO (Potter Youth Rocketry Organization)

3. Year started flying.

Sometime in the early to mid 70's. Yeah, I'm a BAR. I got back into Rocketry due to my son going through Cub Scouts. While I'm into rocketry because I enjoy it, I also work with Cub and Boy Scouts Rocketry Projects, both on a Pack/Troop level, as well as at a Council level.

In some ways, I'm still figuring out what the experiment is (just joined today). However, I hope to both learn and also share what I know.

Many things, mostly revolving around new products, from very low end (kits Cub Scouts can afford) to large rockets that can fly on easily available engines.

That would have to be design and building. In many ways, I have trouble divorcing the two, as I enjoy both greatly.

foose4string
01-12-2007, 10:43 AM
First, I want to thank Carl for the invite.

Craig Zicafoose, I am from Earleville, MD, grew up in Va. Beach, VA

2. Local flying club.
Maryland Delaware Rocket Association(MDRA)

3. Year started flying.
Started maybe '81? First kit was a Mini Mean Machine starter set, continued with the hobby for a few years and got out of it until a few years ago. Yes, I am BAR

Hoping to further my technical understanding of model rocketry. I also like the idea of being able to suggest things and have my concept or idea be made into reality. Having a resource like Semroc to be able to do that, is a real advantage and a privledge.

To turn this back into a builders hobby again. Send the message to rocketeers that they are only limited by their imagination and the laws of physics. Semroc has been a great resource for the BARS and scratch builders. If the team could give Semroc some new and original kits while continuing to bring back the oldies, offer a selection of motors, I think Semroc could be THE name in LPR rocketry. I really like the intimate nature of the company and the customer support they provide, and the active participation in the advancement of the sport. I would like to see the company grow, but not at the expense of the outstanding profile they have now.

I considered myself a builder over all else. Support and design are also fun.

wilsotr
01-13-2007, 12:46 PM
I too would like to thank Carl for the invite ...

Tim Wilson, Williamsburg, VA since about June 06 ... formerly Titusville, FL.

2. Local flying club.
None. Yet.

3. Year started flying.
1971 or 72 ...... first kit was by a company called MPC. Found out about Estes shortly thereafter.

I'm not really sure yet ... I'd like to pass on some ideas and help out if possible, I guess. So it's more of a "giving" than "gaining" thing. From the other posts I've read here, seems like that's a pretty common theme.

I'd like to see some great ideas folded into designs not readily available in today's market.

Rocket design and payloads ... electronics, video, etc.

dwmzmm
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. David Montgomery, Katy, TX (just west of Houston).

2. Belong to the Challenger (Section # 498) and NASA/Houston Rocket Club (Section # 365).

3. Began hobby in mid 1969, right when the moon landing program was reaching its climax.
Continued hobby until 1982, when career change made living a life virtually impossible;
then another career change in 2003 helped make me a BAR and I haven't looked back
since.

4. Hope to help make a difference in our hobby to reclaim what we had back in the golden
days of model rocketry and the NAR.

5. Like to see our team help set a trend to reviving products that really stirred our
imaginations and passion in rocketry & space exploration like it did in the great years
of yesterday (see #4).

6. Primary interest is pretty much "all of the above," although I'm not really fond of HPR
due to being well outside of my taste and budget (there's still plenty of challenges in
the "low power" model rocketry to keep us busy!). In addition to sport and scale models,
I also enjoy competition flying (NAR style).

chanstevens
01-13-2007, 09:59 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

I'm a bit late to the game--got to bookmark this place and remember to troll frequently...

1--Chan Stevens, proud resident of Cincinnati OH
2--QUARK, hosts of NARAM-47
3--probably around '99 or so (high NAR #80019 should date it a bit)
4--meet new/old rocketry gurus, learn, learn, learn
5--hopefully we can bring something new/unique to rocketry, add a little excitement. Not sure if it fits with the group goal/plan, but I'd love to do anything we can to get kids into rocketry. I can't say enough about TARC, and hope we can hook bright young minds.
6--I love building more than flying, and design interests me more than most other aspects mentioned. I really admire the Shrox/Flis types out there.

