PDA

View Full Version : Instruction Manual Layout Blues

Tau Zero
01-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I got all excited about writing and laying out the instruction booklet for my Tau Zero, but then I lost steam. I've been trying to get myself "undistracted" for the last month and get re-focused on the project. This is turning out to be even worse that my earlier attempts at drawing the TZ's decals. :mad:

Then Craig sends Carl an MS Publisher (which I *don't* have) file for his Stryker design, which I'm sure is all nicely laid out. :( ;)

My problem is I discovered that my old-school analog "cut and paste" method is leaving some HUGE white spaces on the pages, which is apparently the source of my mild depression. :rolleyes:

At any rate, i just need to buckle down and Git-R-Done. :eek:

Thanks for letting me vent, :o

CPMcGraw
01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I got all excited about writing and laying out the instruction booklet for my Tau Zero, but then I lost steam. I've been trying to get myself "undistracted" for the last month and get re-focused on the project. This is turning out to be even worse that my earlier attempts at drawing the TZ's decals. :mad:

December is a hard month to get "undistracted"...

Then Craig sends Carl an MS Publisher (which I *don't* have) file for his Stryker design, which I'm sure is all nicely laid out. :( ;)

Keep in mind, the Stryker already had a PDF posted on BARCLONE since about three years ago. The MSPub file borrows a lot from that earlier work...

My problem is I discovered that my old-school analog "cut and paste" method is leaving some HUGE white spaces on the pages, which is apparently the source of my mild depression. :rolleyes:

At any rate, i just need to buckle down and Git-R-Done. :eek:

You'll get there, Jay. It took me a while to get comfortable with Pub, which I'm not fully, yet. I had the advantage with using OpenOffice for so long and being able to instantly convert those pages to PDF. Learning Pub was thus just a sideways movement compared to having to learn it raw.

Try working the sequence backwards, from the last page forward. Add all the stuff you can "lift" from other instruction booklets, like images; then fill in the text gaps with what is specific to your model.

CQBArms
01-02-2007, 12:27 AM
What about Pagemaker or something of that ilk? Sometimes good software makes all the difference in the world.

CPMcGraw
01-02-2007, 12:30 AM
What about Pagemaker or something of that ilk? Sometimes good software makes all the difference in the world.

Carl uses MS Publisher for creating the SEMROC instruction booklets. We're trying to match our output to what he needs to work with. Pub is not really that hard to work with, but like any similar program, it has a learning curve. We're just new at it...:D

CQBArms
01-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Gotcha. I used to used publishe but sort of fell into PageMaker and the Adobe C2 suite for my stuff office work.

Well if nothing else they come out real nice with whatever you use. They are really easy to follow.

CPMcGraw
01-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Gotcha. I used to used publishe but sort of fell into PageMaker and the Adobe C2 suite for my stuff office work.

Well if nothing else they come out real nice with whatever you use. They are really easy to follow.

My suite of tools are MS Publisher, Adobe Photoshop Elements, and RockSim. Carl uses Corel Paint Shop Pro and Autodesk 3D Studio Max for his graphics. I've tried to figure out Blender for 3D work, but that program has a stiff learning curve. Being free doesn't equate to being easy-to-learn...

Carl@Semroc
01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Jay,

Don't get bogged down in the MSPublisher mechanics. Once I have a 3D model entered, I can generate all the illustrations in about 10-15 minutes each. All 50+ illustrations for the Mars Lander only took about two days and they are far more complex.

The toughest, most consuming part of kit instructions is page 2 and page 3, the history and background info. Craig did a good job on that; much better than I would have done. The other part we really need work on is the last pages about prepping and flying.

CPMcGraw
01-02-2007, 12:43 PM
...The other part we really need work on is the last pages about prepping and flying...

Mine, Jay's, or both?

Carl@Semroc
01-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Mine, Jay's, or both?OURS! (Semroc's) :)

Initiator001
01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I have found the creation of a kit's instructions to be the most demanding and time consuming part of any model's development.

