PDA

View Full Version : HAZMAT Fees

Rocketflyer
01-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Lordy, Lordy. Went and bought three (3) E15's and got socked with a $20 HAZMAT fee. Dealer told me anything from a "D" and up now has a HAZMAT Fee on it. The BATFE is really trying to make it so expensive to buy a little "E" or "F" engine that they hope we give up.

When did this happen? I didn't get a letter from them, or notice, unless I get one several months from now, which has happened many times since I've had a LEUP.

Jack

snaquin
01-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Lordy, Lordy. Went and bought three (3) E15's and got socked with a $20 HAZMAT fee. Dealer told me anything from a "D" and up now has a HAZMAT Fee on it. The BATFE is really trying to make it so expensive to buy a little "E" or "F" engine that they hope we give up.

When did this happen? I didn't get a letter from them, or notice, unless I get one several months from now, which has happened many times since I've had a LEUP.

Jack

Jack

I'm not sure you can blame that HAZMAT charge you just got slapped with on new regulations with the BATFE ..... I think it was the dealer that was at fault. E15's are single use motors using propellant grains containing up to 30 grams of propellant or less and can be sent via US Mail ground service (parcel post) without a HAZMAT charge.

I belive this document is still current:
United States Postal Service (USPS) Parcel Post® Shippable
RMS™ Reload Kits and Single-Use Motors

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/customersite/resource_library/RegulatoryDocuments/USPS/usps_shippable_8-13-06.pdf

Perhaps the dealer didn't use parcel post or combined your shipment with other motors that didn't qualify (or just didn't know)?

I agree, the HAZMAT thing really sucks. I'd bring it to the dealers attention.

ghrocketman
01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
I just got charged hazmat for a single G64 reload, which should NOT have hazmat as it is one of the new 2-grain reload kits.

Shreadvector
01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
if the retailer is shipping via UPS, you will be "socked" even if the motor has less than 30 grams of propellant.

USPS, however, is the agency with the 30 grams and under surface parcel post exemption for qualified shippers.

Simply find out what shipping method they use before you complete your purchase. If necessary, contact them and explain it.

I've done so and had shipping switched to USPS from UPS for a bix box of A motors.