I'm sort of a tweener--just missed out on the golden era of rocketry when what are now classics (or retro repros) were flying, so the RTF junk of my day didn't really interest me. When I got back into it around '99, those classics were back and I got to enjoy them for the first time. Honestly, other than the regulatory issues, has there ever been a better time to be into rocketry?

Bob Thomas
01-13-2007, 11:13 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. Bob Athanasidy (too much of a mouthful, Hence, Thomas - a translation) Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.

2. Non-affiliated

3. 1969 - post moon landing hysteria at age 9 (with the help of my older brother). Big time Centuri enthusiast, from my first NIKE SMOKE to the last kit I bought, Mercury Redstone in 1983. BAR late in 2004.

4. Not so much gain, but hope to give. Don't want to see another generation "get it, use it, move on to something else" miss out on creativity and self accomplishment.

5. The return of builders kits to the mainstream.

6. Rocket design and building.

harsas
01-14-2007, 07:24 AM
My name is Harold Sasloe and I live in Ft. Myers, FL. I have been building and flying for approximately 38 years. Currently I am President of FLASH (Florida Association of Spacemodeling Hobbyists, #688), Nar 81838 as well as Prefect of Tripoli Ft. Myers (#19), #8911. I am level 3 certified, but fly the smaller rockets far more often because they are less complicated, and much more fun to build. I have always enjoyed building the rockets more than flying them. At home, I am constantly surrounded by completed rockets (much to my wife's dismay). I am not a very public person, and therefore only post occasionally. If I do not have something of value to add, I generally keep my mouth shut, although the people I fly with might dissagree...... :rolleyes:

I am excited to be able to participate in this forum, having just visited it for the first time, and look forward to learning a lot.

Oh, yeah, and typos don't count. :D

merlyn
01-16-2007, 08:18 AM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

My first time posting to a forum (ANY forum), so who knows if this shows up correctly. (Can this thing be accessed via an email client or at least an RSS feed?)

Steve Humphrey, Warren NJ
NARHAMS and PSC :) When I fly locally it's usually just me and maybe the kids and sometimes my friend Paul at the North Branch Park.
1968-1970, 1996-present

I didn't have any gain in mind when I joined, Carl asked and I "said" sure!

I hope we can help make Semroc even more successful than it is now.

My primary interest is high power. And low power. No, make that competition. I mean scale modeling. Well I like design, too. Or is it electronics. Might be ground support equipment. ... I can't decide ... hmm, since I'm in the process of building a Nike-Tomahawk, let's say Scale Modeling ... for now.

Bob H
01-21-2007, 09:00 AM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.
1. Bob Harrington - Douglas, Massachusetts

2. CMASS

3. Started flying in 1967 for about 6 years, returned for a short time in 1991 - 1992. Returned again in 2004 just for myself but it sparked an interest in my daughter and she has been flying since mid 2005.

4. I just hope that I can contibute in some way to the success of model rocketry

5. I would like to see a new original boost glider produced.

6. building

billspad
01-21-2007, 09:50 AM
1. Bob Harrington - Douglas, Massachusetts

2. CMASS

Good, now I don't have to play dumb when you ask about the secret forum!

Carl@Semroc
01-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Good, now I don't have to play dumb when you ask about the secret forum!I stopped playing dumb years ago. People could not tell the difference!

billspad
01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I stopped playing dumb years ago. People could not tell the difference!

I tell people I'm playing dumb all the time hoping they can't tell the difference!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, yeah, that's it. I'm PLAYING dumb. (I must be good. I even had myself fooled.)

kurtschachner
01-21-2007, 03:21 PM
1. Kurt Schachner / Muskego, WI

2. WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists

3. 1968

4. Great rockets that remind me of my childhood experience. Great engines too!

5. Keep Semroc in business for all of us. Help them to produce more of what they already do. Rocket kits that sell on the marketplace and enhance the hobby as a whole.