Thoughts about the writing of AeroTech Astrobee-D kit instructions will cause me to brain-lock. :eek:

Bob

Tau Zero
01-02-2007, 10:32 PM
You'll get there, Jay. [SNIP]
Try working the sequence backwards, from the last page forward.*Ah.* _The Completion Backward Principle._ "--She's a one in a million girl..." ;) :p

Carl uses MS Publisher for creating the SEMROC instruction booklets. We're trying to match our output to what he needs to work with.And it *doesn't* help that I think things need to look "just right." :mad: :o

Don't get bogged down in the MSPublisher mechanics. Once I have a 3D model entered, I can generate all the illustrations in about 10-15 minutes each.Carl,

I'm just going to plunge ahead with my primitive method, and let you worry about fitting everything onto the pages. Once you get done with the initial layout, you can alert me to any looming problems. :cool:

The toughest, most consuming part of kit instructions is page 2 and page 3, the history and background info. Craig did a good job on that; much better than I would have done. The other part we really need work on is the last pages about prepping and flying.Hmm. I didn't do much that was different on the first few pages, aside from the "About the Tau Zero TM."

I have found the creation of a kit's instructions to be the most demanding and time consuming part of any model's development.Bob, I feel your pain, :eek: and I fully agree. :( :rolleyes:

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-02-2007, 10:33 PM
*Ah.* _The Completion Backward Principle._
"She's a one in a million girl..." ;) :p Cheers,

The Tubes?

Gus
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Jay,

Having watched Sandman create any number of kits now I can tell you you're in good company. The instructions generally take him as long to create as the kits themselves, sometimes longer.

If you promise not to tell anyone (because it is a complete and total secret), for a recently un-named holiday I received a kit which doesn't yet exist from an un-named manufacturer. The kit was marked "prototype" because it contained all of the pieces, but no directions. :p

If you and Carl want to send me a directionless Tau Zero prototype to build I'd be happy to keep that a secret too! ;)

CPMcGraw
01-02-2007, 11:20 PM
... a directionless Tau Zero prototype...

Gus, that was one of the issues we've tried to resolve. Jay ran into that problem early on using a "C" motor...:p :eek:

Tau Zero
01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Having watched Sandman create any number of kits now I can tell you you're in good company. The instructions generally take him as long to create as the kits themselves, sometimes longer.Thanks for the reassuring words!! :D :cool:

If you and Carl want to send me a directionless Tau Zero prototype to build I'd be happy to keep that a secret too! ;)(Jay's unable to pass up a *horrible* pun.) --But Steve... if the package containing the Tau Zero is *directionless,* how on earth will it make it from either North Carolina or Idaho to Michigan? :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D

I'll have to get back to you on that... :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Gus, that was one of the issues we've tried to resolve. Jay ran into that problem early on using a "C" motor...:p :eek:Actually, it wasn't directionless. --If you can call "pinwheeling" a direction. :rolleyes: :eek:

Cheers,

rocket_james
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I have MS Publisher, if that is helpful. I produce our club newsletter using that. I haven't done a lot of exotic stuff with it, though. I'm OK writing instructions, but much better at improving on them. It's hard to do without building the model, though, and does get boring at times. :eek:
James

Tau Zero
01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
I got all excited about writing and laying out the instruction booklet for my Tau Zero, but then I lost steam. I've been trying to get myself "undistracted" for the last month and get re-focused on the project.Some guy over on the "Jay's Tau Zero" thread is babbling on about something or other :confused: :

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=15348&postcount=200

--Just in case you wanted to know. :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Cheers,

Carl@Semroc
01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Jay and Craig,

Sheryl is already getting requests for reserves of these kits. ARGH! We do not have a clean method of reserving kits (and getting rid of them later.)

We need to work out some details offline.

But... does any one have better ideas of reserving kits in general?

CPMcGraw
01-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Jay and Craig,

Sheryl is already getting requests for reserves of these kits. ARGH! We do not have a clean method of reserving kits (and getting rid of them later.)

We need to work out some details offline.

But... does any one have better ideas of reserving kits in general?

One possible method: DON'T...:(

Another possible method: A web page with a simple data entry screen listing only those kits you intend to take reserve orders for. Use a drop-down list, and add kits to that list only when you're good-n-ready to; eliminate from that list those kits which are already shipping. If it isn't on the list, the computer cannot take reserve orders for it; tell everyone who lands on that page "If you don't see it listed yet, don't ask about it yet!" Save the captured data in a MySQL (or SQL) database and don't worry about it until you're ready to ship. You're already taking "votes" for other kits folks want to see; perhaps expand that one to accept requests for kits not yet on that master list. Purge the reserve lists once the kit has shipped; only accept one kit per request, and use that as the "key" for purging later.

I can't think of another way of reducing the hands-on labor besides letting the computer do the hard work. Doing this means you only update the drop-down list whenever you ship or add a kit, and you let the computer add names to the database until you're ready to ship. The computer will automatically stop taking orders for a specific kit once the kit name has been removed from the drop-down box. Sort the list using the kit name "key", and print only that portion of the database to get the reservers' names, then purge just those entries.

