PDA

View Full Version : shortening nose cones

ghost
01-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Hi,

For my 4" diameter rocket, it was necessary to shorten the nose cone. I cut off the top (the part w/ the eyelet and then cut off about an inch of the shoulder. How do you suggest I glue the top back on to the rest of it. I tried epoxy, but that never really bonded to the inside of the shoulder. Any suggestions? Would sanding the inside help? Thanks.

:D

snaquin
01-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi,

For my 4" diameter rocket, it was necessary to shorten the nose cone. I cut off the top (the part w/ the eyelet and then cut off about an inch of the shoulder. How do you suggest I glue the top back on to the rest of it. I tried epoxy, but that never really bonded to the inside of the shoulder. Any suggestions? Would sanding the inside help? Thanks.

:D

Don't bother with trying to bond the portion of the shoulder you have already removed, discard it. Use a plywood bulkhead with an eyebolt that fits slightly smaller than the id of the shoulder and use 80 grit sandpaper to rough up the nose cone plastic where the plywood bulkhead will rest on the inside. Use 5 min. epoxy for the bond. The key is to give the epoxy a rough surface to adhere to.