PDA

View Full Version : DOM Ganymede 274 Plan # 59

dlazarus6660
04-16-2014, 07:24 PM
While looking at my 1976 Estes catalog today I noticed the Ganymede 274 in my catalog. I looked it up under JimZ's plans and there she was. I printed the plans but they don't seem to scale.
Has anyone built this model?

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-16-2014, 07:51 PM
While looking at my 1976 Estes catalog today I noticed the Ganymede 274 in my catalog. I looked it up under JimZ's plans and there she was. I printed the plans but they don't seem to scale.
Has anyone built this model?
One of my fellow QUARKers built one when he was a kid. He flew it one day at the VOA and it landed deep in the veggies. I was out that way, so I detoured on my way back to the pad and was helping with the search. I was being REAL careful where I stepped, but as I put my foot down on one step I heard a CRUNCH. :eek:
I turned in the direction of the crunch to find him with a pained look on his face. He'd stepped on his own bird. :(

dlazarus6660
04-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Ouch!

Last year I lost an Orbital Transport glider in a pumpkin patch. I never saw it again.

aeppel_cpm
04-16-2014, 09:21 PM
I lost a rocket in a soybean field once. The plants were only about a foot high - but once the chute settled under the leaves, it was gone.

Except I found the remnants the next spring when I was out cross country skiing on the last available snow. Not much left under after a couple seasons and a harvest.

luke strawwalker
04-16-2014, 10:02 PM
I lost a rocket in a soybean field once. The plants were only about a foot high - but once the chute settled under the leaves, it was gone.

Except I found the remnants the next spring when I was out cross country skiing on the last available snow. Not much left under after a couple seasons and a harvest.

No, sadly I'm sure not... especially in solid-seeded (drilled) soybeans...

I was chopping last year and found the remains of a Cherokee D someone lost at Shiner... the tube was gone as were most of the fins, but one remained relatively intact with the decal in amazingly good shape... that's how I identified it, by the unique fin shape and fin decals...

Found the remains of a parachute this spring chopping about 100 yards south of there... not much left... looked still partially folded, but the yellow and red plastic was crispified to the point of turning to dust at the slightest touch by two years of sun and heat and cold... the rocket itself must've disintegrated I suppose, as nothing was evident.

Had a buddy lose a Blue Ninja covered with glow sticks taped to the tube for a night launch... searched a couple hours in the night after the club guys left with no luck-- unpowered light sources like that are simply NOT bright enough to see unless you're practically standing on top of it and looking straight at it long enough for your eyes to "saturate"...

We never could find it that night... looked some more the next day, but by then it was hazy trying to remember where it was most likely to land... couldn't find it. Well, I FINALLY found it about three months later, feeding cows one particularly cold and frosty morning... nearly ran over it with the tractor. The tube and chute were toast, and cows had stepped on it at some point and knocked the plastic fins off, but the nosecone and plastic fin can were salvageable and reparable, if one were so inclined...

Later! OL JR :)

dlazarus6660
04-17-2014, 04:56 AM
No, sadly I'm sure not... especially in solid-seeded (drilled) soybeans...

I was chopping last year and found the remains of a Cherokee D someone lost at Shiner... the tube was gone as were most of the fins, but one remained relatively intact with the decal in amazingly good shape... that's how I identified it, by the unique fin shape and fin decals...

Found the remains of a parachute this spring chopping about 100 yards south of there... not much left... looked still partially folded, but the yellow and red plastic was crispified to the point of turning to dust at the slightest touch by two years of sun and heat and cold... the rocket itself must've disintegrated I suppose, as nothing was evident.

Had a buddy lose a Blue Ninja covered with glow sticks taped to the tube for a night launch... searched a couple hours in the night after the club guys left with no luck-- unpowered light sources like that are simply NOT bright enough to see unless you're practically standing on top of it and looking straight at it long enough for your eyes to "saturate"...

We never could find it that night... looked some more the next day, but by then it was hazy trying to remember where it was most likely to land... couldn't find it. Well, I FINALLY found it about three months later, feeding cows one particularly cold and frosty morning... nearly ran over it with the tractor. The tube and chute were toast, and cows had stepped on it at some point and knocked the plastic fins off, but the nosecone and plastic fin can were salvageable and reparable, if one were so inclined...

Later! OL JR :)

Those **** cows don't appreciate anything.