The fact that you're getting reserve orders for these kits means our designs are striking a chord with folks. It's probably some from this forum who have already seen the designs and know we've been discussing them together. Jay's TZ has been built by at least five people on the forum, one in Australia. It's a good design, it builds well (those alignment guides are a must!), and it flies nice when the balance is right. That's what we all want!

Tau Zero
01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
We need to work out some details offline.Agreed. Craig and I have kicked around some possibilities, but I'd prefer to discuss them over the phone, instead of even using e-mail.

How are you for Saturday? Let me know directly.

Cheers,

Carl@Semroc
01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Agreed. Craig and I have kicked around some possibilities, but I'd prefer to discuss them over the phone, instead of even using e-mail.

Cheers,

--JaySounds good!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Jay's TZ has been built by at least five people on the forum, one in Australia. It's a good design, it builds well (those alignment guides are a must!), and it flies nice when the balance is right. That's what we all want!

No, we all want a comfy toilet seat, but we'll take a well balanced Tau Zero. :eek:

In case I didn't mention it previously, I'd like to be on both lists please. :cool:

CPMcGraw
01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Agreed. Craig and I have kicked around some possibilities, but I'd prefer to discuss them over the phone, instead of even using e-mail.

Cheers,

Carl,

I'd also like the opportunity to speak over the phone with you. I'm likewise available on Saturdays, but after 3 PM Central; Saturday mornings are already committed to other duties.

Like Jay said, we've discussed some possibilities; I've even thought about a few additional things that might interest you. One day we need to set up a NetMeeting voice-and-video conference so we can all crack our monitors...

Tau Zero
01-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Jay's TZ has been built by at least five people on the forum, one in Australia.(counting) Me, Bill, Craig, Andrew Scott down under. That's four. :confused: Oh yeah, and I built the prototype for Carl. ;)

My math skills must be really bad tonight. So I'm off to bed.

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
01-18-2007, 12:21 AM
(counting) Me, Bill, Craig, Andrew Scott down under. That's four. :confused: Oh yeah, and I built the prototype for Carl. ;)

My math skills must be really bad tonight. So I'm off to bed.

Cheers,

I've built two, and I thought there might have been one other soul attempting the project; my math ain't what it used to be, either. That's why I use a computer; I can't think that straight...

CPMcGraw
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
No, we all want a comfy toilet seat, but we'll take a well balanced Tau Zero. :eek:

In case I didn't mention it previously, I'd like to be on both lists please. :cool:

Last night and tonight, I could have used a pair of hunter's socks...:(

If you're reading this message, I think you're already on the second list -- there's the general YORF where everyone begs and pleads; and then there's this YORF, which is by special invitation and where you can drool with respect... :D

Tau Zero
04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I have found the creation of a kit's instructions to be the most demanding and time consuming part of any model's development.Since my drawing skills are much closer to excrement than Napoleon Dynamite's :D , I'm afraid I'm going to have to resort to shooting photos instead. :eek: :o

Now all I need is a hand model. :rolleyes:

Or a block of styrofoam, some toothpicks, and a roll of blue painter's tape. ;)

--Jay

James Pierson
04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Jay, have you tried using Rocksim to create the images you need for the instruction pages? I have always thought it might be possible. I also wonder if the Rocksim Image files would transfer into a publisher program?

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

CPMcGraw
04-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Jay, have you tried using Rocksim to create the images you need for the instruction pages? I have always thought it might be possible. I also wonder if the Rocksim Image files would transfer into a publisher program?

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Save the images through RockSim's "Export 3D Image" menu option, and make the image a JPG. Fill the window with your image before saving; when you insert the image into Publisher, you can go into the properties of the image and scale it back down there.

I have been creating a special "exploded" file for getting individual pieces of the model, hiding various pieces that I don't need to see and rotating / zooming the ones I do. Works well enough...

James Pierson
04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the great info Craig. ;) JP
I have still been working 60 hour weeks but have managed to get the Interstellar Traveller built and primered, but not sanded. Also have built a scaled down version of the Crazy Train in hopes that it might be a good "Kids" kit as it has no fins to mess with, just 3 tube fins and 2 ring fins. It was a little more difficult to built that I first thought though :o . Next up is the Time Runner which has been converted to all Semroc parts as well and is in the built process.

Thanks, JP

James Pierson
NAR# 77907