PDA

View Full Version : Estes 2014 Catalog

Initiator001
01-17-2014, 01:22 AM
...Is here.

The inside layout is the same as in the past several years.

The cover rocket is the new Dark Silver rocket and the catalog year is called out. My camera flash washed out the picture at the bottom which is not present on the catalog.

The E16 & F15 motor thrust curves are shown.

The non-rocket products have been moved to the back of the catalog.

A quick glance at the price list shows no price increases.

dlazarus6660
01-17-2014, 02:06 PM
If you want, you can send me the catalog and I can scan the cover for you. :rolleyes:

Looks like the same old offerings, 3FNC. They need to incorporate some of my jet designs. :p

turbofireball
01-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Looks like the 2014 catalog is now available to view and/or download online:
http://www.estesrockets.com/media//catalogs/Estes_2014_Catalog.pdf

Jerry Irvine
01-28-2014, 11:52 AM
2014 Estes catalog is back to calling motors engines. BTW they talk about the "engines" "igniting", not "starting". The motor list lists the F15 before the E16. Odd. Also the motor power table is no longer the "confusing" (relative to reality in the Estes world) NAR power chart, but a "what's available" chart (p 77), notably including these entries:

D 10.01-20.00 N-s (as if any Estes D delivers 20 N-s) *
E 20.01-30.00 N-s
F 45.01-50.00 N-s

* http://www.thrustcurve.org/browser.jsp?1category=low&2manufacturer=7&3class=D

http://www.thrustcurve.org/browser.jsp?1category=low&2manufacturer=7&3class=E

Thrustcurve.org does not have a link to Estes F or G motors at all.

Notably that leaves out the reality of the "Pro Series II" motors, or the Estes by AT motors.
List of available E, F, G motors on p 18. E30, F36, F50, G40, G80.
Thrust curves elsewhere on p 81.
No motor table exists for those motors. No "what's available" chart is inclusive of those motors at all. Looks very half-assed to me. The Estes BP motors have each a separate time-thrust chart. The PSII motors have a tiny hard to read combined chart.

I don't get why not include a "compatible" chart of performance and weight data and thrust-time curves for each motor type. I don't get it.

Weird. Almost like a major typo, but we know it is a propaganda effort.

Jerry

snaquin
01-28-2014, 01:04 PM
The Helios and Red Rider ARF models that were recalled around the beginning of October are in the new catalog on pages 38 & 39

Jerry Irvine
01-28-2014, 01:31 PM
The Helios and Red Rider ARF models that were recalled around the beginning of October are in the new catalog on pages 38 & 39 Probably after a discussion with CPSC. That recall was silly and on the basis they "could" be used with the booster systems and "may" be unstable. I suspect the recall was ended by making reference to unapproved combinations in instructions in both the booster kits and the rocket kits. Check me on that.

JumpJet
01-28-2014, 04:41 PM
The Helios and Red Rider ARF models that were recalled around the beginning of October are in the new catalog on pages 38 & 39

All current versions of these two models being shipped have a new nose cone that contains clay to make them stable 99.99% of the time while being boosted. Both models have always been stable when flown as a single stage model even without the clay.

John Boren

Jerry Irvine
01-28-2014, 04:54 PM
All current versions of these two models being shipped have a new nose cone that contains clay to make them stable 99.99% of the time while being boosted. Both models have always been stable when flown as a single stage model even without the clay.
John BorenAre you going to recommend an aftermarket upgrade to the recalled units to eliminate the CPSC mandate on the aprox 13k units manufactured?

JumpJet
01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Don't believe so, but I don't handle that sort of thing.

John Boren

Rich Holmes
01-29-2014, 09:36 AM

John Boren
Note they have new model numbers. (2884 and 2887, instead of 2484 and 2487.)

jeffyjeep
02-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I got my copy of the 2014 Estes catalog at my LHS today. He handed me (3) extra copies, so if anyone needs one--I have (3) extras. PM your mailing address to me if you need one.

jeffyjeep
02-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I still have one left if anyone wants it.

jeffyjeep
02-10-2014, 09:09 PM
The last one is spoken for. Enjoy your catalogs!

dlazarus6660
02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
I have two, one for my office and another for the 'other' office where I get my best ideas, :eek: then I wash my hands. :rolleyes:

astronwolf
02-28-2014, 04:54 PM
I have two, one for my office and another for the 'other' office where I get my best ideas, :eek: then I wash my hands. :rolleyes:
You soooo walked into that one, but decorum prevents me from responding as I usually would.

-Wolf

dlazarus6660
03-01-2014, 07:02 AM
You soooo walked into that one, but decorum prevents me from responding as I usually would.

-Wolf

PM me cause I don't know you yet? :p

bernomatic
03-01-2014, 04:49 PM

John Boren

I was just wondering if this is Estes' response to any kit that even looks questionable. "just throw a quarter ounce of clay in the nosecone to be safe. I ask because there are a couple of rockets (the Solar Flare for one) where it just seems like instead of doing a little redsign if the CG and CP weren't optimal (or even if they were) someone just decided to throw some nose weight in there just in case.

Jerry Irvine
03-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I was just wondering if this is Estes' response to any kit that even looks questionable. "just throw a quarter ounce of clay in the nosecone to be safe. I ask because there are a couple of rockets (the Solar Flare for one) where it just seems like instead of doing a little redsign if the CG and CP weren't optimal (or even if they were) someone just decided to throw some nose weight in there just in case.Their stability criterion are harsh. Look at Alpha and it never has nose weight.