6. Engines and rocket parts that cannot be easily cloned.

2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

RenegadeIV
01-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Hope I'm not too late... It looks like you have a great group of people together on this project and I thank you for accepting me into your group.

Rollin J. Bateman from Waterville, NY

2. Local flying club.
NAR #86004 Level 1, CTRA-NARCONN, Syracuse Rocket Club

3. Year started flying.
Mid 80's with a H2O powered Rocket. Now I'm able to share the fun with my son (which also designs and builds scratch rockets with Rocksim.)

Alway looking for ways of learning new things and sharing them with others.

I hope we are able to help come up with exciting new designs that are "out of the ordinary" that could someday be put into production. I also hope we can promote proper building techniques and methods for people to use that will help keep the hobby safe and fun.

I am primarily interested in designing and building rockets. I also like to introduce model rocketry and work with youth groups (like the scouts) in building and launching rockets.

Bob H
01-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Good, now I don't have to play dumb when you ask about the secret forum! And what a fine job of acting you performed.

bsexton
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
1. Bruce Sexton from Richmond, VA (NAR #19730 Level 2).
2. The Vikings Rocket Society - NAR Section 203
3. First start in the '60's then again about 5 years ago.
4. Have some fun, get to know some new people and "maybe" have a hand in a new design or two.
5. Have some more fun while helping SEMROC (whatever that might be).
6. I like all aspects of the hobby but probably enjoy building the most.

2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.
http://vikingsrocketsociety.org/Images/Semroc/SEMROC_SLSSky_LaserX.JPG

ghrocketman
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
1) Jerry Heffner, Michigan.
2) My backyard (works great for flying whenever weather is good, can fly through "G" power), but may join JMRC in the spring of 07. May try to Cert L1 this year....no NAR or TRA membership, but do belong to the AMA (R/C aircraft, belong to the Holly Cloud Hoppers club).
3) Started in 1977, flew until about 1988, then BAR once I discovered ebay had many old kits...bought a vintage K41 Merc-Redstone in 2001 and was hooked.
4) Have fun and offer what help/insight I can regarding what is needed within the hobby
5) Like to see much-needed new BP motor offerings (tired of the bland old A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5), especially some 18mm and 24mm port/core burners, and the continued release of retro-repro type kits. Help keep Semroc in business long into the future.
6) Engines (both BP and AP, LPR, MPR and HPR), Vintage/Repro kit building and flying, Clusters, and Sport Scale.

Chas Russell
01-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. Charles "Chas" Russell, currently in Fort Worth, TX, but originally from outside of Columbus, Ohio. NAR 9790 L1. Retired Air Force Master Sergeant missile technician.

2. Origianlly with the Columbus Society for the Advancement of Rocketry. Member of or flew against a section in Dayton, Birch Lane in Sacramento, Sections in Michigan, TACKY in Fort Worth, worked for North Coast in SLC, and serve as the competion loyal opposition to DARS. Moving around in the military leads to some strange...new friends.

3. 1967. First competition in 1968 and have never left the hobby.

4. Having seen, flown, and collected items during the First Golden Age, I am interested in the innovations brought on by the smaller manufacturers. With Estes, and to some extent Quest, being driven by a different market, I would like to see the new "old" guys do well.

5. I guess we will know in a few months. Personally, new and more motors to increase the variety of models we can fly.

6. Pretty much all catagories.

7. Worst bad habit? Pretty verbose (not to say that being verbose is pretty). Back to you, Jay...

EchoVictor
01-29-2007, 09:19 AM
"Greetings, programs!"
(Ten bonus points to whomever can guess the movie quoted...)

Thanks for the invite to join the merry band of Semroc mad scientists. I've built a couple of Semroc kits (Laser-X and Taurus) and I'm working on my first scratch-built using all Semroc parts (Centuri Rocket Times "Safat").

So, to answer the required questions....

Eric VanDommelen
Age 35
Milton, WI

2. Local flying club.
WOOSH, NAR Section #558

3. Year started flying.
Ummm, around 1978 or so. I got out of it when I went to college, but back into the hobby a year and a half ago when I was cleaning out the garage and found two boxes full (20+ models) of my old stuff.

I hope to gain a voice in the direction of what I see as the company that caters to the model rocketeer the most.

I would like to see a resurgence in the imaginitve designs that populated the hobby in the late 70's/early 80's. I love the sci-fi/fantasy stuff, and absolutely can't stand 3FNC. Boring!

My main interests are coming up with new designs and building, but I feel I can contribute in other areas as well (decal drawing, layouts, etc.)

Thanks again!
Eric

CPMcGraw
01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
"Greetings, programs!"
(Ten bonus points to whomever can guess the movie quoted...)

TRON, with an early "John Sheridan" thrown in...

Thanks for the invite to join the merry band of Semroc mad scientists. I've built a couple of Semroc kits (Laser-X and Taurus) and I'm working on my first scratch-built using all Semroc parts (Centuri Rocket Times "Safat").

Just remember not to post SVDT designs on the "Scrounged" thread -- it might cause a rupture in the space-time continuum... :D

Tau Zero
01-29-2007, 10:26 PM
7. Worst bad habit? Pretty verbose (not to say that being verbose is pretty). Back to you, Jay...(Jim Carrey over-the-top announcer's voice) "Thanks, Chas! And keep it *right here* for an apparently unlimited quantity of wall-to-wall Rocketry Talk... on the non-stop, never-ending YORF SVDT Chatterbox Marathon!" :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

(grinning like a madman while looking around) "Okay, who's next?" :p

Cheers,

Carl@Semroc
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
"Okay, who's next?" :p Not ME!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Just remember not to post SVDT designs on the "Scrounged" thread -- it might cause a rupture in the space-time continuum... :D

Wow. That would take a big truss. :eek:

Tau Zero
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Not ME!Yeah, well, you're only entries number 1 and number 3 on this thread. :rolleyes: :D :p

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
(grinning like a madman while looking around) "Okay, who's next?" :p
Cheers,

I can belch the alphabet. Would that help?

rraeford
02-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Romie Lucas, Savannah GA

2. Local flying club.

There is a club here but I've been too busy to get in touch with them. I am formerly a member of SoAR in Atlanta (where I lived for many years). Mostly I fly with my friend Bob who has been flying with my since I was 14 years old.

3. Year started flying.

Connection to others of similar interests. Perhaps to actually contribute something meaningful along the way.

Variety. When I started in rocketry as a boy, it seemed there were so many different aspects to the hobby. For many years it seemed that the only real progress in the hobby was bigger and bigger models and motors. I want small rocketry to be interesing again.

6. Your primary interest area (engines, rocket design, support, building, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Rocket Design, prototyping and building

Mark II
02-25-2007, 01:28 AM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

I accepted Carl's kind invitation to join the SVDT back at the beginning of January, but didn't find this forum until yesterday.

1. Mark Kulka, Tupper Lake, NY. Have lived in NY most of my life, but still have a sentimental connection to my native Michigan (which is, incidentally, where I began flying rockets). I have the decidedly non-technical, engineering-free profession of social worker (go figure).

2. NAR #86134 (oh yeah, I'm a 53 year old kid). My club is ASTRE #471, but because of the distance and travel time to and from the Albany area, I do most of my flying locally and solo. The last time I checked, I was the only rocketeer/NAR member in the 6 million acre Adirondack Park.

3. I discovered "model rocketry" while watching a "Sky King" rerun in the early '60's, but didn't find out that it was an actual hobby until 1967, when I wrote a letter to Vern Estes after seeing an Estes ad in a magazine. I fell for the hobby hard, and flew rockets from 1967 to 1971. I put it all on the back burner when I went away to college, but always intended to get back into it; I finally did so, after 32 years, in 2003-04. I still have all the same passion and excitement for the hobby now that I did back in 1967. I finally, finally joined NAR this year, hence my high number.

4. The experience of being part of something big, of being a contributor to a big project. Getting ever more deeply involved in the hobby and helping to insure its future. Rubbing elbows with and learning from some of the most creative and accomplished people in the hobby. Being on the inside and helping to create breakthrough products for a breakthrough company.

5. Keep the dream alive, so to speak, and insure its survival well into the future. Usher in the next golden age of rocketry (which may have already started). Insure that rocketry remains something that can spark the imagination and inspire kids to reach higher and achieve more than they ever thought they could, like it did for me.

6. I may have lofty ideals, but many of my interests are in down to earth, practical matters. They include prototyping designs and verifying that they are "buildable," verifying simulations with real-world testing in the field, and insuring that instructions and printed materials are clear, logical, concise, complete, educational and appropriate to the skill level (without patronizing or "dumbing down"). I also enjoy investigating new design concepts via some balsa, some paper, and a reaction motor. My personal design tastes mostly favor rockets that display clean, classic lines ("thoroughbreds," if you will; examples are the Lune-R1 and the Aero-Dart), but I can also appreciate more ambitious and visionary designs (and may come up with a few unusual or crackpot ideas of my own from time to time).

I have always been, and I remain keenly interested in all forms of atmospheric flight, but most of all with rocket flight. For me, it symbolizes the qualities of "purity" and "truth," for reasons that I don't fully understand.

Mark Kulka

Tau Zero
02-25-2007, 03:21 PM
I accepted Carl's kind invitation to join the SVDT back at the beginning of January, but didn't find this forum until yesterday.

1. Mark Kulka, Tupper Lake, NY.Welcome to the team, Mark!

2. NAR #86134 [SNIP] I finally, finally joined NAR this year, hence my high number. (chuckling) I also joined for the first time in 2006, and my NAR number is only 3 ahead of yours. ;) :D

Cheers,

Mark II
02-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the team, Mark!

(chuckling) I also joined for the first time in 2006, and my NAR number is only 3 ahead of yours. ;) :D

Cheers,

Yup, Jay, I noticed the similarity a couple of weeks ago. NAR HQ must have received both of our apps on the same day! :D

I have also noticed that you, too, are a long drive away from your "home" club. ;)

Mark Kulka

DeanHFox
03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
As you join the team, add a brief resume to this thread so the other members know a little more about you. You might include such things as

My real name is Dean Fox. and I live with two redhead boys, a redhead wife, and my parents (whom I keep in the basement :) ) here in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.

2. Local flying club.
WOOSH, a great bunch of folks here in the Milwaukee metro area.

3. Year started flying.
I started flying model rockets with my Astron Alpha in 1967. Boy, I wish I still had my Electro-Launch. :)

I'd like to help Carl & crew bring more kits to market (so my boys can build what *I* built as a youngster), and explore SLS versions of some of the kits (so *I* can build bigger versions as a grown-up!) :)

If we can help Semroc and other manufacturers keep existing rocketeers intrigued and recruit new folks to the hobby, I'd be tickled!

I've always been interested in exotic designs...3FNC's just don't do anything for me (well, except my Alpha, but that's a different story...I didn't know any better!). I'm moderately handy with construction, design, and finishing.

I'm celebrating my 40th year in the hobby this year, and can't wait to see what lies around the bend of the next 40! :)

johnnwwa
04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
2. Local flying club.
3. Year started flying.

1. John Ludwig Port Hadlock, Washington State

2. Olympic Peninsula Rocketry (OPROC) 4-H Club Leader

3. 1973-1974 BAR 2003

4. I do not consider this experiment a gain for me personally. I think this experiment will better serve the rocket community as a whole. I hope that this experiment will raise the bar alot higher for other company's to reach for in Model Rocketry Products. A SEMROC support system for education for kids, Bulk rocket motors and kits.

5. To help make SEMROC #1

6. I think my interest are in the field of support, building, testing. general input. I'm a attention to detail type of person. I'm real fond of any Sci-Fi kits have a few of the older estes kits . But I do build 3-4FNC rockets . Fly on a small field 13mm A-B motors mainly.

John